Scottish footballers refuse to sing national anthem playing for team GB

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
I just wondered what others thoughts are on this.

i think if she is proud to be Scottish, and wants independence, then don't be in the GB team. I think you should be in it fully, or not at all. She said being Scottish she made a choice before the match not to sing it, I think she should have also made the choice not to play if she doesn't want to be part of GB :shrug:

Thoughts?

I agree!!
I'm actually originally from Quebec in Canada. There is movement there aswell for the province to seperate from Canada and become their own country,if atheltes from Quebec refuse to sing the national antham I feel like they don't deserve to be part of the national team at the Olympics. It's the same scenario with the Scottish player not singing the gb national anthem.

I've got to say I disagree as there isn't an option to play for just Scotland or England. I see where you're coming from but if she wanted to compete in the Olympics she had to compete for GB. If there was a Scottish team no doubt she would have played for them. I don't see why she should have to avoid the whole thing from a sportsperson/career point of view just because the team doesn't quite fit her political opinions, especially when it's not like she had any other choice :shrug:

If she feels so strongly about it then she should have not accepted a place on team gb then

Well I was right behind Bellamy and Giggs not singing it, why is the GB anthem the same as the English one. It should be a totally neutral song

its a bit silly but its just a song ffs, who really cares?

& i think its a bad song for the british anthem anyway. i know its traditional but in a country where so many people dont even believe in a God, I think it's inappropriate in this day and age.

Apparently on the 5th verse there is the line " we will crush those rebellious scotts"

ord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

lol

they should do a mash up LOL

I don't understand why they don't use Jerusalem as the GB anthem

because every 2nd word is England?! & again, very religious.

Would could they use then, something that makes you wanna stand up and do the best for your country

"Rule Britannia"

I'm English & would refuse to sing the National Anthem. I don't believe in God & I don't have any respect for the Royals.......

She is not the only person who did not sing in the GB women's team. One of the biggest problems is that God Save the Queen is also used as the English National Anthem as well as for the UK. England do not have their own National Anthem and use this one too. Jerusalem most probably should be the English anthem. Many people who live in the UK do not think of themselves as British but as Scottish/ Welsh/English/Irish.

God Save the Queen does indeed have a very anti- Scottish verse and while this is not in use these days, it is very much part of the origin of the song.

I am proud to sing bread of heaven as well being welsh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->