Sex education at 5....

I think thats disgusting for a 5 year old. No 5 year old would even understand that, never mind need to know it!

My son didnt learn sex ed in school until he was 10/11 and even then, I was asked permission from the school.

I think depending on the child, children start to pick up things earlier than 10/11, and would be really confusedif they wernt explained to early, which for this reason I think it should be he parents job, not school! like my little sister was 7 when my elder sister had her baby, and 9 when I had my baby, so my mum had already explained to her as she would be wondering why the he'll is happening, if we didn't say anything and wait till she was 10/11 god knows what the poor girl would be thinking!

I agree to an extent. You will always get the "where do babies come from" question.......but I chose to tell fibs at first as my son asked far too young imo. He really didnt need to know about penis and vagina at 6/7. But as he got older,8/9, then thats when I chose to tell him

Imo that is far too detailed for a 5 year oldi thought the picture of the mum tickling the babys tummy and then the discrption was too far xx

I think with thinks like this ever child learns about themselves, in there own pace and when they need too.
I never had any sex education at school and still knew everything I needed too :?
Fair enough some sex education but at 5? Too much, too young!

Anyone know about Corrie Ten Boom? Well, in her book, 'The Hiding Place' she talks about a conversation she had as a child. She was with her father at a train station and asked a question abou sex. Instead of answering right away he told her to pick up his suitcase. She couldn't because she was small and she told him it was too heavy for her. His response was that right now, while she was small, some knowledge was too heavy for her. He would answer her question when she was ready for it.
I think that is such a wise way to respond. Some knowledge is to heavy for kids. No need to get graphic and scare them!!! Answer their questions in a way that still guards them. But remember that if YOU DON"T TELL THEM, SOMEONE ELSE WILL!!! And that someone else will probably be a dirty rotten kid who only knows enough to cause harm.

I am pro sex education but that really is too much at the age of five. The page "Here are some ways...that mummies and daddies fit together" is particularly strange, a sex positions page is not appropriate for older kids never mind at five. Why would a five year old need a description on an orgasm? It is just far too explicit for that age.

"The Department for Education said: ‘By law, schools must make sure that sex and relationship education (SRE) classes are appropriate to pupils’ ages and maturity." I just have no idea how they can claim that this materiel is age appropriate. :shrug:

I do not intend to lie when my son asks where babies come from at an early age but I do not intend to tell him the whole story at that age either. We are hoping to home school our son so it will be us that teaches him about it which I am glad about since I think it is good that he should be able to talk to us openly. That said it will not all be thrown at him in one go at an age when he really has no need to know about it.

Wow wow wow....

I'm pro sex education too, but NOT for a 5yr old, hell not even for my 8yr old in school. I remember learning about age 9 or so in school just about our bodies, how girls would have periods and all that...they separated the boys and girls so I don't know what they told the boys haha. But there was nothing about actual sex, not until MUCH older. Here you can opt in or out of sex ed for your kids and there is no way I'd allow my boys at their ages to sit in a class and hear that and read that book, it is way too much for their age. We've had simple talks because I'm pregnant right now but we give honest but very very toned down answers that are age appropriate, knowing exactly how sex happens IMO is not age appropriate.

My son knows i (and women) have a vagina and a man has a penis, and i have a special video i want to show him when the more indepth questions start, which is undoubtedly soon given my present state!

I have no problem telling him about a special cuddle adult man and women have when they are married (i know, it's not necessary, but for purposes of demonstrating how old you need to be to do these things i think this is less confusing!), and also about sperm going in to meet the woman's egg and erection (he's had loads of these himself, starting when he was like 2 days old lol). Not much more really, especially not prostitute and masturbation :/

Last year when he was nearly 5, he asked me a testing question about where babies come from, and a friend overheard me mentioning to my son that babies come out of a woman's vagina, and immediately was horrified!!! She took it upon herself to tell him babies come out of a mummy's tummy button. Annoyingly this concept has been more fascinating to him than the truth and that's what version has stuck - she made me feel wrong telling him the truth and i lost my confidence. In hindsight i wish i'd told her to get lost - i'm going to have to shatter his dreams in a few months if the questions start and i'm glad to be rectifying this sillyness!

I trained as a MW for 2 years, and often people in the medical profession are much less coy about bodily parts with their own kids than the general public. I don't see the big issue, it's a body, with a function, and as long as it's not everything at once, then the child is able to handle anything.

My son knows i (and women) have a vagina and a man has a penis, and i have a special video i want to show him when the more indepth questions start, which is undoubtedly soon given my present state!

I have no problem telling him about a special cuddle adult man and women have when they are married (i know, it's not necessary, but for purposes of demonstrating how old you need to be to do these things i think this is less confusing!), and also about sperm going in to meet the woman's egg and erection (he's had loads of these himself, starting when he was like 2 days old lol). Not much more really, especially not prostitute and masturbation :/

Last year when he was nearly 5, he asked me a testing question about where babies come from, and a friend overheard me mentioning to my son that babies come out of a woman's vagina, and immediately was horrified!!! She took it upon herself to tell him babies come out of a mummy's tummy button. Annoyingly this concept has been more fascinating to him than the truth and that's what version has stuck - she made me feel wrong telling him the truth and i lost my confidence. In hindsight i wish i'd told her to get lost - i'm going to have to shatter his dreams in a few months if the questions start and i'm glad to be rectifying this sillyness!

I trained as a MW for 2 years, and often people in the medical profession are much less coy about bodily parts with their own kids than the general public. I don't see the big issue, it's a body, with a function, and as long as it's not everything at once, then the child is able to handle anything.

I totally agree. Kaya doesn't really care atm but we have a book called where do I come from (actually the one the picture of the orgasm comes from) and we read it occasionally. Kaya knows about periods (from coming to the toilet with me), and she knows the proper names for boys and girls private parts. I actually want her to never need 'the talk', I want her to have constantly and continually learned as we go.

I totally agree. Kaya doesn't really care atm but we have a book called where do I come from (actually the one the picture of the orgasm comes from) and we read it occasionally. Kaya knows about periods (from coming to the toilet with me), and she knows the proper names for boys and girls private parts. I actually want her to never need 'the talk', I want her to have constantly and continually learned as we go.

REALLY great point there :thumbup:

I don't like that book, but I am pro sex ed.

My daughter is two and knows the correct body terms, because...I teach her the correct terms for every part of her body. I will teach her about sex, when she asks, or when it "feels" appropriate to do so. She knows I have a baby in me. She assumed it comes out of my belly button, but we have watched a lot of baby shows, and she is obsessed with labour and delivery. She is actually very interested, so if it comes up, I will tell her its coming out of my vagina. I don't see the big deal in that.

My kids know. There is nothing wrong with learning how the body functions. I never went into great detail, but talked about how the penis goes into the vagina and how it feels good, and how seed comes out of the penis and makes a baby.

Just to update - this weekend my partner was looking in an old Miriam Stoppard pregnancy book i had, in which there are close up pics of birth - hairy muff included lol and each stage of the baby coming out. My son asked what DP was looking at, and DP showed him without hesitation.

We told him they don't actually come out of the tummy button, and reinforced that babies come out of a vagina - he was quite fascinated by it all. He misheard vagina though, and however many times we repeated the correct term, he calls in The Gina. So The Gina is will forever be in this family :)

Stage one of the real truth has begun!

I think the leaflet does describe things that 5 year olds don't need to know yet like prostitue or orgasm, but the general in and outs are good to know .

In germany we have books that go from that start at that age range. You know like a comic which doesnt go into the ins and outs but explain how babies are made.
this one is a swedish one which is translated into german and it is totally. There are also children's version of the Lennard nielson book(with the photography in the womb)
https://kalafudra.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/top-10-favourite-books-from-my-childhood-text/
https://www.amazon.de/Peter-Ida-Minimum-Familie-Lindstr%C3%B6m/sim/3473355674/2
and other books- this comic one is from the 1980s.

hmm this is a tough one..
I do believe that children shouldn't be sheltered from more realities of the world, but I also know that 5 year olds like to test out their new knowledge. The last thing I need is a call from school saying my son (if I had one) tried to have sex with a classmate because he was curious since learning about it.
I'm going to say that as soon as my child comes to me and asks about sex that's when I will tell her all about it, if I didn't she would then go find the information herself which I don't want.

i dont think its too young at all, i will be teaching poppy the proper names for her body parts, none of this foofoo or peepee nonsense. i don't think there's anything to be ashamed of so why not use the correct word? having said that, i think that leaflet looks good, apart from the sex positions?!?! definitely too much, no need.

So, came back to this, as my daughter is getting 'sex ed' in her kindergarten class...so 5 & 6 year olds. Apparently it is going to be proper genitalia names, and what is OK and not OK touching. It is aimed to prevent abuse.

So, came back to this, as my daughter is getting 'sex ed' in her kindergarten class...so 5 & 6 year olds. Apparently it is going to be proper genitalia names, and what is OK and not OK touching. It is aimed to prevent abuse.

I think at that age, this is an appropriate thing to teach :thumbup:

That is a really good reason to teach about it. I was molested by my step brother when I was 8 and I didn't even know what he was doing because I hadn't been taught about it yet. When I told my mom she absolutely flipped and taught me all about everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->