sensory processing disorder......

sonny

Mummy of Tabitha
Reaction score
Hello there, i was just wondering id anyone has any experience of sensory processing disorder (spd) and if so when did you first notice signs of it, what age and what characteristics?
Ive been reseaching it online but all the supposed "checklists" have no clear guidelines or boundaries if that makes sense and dont want to rush her off to the dr's as some of the things on the checklists can be quite normal for children??
I was also wondering how you went about getting your child diagnosed, was the initial dr helpful etc? sorry its quick for now but will add more about Tabitha later on when i can.

I googled and then had a read of the first website that came up ... I think it would be very easy to go through the checklist and tick off that one's baby fits X, Y and Z and then start self-diagnosing (no offence meant). From what I read, that checklist covers most behaviour and all toddlers develop at different rates.

Certainly my boy would class as having SPD according to that list, and it's possible he does ... but we are simply classing it as developmental delay for now. He already has a special needs assistant monitoring him, and SPD hasn't been mentioned.

My son has SPD. I noticed he was different from birth. We had difficulty with feeding and we started feeding therapy and OT. He got diagnosed right before he turned 3. We've been in treatment on going for feeding issues and sensory concerns as well as working here at home.

According to my mom, I was 'different' from birth. I would flip out if there was tags on my clothes, food on my hands, seams at the toes of my socks *shudder*. As I got older the list of obvious sensory 'issues' became way too huge to list here (and I didn't even know about the internal ones, like digestion/heartbeat/respiration cues being off until I was an adult!).

Anyway- a good rule of thumb, I think, is if there is something that is causing severe difficulties for you/your child or seems to be causing her significant distress, by all means have it checked out. If the doctor doesn't take you seriously, find one who will take the time for you! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->