Second baby question

gypsy1981

Mum and expecting #2
Reaction score
Just after some advice from mums with 2 or more children. With my daughter I went a full 2 weeks overdue and had to be induced, and even then she wouldn't move and I ended up with an EMCS. This time around, I'm at 38 weeks tomorrow and I'm half convinced I'm going to go into labour soon as I'm getting a lot of signs which I never had first time around.

So my question is, has anyone had to be induced with their first child and then had their second come early or on time? I was at the midwife today and baby is 3/5 engaged which I know is unusual with second babies as they normally don't engage until labour is due to start. I also seem to be having increased discharge tonight, lower back ache and am feeling incredibly tired and emotional all of a sudden. I'm having an ELCS at 39+3 so it isn't a major deal if I don't go into labour but I would like to try and have a natural birth if I can so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I can't speak for myself because i'm just expecting #2, but from various polls on this site and according to many women i know, there definitely seems to be a trend of subsequent babies arriving earlier than their siblings. I hope you go into labour earlier and have your vbac.

Its possible, but no one can really predict for you! Some women go earlier, some don't ( I was one who didn't, induced at 41+ both times...) it's a toss up, but I'm hoping it happens for you sooner rather than later! :)

I was induced with my 1st, had him at 42 weeks. My 2nd came spontaneously at 41 weeks :).

Thanks for your replies. Yeah I realise it can go either way I'm just curious to see what other people's experiences are :) I'm hoping I go into labour naturally, this is going to be my last baby so I'd really like to have a shot at giving birth x

My First did not engage till 10cms dilated, was back to back and i was 8 days over.
My second did not engage till labour, was back to back and was 9days over.
My third did not engage, was breech, elective section and was 8days early.

None of them engaged, all were wrong position and all never turned.

First was induced at 40 weeks due to being GBS positive and already dilated 5 cm without labor.

Second labor came naturally at 38+4 after being examined. I think I was dilated 6-7 cm without labor at that point, so my body was obviously getting ready sooner.

Good luck with your LO, I hope they decide to come earlier so you can avoid being induced!

A week today til my section and baby doesn't seem in a hurry to go anywhere :( Keep hoping to wake up with contractions every morning.

From what I've read and gathered online. It only really follows the 2nd baby trend if the first baby was delivered vaginally. If the first baby was a section then the second baby again follows more of the first baby rules like how 1st labours are longer and pushing would be longer but engage earlier.

Of course all labours and births are still different and there's never one size fits all. Anyone can land either side of statistics.

For me my first was 2 weeks over due but not induced and my second arrived bang on due date.

First was 13 days over and second was 10 days over (planned c section due to failed induction) so he could of possibly been later than 10 days over!

From what I've read and gathered online. It only really follows the 2nd baby trend if the first baby was delivered vaginally. If the first baby was a section then the second baby again follows more of the first baby rules like how 1st labours are longer and pushing would be longer but engage earlier.

Of course all labours and births are still different and there's never one size fits all. Anyone can land either side of statistics.

I did wonder about that, but then thought if my body has already experienced labour and contractions then would this count? Wish she would get a move on either way - don't mind a long labour as such, I just want to experience natural labour instead of induction or c section.

First was 10 days overdue and after 3 days of produrmal (sp?) labor and waters breaking/being gbs+ i was induced to get things moving quicker.

Number two came quicker (10 hours of contractions, 5 hrs of active labor, no induction) and was born the day before his due date.

I am praying #3 is as manageable #2. Praying you get your VBAC!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->