Severe congestion - desperate for relief

Mrs Dragonfly

Raising our toddler
Reaction score
Tips on congestion relief, please look at the list of what I've done because if one more person tells me steam I'm going to scream.

Both nasal passages are so blocked up I can't breathe through them, when I swallow anything I feel like it's trying to shove it's way from my throat into my sinuses or something, it's the most bizarre feeling ever. Went to urgent care, was given antibiotics and sent home with sinus infection diagnosis.

I've tried:
  • steam - steamy shower/sitting in steamy bathroom
  • neti pot - water either barely drips or doesn't drip at all
  • saline drops and spray
  • afrin spray
  • Musinex maximum strength
  • ice on my sinuses
  • laying forward
  • fresh air
  • hot tea
  • Vicks vabor rub - chest, under nose and on socked feet
  • peppermint oil
  • massaging, pressure and tapping sinuses

Is there anything else to try?? I'm beyond miserable and my 2 year old wont give me any slack on mom duty.

Can you buy any menthol chewing gum? I'm the same at the minute and the only thing that helps is the Blue Airwaves Menthol Chewing Gum!

Wow really Afrin didn't work? That stuff is strong! I used to use it as a kid and actually got hooked on it. Couldn't breathe without it. It is actually addictive.

Sorry I have no other suggestions as it looks like you've tried everything. Hope it gets better for you.

Can you buy any menthol chewing gum? I'm the same at the minute and the only thing that helps is the Blue Airwaves Menthol Chewing Gum!

I didn't think of that! I hate chewing gum though, but maybe I could find some menthol cough drops that will help.

Wow really Afrin didn't work? That stuff is strong! I used to use it as a kid and actually got hooked on it. Couldn't breathe without it. It is actually addictive.

Sorry I have no other suggestions as it looks like you've tried everything. Hope it gets better for you.

I was surprised when the Afrin didn't work too. I only use in desperate times and for the allowed 3 days because I've read how addictive it can be.

A nasal infection is a different ball game, for normal/ordinary colds then just steam and possibly nasal spray/menthol will be perfect because it's just a case of mucus blocking your nose but that won't do a lot for your sinuses.

The antibiotics should really help once they kick in after a few days but in some cases it can takes weeks (my dad had chronic sinus problems), everything you've done so far is all that's recommend I'm afraid :(

I am treating my sinus infection with 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar and raw honey (to taste, at least a tablespoon) in a cup of water, three times per day. My sinus infection just started getting bad yesterday, so I just started my regimen yesterday. I spent yesterday resting because my OH was off work, but this at least took away the dizziness. The congestion goes away for a few hours after this, and then it comes back, but at least it helps for a while. I use a very hot moist cloth on my face when I start to feel my sinuses swell up, and this eases the swelling a little. At least enough to keep the dizziness at bay. The dizziness is a big one for me because if I fall while pregnant and raising 4 little ones, I'm in big trouble. The neti pot isn't working for me, either, when my sinuses are inflamed. I can use it about half an hour after my vinegar drink. All of my kids are coughing today, so I'm giving them all some "apple cider" as I'm calling it. It must not taste too terrible because they're drinking it. Haha. It is worth a try. Also, steaming epsom SALT water or vinegar water instead of regular water is a big one!

Agree with PP about salt water, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry you're so stuffy :( It really makes you feel miserable! I usually just try to symptom control when I don't want to take any more medication (not PG so I could take whatever but I just don't like medication) so I will do a hot hot hot wet wash cloth on my face with either a lavender or peppermint oil drop on it and take a cough drop when my mouth dries out. Drink lots and lots of water! I hope this clears up for you soon!

I have been dealing with this for several weeks as well and haven't been able to find anything that offers relief, if one more person tells me to steam I'm going to punch them in the face! I can't even eat comfortably because I have to stop chewing every few seconds so I can breath in through my mouth, and then hold my breath again while I chew some more. I am going to the doctor today in case this is an infection and I need antibiotics because I am at my wit send. I don't get home from work until 1 am and then have to get up with my daughter at 6:30 am so I am already tired as it is, but not being able to sleep because I can't breath is just killing me. I was congested a lot through my last pregnancy but it wasn't anything close to this bad so I think I might have a sinus infection on top of regular pregnancy congestion.

I have been dealing with this for several weeks as well and haven't been able to find anything that offers relief, if one more person tells me to steam I'm going to punch them in the face! I can't even eat comfortably because I have to stop chewing every few seconds so I can breath in through my mouth, and then hold my breath again while I chew some more. I am going to the doctor today in case this is an infection and I need antibiotics because I am at my wit send. I don't get home from work until 1 am and then have to get up with my daughter at 6:30 am so I am already tired as it is, but not being able to sleep because I can't breath is just killing me. I was congested a lot through my last pregnancy but it wasn't anything close to this bad so I think I might have a sinus infection on top of regular pregnancy congestion.

Oh my word, that's how I've been. I had to go to urgent care because it was over the weekend, but feeling like I couldn't catch my breath while eating or talking was over the top. So glad I went in, by the 3rd day of the antibiotics I was doing so much better. Still congested and not 100% but I'm feeling so much better! Good luck at the doctors, I hope they can help you find relief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->