schooling argument..

My ex husband was from Medford and went to public school so I agree with you there!

My ex husband was from Medford and went to public school so I agree with you there!

that's honestly the main reason.. it's not necessarily public schools, because I went to one too.. it's the public schools in this area.

That's fair :thumbup: It's too bad that they aren't the best. I'm a preschool teacher (was, really) and was woefully underpaid, but I found my work the most rewarding ever :)

I went to public school and I turned out just fine. I had a friend that went to a "great" private school and let me tell you there was drugs all over, sex, drinking just like there can be in public school. The only difference was that the private kids were spoiled and felt entitled to the finer things in life. Most of them came from money so if there was a kid that couldn't drive the BMW and walk around with mommy's credit card they were teased and outcasts. This was a christian school!!!! My kids, all 4 of them go to public school and are doing just fine too. They pray before their meals, say merry christmas and their schools have no issue with them doing so. It's your job as a parent to look at all schools and pick the best for your child. It's also how you raise him!!

I would be worried more about the drug use in your child's family because he will find out and kids aren't dumb and know more then they let on.

okay.. I went to public school too. I'm not saying they're ALL horrible; but the ones in my area are disgusting and have horrible staff and all sorts of horrible things go on.. and I don't want my child exposed to that.

I wanted opinions from mommies who have put their children in charter/private schools.. not a debate on whether or not public schools are "good enough" or not.

If i lived in the usa I'd probably want my ds to go private school to I don't think its bad to suggest it you want what's best for your child

If i lived in the usa I'd probably want my ds to go private school to I don't think its bad to suggest it you want what's best for your child

Not all public schools in the USA are bad! How offensive!

Not all public schools in the USA are bad! How offensive!

I don't want my thread turning into a debate, if you're going to get offended then just stop replying. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't want my thread shut down. I was asking for opinions on people who have grown up in public/charter schools, or mommies who have had their children in them.. this was not "public vs private" - it was about my OH getting offended because I suggested putting our son in a private school.

I think some replies are just trying to help explore the possibility that a private school will not necessarily solve all your concerns. That's important information to consider, especially considering the huge expense you could be going to without achieving your desired result.
As I think a bad neighbourhood could undo a lot of what you might be hoping to get from a private christian education, I wonder if focusing your energy on moving to a better area (with both public and private/charter school options that you feel confident in) might not be a better strategy? That might be a first step in helping your fella work on a lifestyle change, too.
Just trying to help you brainstorm the problem. :flower:

I think some replies are just trying to help explore the possibility that a private school will not necessarily solve all your concerns. That's important information to consider, especially considering the huge expense you could be going to without achieving your desired result.
As I think a bad neighbourhood could undo a lot of what you might be hoping to get from a private christian education, I wonder if focusing your energy on moving to a better area (with both public and private/charter school options that you feel confident in) might not be a better strategy? That might be a first step in helping your fella work on a lifestyle change, too.
Just trying to help you brainstorm the problem. :flower:

aww, I know.. I can totally understand.. and I will consider it when the time comes.. I mean, just because it's a private/charter school doesn't mean it's fantastic.. I'll be looking into a lot of different schools when the time comes.

and my OH won't move.. he won't leave his shitty job (that will NEVER turn into a career) or his grandma.. I don't know why he's so damn attached to her, it's ridiculous.. I'm stuck and can't go anywhere.. so I've gotta work with what I have, it kinda sucks.

Sometimes when a guy is holding that baby in his arms, when it's no longer just this abstract idea, they have a major perspective shift. Not always, but it can happen.
And if it makes you feel better, a guy can do worse things than love his grandma! :)
There's good material to work with there! Don't give up hope! :)

Sometimes when a guy is holding that baby in his arms, when it's no longer just this abstract idea, they have a major perspective shift. Not always, but it can happen.
And if it makes you feel better, a guy can do worse things than love his grandma! :)
There's good material to work with there! Don't give up hope! :)

well, I don't have a problem with him being family oriented.. but his grandma smokes pot too :dohh:

so, when I say his whole family.. I mean it; and she wants to be at the birth, she wants to try to raise our son (like I'm not capable?) and I just want to be left alone.. he's 21, I'm 19.. we're adults and I don't need her help.. she's trying to be nice, but I don't like her thinking I'm incapable.. she's raised all of her grandchildren because her own could never take responsibility for their own children.. and I am NOT shoving my son on anybody, and I'm taking responsibility for him.

he hates that my parents are trying to be supportive, but his grandma can be? and she's really negative.. suggesting we suck the state dry and get food stamps, low income housing, blah blah. like, nobody in his family DOESN'T live off the system.. and it's not that I'm too proud, it's that I simply don't need it.. and if OH can't provide for us, then I'll stay with my dad :shrug:

he has NO vision of how he wants his life to be.. I mean, nothing.. he just wants to work at the store he works at for the rest of his life making minimum wage? it's just stupid.. I'm just trying to get him to get up, move, start fresh.. and have positive encouragement to go far in life.. he has potential, he's just not using it :nope:

Ah.
I come from a region in Canada that is fairly infamous for pot growing. I have seen many school friends literally become pipe dreamers. Just perma-baked and very unmotivated. I don't care if people toke up recreationally once in awhile, but if it becomes a lifestyle, it can really be a problem. Especially if it isn't a lifestyle that you want to share. I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to deal with that in a partner or to have that as a model for my kid. :hugs: Hope it sorts itself out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->