Sharing my stash - how many more do I need?

Mary Jo

Mummy to Adam and Joel
Reaction score
I'm planning on putting my second son into Adam's nappies, as they're mostly still in good condition and I have quite a lot of BTP. I think I'm going to need a few more but not sure how many...

I've got quite a lot of size 1 fitted nappies (16) but of those I am not sure if I'll use the cotton ones again as I prefer bamboo (there are 7 bamboos). In addition I have 3 Tots Bots Stretch, 7 BG v3&4, 3 Flip organic inserts, 4 Flip stay-dry inserts, a Pop-in and a BG Organic, all of which I think will be able to be used by both kids, poppered down or up. So 19 BTP. And about 4 size 2 bamboos on top of that. I have no idea when Adam will be potty trained, if he isn't by the time no 2 is into the size 2s, I guess I'll need more then, but for now? I just don't know.

Not sure about newborn cloth, it's very appealing but I'm still thinking about it (if I could be sure I'd definitely be able to sell it on after I would).

Anyone else sharing a stash or planning to? How many should I have overall, I wash every 3rd day and wouldn't want to do it more often. I can't remember how often a 1 month+ baby needs changing (I imagine if we don't use newborn cloth, new baby will be going into cloth around 1 month).

:flower:

Im not planning but you will be able to sell them after :thumbup:

Looks like you have plenty to start, for me I have the basics then I just buy pretty ones I see :haha:

seems like you have a great stash! why not try an AIO or AI2?

I'm new to cloth and using it on both my girls, as a guide isabel has on average 6 day nappies and 1 night and emily I change all round the clock and on average 10 times as she's a little and often pooer!

Emily was 9lb 15 when born so has always fitted normal BTP's and never needed special newborn size! I personally think in the adjustment of the first few weeks sposies are less stressful for most mums unless you're a pro with cloth.

So you will go through approx 15 to 17 nappies a day for first few months based on our usage...work out how often you can do washing with drying time factored in and that gives an idea of how many you need...?

thanks for the advice everyone. I have a feeling I'm going to be ok for now, however I will have to buy a few more wraps I think.

I'd love to buy some cute little newborn nappies, and I really am torn about it. I *know* the work of cloth is minimal, and it's not like my son would go into sposies while his brother was a newborn, so I'd be doing the laundry anyway... though to be honest my husband isn't the greatest fan of cloth so chances are Adam *would* be in sposies for the first little while... gah! A lot depends on the sort of birth I have (hoping for natural again, in a birth centre if poss) and the recovery, also how Adam is w/r/t being compliant for nappy changes as my mum will be coming down to help look after him and she has a bad back so he'll possibly go into pull-ups for a while anyway.

At the moment Adam goes through 3-4 nappies a day, in sposies overnight (that's my husband again, with new baby I hope to do cloth overnight), so if new baby is in 8-10, that's max 14 a day... we have about 30, but that doesn't include the size 1 cotton nappies I wasn't planning on using, or the 3-4 flat bamboo nappies I forgot we have, so with those that comes to about 42, or 3 days' worth, but I know newborns don't go through nappies at that rate for long, and we will have some sposies on hand, so maybe I'd still be able to keep to a wash every 3rd day?

Definitely will need some more wraps, though, that might be where my council voucher goes. :lol:

How many can you washing machine wash properly in one go?

Surely if you have 2 in cloth nappies you would need to wash every other day, that would be equivalent to 4 days' worth of nappies.....?

I would decide roughly what you want but wait until September ish to buy them as you never know when your older son will potty train. You might end up with only the younger one in cloth.

About the washing machine, I don't know, because we're going to be moving in the next couple of months and we might be leaving our current washing machine (capacity 6.5kg) here and getting a new one. But you're right, I didn't think of that, could be that I can't do two days' worth for two children in one go. At the moment one load would be about 9-12 nappies, plus liners, boosters, cloth wipes and flannels. I think I need to weigh that lot dry to see what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"