• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

School Uniforms or Regular Clothes

I went to a school with a VERY strict uniform code. Although I detested it at the time I htink it's right that schools have uniforms. They look smart and their representing the school. And as somebody has already said it gives people less things to bully about if you've not got the latest trainers etc.

Where I grew up in London the uniforms were quite strict i.e black plain shoes, blazer etc. I was shocked when I moved 'up north' and your more or less allowed to wear anything on your bottom half aslong as its black then a polo shirt and school jumper!

I loved my uniform and dreaded non-school uniform days. I would panic all week about being teased. My mum was a single parent to 4 kids and couldn't afford good stuff so we had whole wardrobes of primark clothes (I still do now :haha:) where other girls were wearing £70 coats etc

1000% support uniforms, and IMO the money is worth it to save bullying!

That is my huge fear tbh. Am a Mummy of a girl I worry so much about her growing up too fast. Nails painted as a one off is fine but I can't agree with it being a regular thing. I just feel that people need to think really carefully about what is happening to our kids. We are shocked as kids become sexually active younger and younger but don't seem to stop and think about how all that happens. It isn't an overnight thing but as they do all these right of passage type things earlier and earlier, it just follows along.

Absolutely.

As a young girl there were so many things I didn't realise were contributing to the way the outside world perceives you... as well as all the reasons mentioned, dressing with self respect is an important thing to learn (imho)

I think it's an advantage to have school uniforms. I live in the US so unless you go to a private school, you don't usually have school uniforms. Although, I think a lot of kids get made fun of because of the clothes they were, so having school uniforms would eliminate that. Although wearing regular clothes gives kids an individuality. :flower:

I'm in favour of school uniforms .....BUT with proviso's:

I do think that State Schools should not be allowed to dictate a uniform which can only be purchased from them! It's a licence to print money :( :growlmad:

I also don't believe that State Schools should be allowed to dictate huge amount of 'extras' to the school uniform like badged sports kits ... it's not necessary when a simple colour code suffices :shrug:

So yes to uniforms but only if the individual components can be bought from anywhere.

I would like a school uniform. I don't think it would get rid of bullying. Bullying is not about clothing, it's just an excuse to bully. But, I think it is appropriate. Cheaper, probably too.

I loved my school uniform! I liked how you could also put your own little take on it too if you were allowed! When we got into like year 9, 10 and 11 we could sort of make it our 'own'!
Like flared trousers, tapered blazers etc.
Really liked it.
I can't wait for Jake to have school uniform!! I used to love ironing mine!x

School uniform. At the time I hated it, looking back I realise it had so many bonuses:

- not having to worry about what you wore each day; black jumper, shirt, tie, black trousers/skirt and be done with it.
- a feeling of belonging somewhere, which for some children is hard to come by.
- a sense of unity and pride in whatever the school established.
- removing the social class element from education; no one could tell how rich you were or how poor.
- removing stereotyping and bullying for not wearing the 'right' clothes.
- looking smart and presentable
- preparing for the working world

to name but a few.

As a trainee teacher I totally support school uniforms. Generally speaking the students are in favour of them too in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->