Sertraline

happycupcake

‘Mrs Hudson took my skull.’
Reaction score
Anyone here have a (male) partner on this antidepressant?
My husband just started it a week ago after having used a herbal version for a while but it losing its effectiveness. Isn’t any way to put this other than he is finding himself unable to finish when we’re :sex: ...
It’s a common side effect, but I’m wondering if it’s likely to stay this way or if it will likely wear off, allowing things to return to normal after a few weeks?

We're 8-12 weeks into my OH taking these and this is still a side effect he's experiencing (although he has a vastly reduced libido so not as noticeable as it normally would be lol). It's a bit of a pain when ttc but we've just kind of persevered for now, he does get there eventually, just takes a lot longer than normal.

That must be difficult when ttc. I have read you can reduce the dose but he’s already on a low dose. I also read that some herbal thing can help but I can’t remember what it is

I am a female and I had the same issue. My research indicated that it could be permanent, and I spoke to my doctor. He had me wean off it quickly and recommended I not take a SSRI again.

I was finally able to orgasm again after getting off it, but I don't think my libido will ever be the same. I used to have a very high libido, now I have really no interest and it takes DH a lot of work to get me in the mood.

Oh, that’s sounds rubbish. I have read similar but didn’t find anything definitive so wasn’t sure what to believe. So, your doctor didn’t think a different SSRI would behave differently then?

Oh, that’s sounds rubbish. I have read similar but didn’t find anything definitive so wasn’t sure what to believe. So, your doctor didn’t think a different SSRI would behave differently then?

No, granted it was my OB not a psychiatrist. That said, the depression did not return once I weaned off. I also removed myself from a negative situation and got some therapy. I do other things to manage my mental health now, like regular exercise.

I'm pretty sure the sexual side effects are due to the main mechanism of action in an SSRI, they all work on serotonin.

My ability to function (literally, I could not orgasm) was too important to risk.

I couldn’t deal with not being able to orgasm. It drives me crackers if I can’t have sex because I want it and can’t have it immediately

I couldn’t deal with not being able to orgasm. It drives me crackers if I can’t have sex because I want it and can’t have it immediately

You are preaching to the choir, I actually can have multiple ones so not being able to at all (not even on my own!) was terrifying. I would never risk that again.

Yeah, same. I can’t imagine not being able to and how frustrating, and miserable that would be! I have briefly been there before when on a different antidepressant, not an SSRI, it made it really hard to get there and sometimes impossible. I was on it for years before stopping for various reasons

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->