She wont stop putting her hands in the way...

P

punk_pig

Sometimes I can latch right and sometimes I can't, so I've been reading up on making sure her lips are flanged and tips on how to encourage a wider gape etc. but I don't know how I'll ever manage to try any of these things as I haven't got enough hands or strength as it is. :cry:
LO goes from asleep to ravenous within seconds so when at the breast she is constantly grabbing my nipples with her fingers (oh my god sharp nails on tender area) trying to put her fingers in her mouth at the same time as my nipple or bunching up her fists under her chin. I've actually pulled a muscle in my hand attempting to hold her still (cross cradle position). So I feel any attempt at calmly applying pressure to her shoulder blades and ensuring the chin drives in to my breast while using my index finger to gently pull down on the chin is sooooooooooooooo far away from realistic. As soon as her mouth is at all open and her hands are out of the way I shove my boob in and it is so demoralising when I realise it isn't right and I'm going to have to unlatch her. My midwife has discharged me as she says my latch is fine - but I know it isn't always/often (especially during cluster feeds when she's more ravenous) and so I'm not even sure who to contact for help. Are the la leche league quick at responding to requests for one-to-one help does anyone know? I've not contacted them before now cos I feel as she's gaining I shouldn't be complaining but I'm getting to the point of dreading each feed because of the pain and emotional effort of fighting her to get her latched.

Hi there!

Congrats on your baby girl! Have you tried swaddling her in a blanket? Some babies like this anyway and it certainly would keep her hands under control.

My husband used to swaddle my first baby while I got myself ready to breastfeed - I had terrible trouble latching my son on, mainly because he was so tiny at just 5lb 2oz :)

Or maybe try the rugby hold where you tuck her under your arm?

The other one you can try is to lay down and feed her, that may keep her hands out of the way.

The main reason is because they don't realise when they're tiny that their hands are theirs and so they flail around willy nilly with no control over them :)

Good luck though with whatever you try :)

xx

I saw a trick in a magazine for this ... they suggested undoing her baby grow vest and slipping it up, kinda inside out IYKWIM, over the top of her hand and arms. I dunno if this works as I was going to try but Erin stopped flailing around so didn't get the chance. She goes from asleep to ravenous instantly too - I wonder if FF babies have better paitence? Lol! When she is awake, I can read the signs of her becoming hungry, but asleep - no chance! She will calm down for you soon, so until then try your best to get a good latch straight away or feed her for a few minuites then take her off and try again. She may be calm enough to get it spot on then?

Hi, Sol does this too. I use theurgby hold position and tuck one hand under my (massive!) boob and try to get him to hold one of my fingers (of the hand supporting his head) with the other hand. Then I have one hand free to shove my boob in his mouth...

Hi!! I had this problem and I wasn't fast enough to get her on when her mouth was open wide.and found that What I was doing wrong was I was bringing me to her instead of her to me. I now squeeze my boob to make the shape so more goes in her mouth, hold my thumb under her ear. Palm flat on her back, index finger under the other ear if u get wat I mean. Then wait patiently, sometimes when she cries it's wide, or il tap her chin like u said and then she sorta realises and wen my boob cones near she opens wide then I bring her to me. It's faster an her mouth stays wide. It's been alot more successful for me, I have a sore nipple, mastitis and thrush so for it to not hurt fir me then it's worth a try for u Hun xx

Millie is a fidget also, I hold Millies hand and took the other hand under my arm.

Ceri I'm going to have a go at that, thought it said head at first :rofl:

I used to swaddle Millie and then when she had been feeding a while, let the swaddle go.
I also think the breast feeding necklaces look good.

Swaddle her before a feed, don't worry about the extra couple of minutes it will take, your baby won't starve :) congrats! Xxx

I have swaddled a couple of times just to get her on for a few minutes but she's one of these that needs stripping down or she falls asleep so I cant get a long feed from her swaddled and sometimes she's asleep before latching at all (of course instantly awake and starving if put down!!)

I realise I had this problem less when I was waking her for two hourly feeds, now I'm demand feeding I think she isn't waking early enough to tell me she's getting hungry so wakes screaming and ravenous.

I know I need to pull her to me rather than other way around but this is the bit I struggle with when she is soooo sqirmy and flailing everywhich way. Did I mention I've hurt my hand trying to control her flailing? and now it's even harder to control her body!!

What is a breastfeeding necklace??

theres also a latch trick on youtube which helps you get a good amount of nipple into babys mouth worked a charm for me

i agree to swaddle. ive just finally mastered getting all hands out of the way but even after 2 months of breast feeding exclusively we often have a bad latch, doesnt affect his eating and it doesnt hurt me so I dont bother with it. He will flange his bottom lip out but not the top :s

I have the same problem if DH or anyone else is around I gEt them to hold his arms while he latches. Otherwise I just do what I can and correct his bottom latch once his is already on. I rugby hold so I just gently pull his chin down.

Millie is a fidget also, I hold Millies hand and took the other hand under my arm.
Ceri I'm going to have a go at that, thought it said head at first :rofl:

I used to swaddle Millie and then when she had been feeding a while, let the swaddle go.
I also think the breast feeding necklaces look good.

this was us, or i made oh hold her arms out of the way when he was home!
doesnt last forever tho x

Also forgot to say - if no one is around to help I put little mitts on him or one of the sleepers where the cuff folds over his hands so atleast if his hands hit my nipple it is not sharp nails on Them

I had the same problem, the good news is they do grow out of it.
I found tucking the downward facing hand in cradle position under the body worked and then let the other rest in your cleveage. Also when the hand issue got to much I used the jockey position. Jennifer still does this occasionally but it is much better. When ever she does it now i say no don't hurt mummy and take her away from the breast, it seems (fingers crossed) to be working. xxx

theres also a latch trick on youtube which helps you get a good amount of nipple into babys mouth worked a charm for me

Would that be this one here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJOqBE0Td8&NR=1

I have to give that a try as I have the same problem. My left nipple is agonisingly painful as I can't get a good latch due to the 'hands' issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->