She wont swallow her medicine...

RyleighsMommy

Mother of 1 and expecting
Reaction score
My LO was given antibiotics for her ear infection but she keeps spitting it out any suggestions? Is that something I can add to her formula? I have no idea how to get her to swallow it :dohh:

Are you trying to give her it on a spoon? You can get syringes from the chemist with measurements up the side so you can get the right amount in - if you squirt it towards the back of her mouth (but into her cheek so she doesn't choke on it) she'll find it hard to spit back out.

When Sam was really ill with an awful fever I had to put calpol in bottles of milk because he wouldn't eat or drink anything else and wouldn't go near a spoon - he was quite a bit older but obviously she needs to take it so if you can't get her to swallow it on its own I don't see why you couldn't put it in her formula - as long as she drinks the whole bottle so she gets the whole dose.

Hope she's better soon x

Using a syringe works for us. Like Sam's mum says, if you squirt it into her cheek, she probably won't spit it out, especially if you just give her a little bit at a time (like half a ml) then a bit of milk, then a bit more and repeat until she's had it all. Another tip my mum gave me is to try letting her actually suck on the end of the syringe like she would a bottle, and as she sucks, push the syringe down a little bit. That only works if it doesn't taste too bad and once she's got used to it though.

Yeah, I have been using syringes and I tried doing the back of her mouth thing kinda putting it close to her cheek and what she has figured out to do is basically cough it all up so it sprays all over my face lol

I wanted to try the formula but my mother had told me that she was told when we were younger not to do that...but I know a lot has changed since then so I wanted to see if that was still something to avoid doing or not. :)

If you add it to their formula and they don\t drink all the milk, they won't have had all the medicine will they? We use the syringe, we have the problem of her not opening her mouth, we have to move the bottle towards her so she opens it, we feel bad but it's in her interest I guess!

I use a syringe and have to tilt her head backward slighty she holds her breath for what seems like ages then takes a gulp of air the medicine goes down and she screams makes me feel like a bad mummy but its the only way i have found of making sure she doesnt spit it bk at me x

I couldnt get antibiotics into my Lo either.
What i did was get one of the medicine despensing dummys and take her out while she was napping put that in and then it was in a swalloed before she knew about it
Best thing i can sugest hun, i remember it being awful, you have my sympthy

I use a syringe... i make sure she's laid down and squirt it in small amounts at a time. Usually does the trick. Hope your LO feels better soon x

Babies are amazing they soon work out how to avoid taking their medicines. I have to lie my LO down now and squirt into the side of her mouth squirting little bits in at a time. She has started to try and spit it out by blowing raspberries but because she is lying flat the medicine can only go one way and that is down her throat!

I used to use a syringe which normally works really well, but if you want to put it in some formula then just make up a 1oz bottle and add the medicine to that - you need to make sure that LO drinks it all. Depends on how fussy LO is with bottles and ear infection - mine would hardly drink anything, so I used to make a 1oz one cos that was pretty much gone in 2 gulps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->