Self-employed work while receiving SMP

hispanomum

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether its allowed to do freelance work for other companies while receiving SMP from my permanent employer?i've read conflicting things!

Does anyone know whether its allowed to do freelance work for other companies while receiving SMP from my permanent employer?i've read conflicting things!

firstly it will depend on what's in your contract. Some companies will not allow you to work for other people whilst contracted to them.

secondly, you are allowed 10 KIT (keep in touch days) which are supposed to be with your own employer to ease you back to work, do any training or updates prior to going back. I guess you could do 10 days with someone else.

Any more than 10 days and your SMP stops.

even if you work 1/2 a day, it's counted as a full day KIT wise so be carefull about what you do
hth
xxx

ps if you are freelance ie self employed , you will have to declare that with HMRC and start paying different class of NI in addition to your wages and do a tax return at the end of the financial year to make sure are paying tax and NI on the money.
Complicated!

im self employed and claimed MA but i was only allowed the same 10 KIT days as anyone on SMP

I work full time for one employer but also freelance for others (agreed with my boss).i will be paid SMP from my main employer but hope to continue selfemplyed work with my other emplyers.i think i'll call the HMRC to find out for sure,don't want to do anything ellegal but from what i've read,it seems to b allowed,but need to hear it from the horses mouth!thanks for ur posts girls x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->