Shocked and sickened by this "parenting" book

becsparkel

Mummy to George
Reaction score
There is a "parenting" book currently for sale on Amazon which advocates using a switch on babies as young as 4 months to "train" them to obey:

"At four months she was too unknowing to be punished for disobedience. But for her own good, we attempted to train her not to climb the stairs by coordinating the voice command of "No" with little spats on the bare legs. The switch was a twelve-inch long, one-eighth-inch diameter sprig from a willow tree."

Many more sickening quotes on this anti site: why not train a child

There's a petition to stop Amazon from selling it here: amazon-refuse-to-carry-books-which-advocate-the-physical-abuse-of-children

And the original blog piece here that started the campaign: amazon-we-find-child-abuse-offensive

the one written by the religious people? I think I've heard of it before, it's disgusting

OMG that's awful. I haven't clicked your links, but just reading your quote made me have tears in my eyes.

Thats terrible! I dont agree with smacking kids unless its for something serious like running into the road but even then it would just be a little smack on the bum probably followed by a cuddle and a long talk about why mummy had to smack his bum and running in the road is very naughty!! I could definitely never use any kind of stick or belt or wooden spoon! I just see those as a weapons to assault a child with!

Ive just been reading the quotes and how im shocked and disgusted too!
The worse one is about smacking the child even if they obey even if you have to sit on him to smack him!! WTF!!!!
And the one baby if a baby bites when breastfeeding then pull their hair but youll have to find something else if they are bald!! WTF!!!!
And if a child soils themself wash him with a hose in the garden cos he is too big and stinky to use babywipes!! WTF!!!

Im going to stop reading now as im getting angry with these twats!!! grrr!!!

yep, it's the one written by the religious couple, the Pearls.

My inlaws are religious and they hit my DH numerous times for differnet things, forced him to go to church. My parents never hit us and never took us to church. I talk to my parents nearly every day. My DH would avoid his parents for eternity if he could.

This is wrong, on so many levels. And to think that many parents are out there following it.

In one section it advocated pulling your baby's hair if they bite you while nursing. Alternative methods had to be found for bald babies....

:(

Some people are just sick, but I think the publicity might have the adverse effect of making more people aware of their books and actually buying it to see what it's about.

Reading the quotes from that book made me feel sick to my stomach. How can you have that much rage towards your own children? Especially a baby, who can't even understand why he's being punished. :(

How can you (why would you) train a baby not to climb the stairs at 4 months? Mine was barely even rolling over then. Stoopid.

Switching a 7 month old for screaming is a surefire way to get it to scream even more. Ummm..... Bunch of wackadoos. (sick-fuck wackadoos)

I had to stop reading halfway through, these people are awful! The breastfeeding baby being "switched" for biting brought tears to my eyes! X

How can you (why would you) train a baby not to climb the stairs at 4 months? Mine was barely even rolling over then. Stoopid.

That's what I don't understand!

These books sound disgusting, those poor children.

Is this book serious or are the people who wrote it just trying to get a reaction?
How they can claim to be religious is beyond me :nope:
My 7 month old is a terrible biter right now whilst feeding and i would never even consider hurting him to teach him a lesson:nope:
I smacked my toddlers bum once out of pure frustration (not hard at all i must add) but i felt so terrible after i apologised to him for ages and cried and then confessed to mil as i felt so dissapointed with myself..i dont know how these people can do this and feel no guilt or remorse? and more so, think its right!:cry:

Edited, don't want to turn this into a "religious" parenting debate lol

"Select your instrument according to the child's size."

So since these authors are adults can we hit them with something nice and big? :)

Eurgh this is so gross I can't believe it's still there, amazon are awful for letting anything be sold on their site without caring... there was similar a few years ago with a book called the pedophiles guide - I think it eventually got removed though. Sick sick sick sick sick.

ETA just googled that book was called 'The Pedophiles Guide to love and pleasure'. Eurgh. And they had another one called understanding boylovers with this quote by the author - 'The long assumed "harm" of such activities [men having relationships with young boys] has failed to be supported by research, and the sociocultural "wrongness" based on this "harm" is therefore left without any rational basis."

Wtf is wrong with people

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->