Shop assistant smacks 3 y/o!

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I have just as much primal instinct as any other Mother. But there is no way I would consider or even react by hitting/shoving another person. Makes you no better than them.

Are you seriously not bothered by some of the comments here? "I would've laid her out" "I'd be in jail" etc etc?

Personally I would want my child to see it. And I would hope my child would always take it to heart that you should always protect the weak and never stand by while someone is being abused. I totally believe in fighting back, never start a fight, but never be afraid to finish one.

:thumbup:

The managers reaction makes me feel sick. I'd expect her to be instantly sacked!

I think it's wrong of the shop assistance but she's in her 50's and used to a different convention. It's easy to talk about sacking someone, but as a manager, I know it's not that easy. Sometimes the worker really needs the job and we just try to placate the customers - although he could have done it better, I would acknowledge the seriousness, apologise and offer her a discount or something, not make light of it. :shrug:

I also wouldn't hit back. You can protect your child by taking them away from the danger, you don't have to get violent. I don't want my child to learn to solve problems by hitting. It may be an instinct to get violent but there are other instincts that we rise above to live in civilized society (peeing when the urge hits us, jumping that hot guy on the street, etc) and I believe violence is something we should rise above.

I already comment on facebook. from what ive read on a few articles is that the toddler was playing the display and then had a tantrum and the bottle fell and the store assistance smacked her bottom.

first off, its no way at all right for the store associate to do that!

however, it was also wrong of the mother to allow her 3 year old to "play" with a display...they are not toys, they are not their to amuse your child while you talk to someone. you should be paying attention to your child and stopping them from misbehaving or otherwise touching something they shouldnt be.

so my opinion....they were both in the wrong!

I also wouldn't hit back. You can protect your child by taking them away from the danger, you don't have to get violent. I don't want my child to learn to solve problems by hitting. It may be an instinct to get violent but there are other instincts that we rise above to live in civilized society (peeing when the urge hits us, jumping that hot guy on the street, etc) and I believe violence is something we should rise above.

I wouldn't have hit her either, though I'm sure the urge would have been there! I'd want to keep the upper hand in a situation like that, and the second you repeat whatever you are complaining about you lose the upper hand.
I do think the response from Boots is shockingly poor, and certainly inadequate. The staff member needs to be disciplined. Personally I'd expect something like this to be a sackable offence, and I'm somewhat concerned that the company, or at least a manager acting on behalf of the company, seem to be saying that striking a member of the public is acceptable!

ETA: I used to work in retail (in Boots no less!) so I can understand how annoying badly behaved children can be. But there is simply no excuse for this woman to have hit that girl.

I'm willing to bet most, if not all of us who have said "I'd want to hit her" wouldn't actually do it. It's just initial reaction. "Keyboard warriors" is a little dramatic.

The managers reaction makes me feel sick. I'd expect her to be instantly sacked!

I think it's wrong of the shop assistance but she's in her 50's and used to a different convention. It's easy to talk about sacking someone, but as a manager, I know it's not that easy. Sometimes the worker really needs the job and we just try to placate the customers - although he could have done it better, I would acknowledge the seriousness, apologise and offer her a discount or something, not make light of it. :shrug:

But I can't imagine that sales clerks smacking kids was condoned in her time either. Brat or not, old or not, she had NO right laying a hand on that child. I work in retail management too and in my LOB that kind of offense would be an instant termination. You don't put your company at risk like that.

I don't agree with anyone smacking my child for any reason but that said from what I have read about the story the mother was not paying attention to her child and the child broke something.
Wrong on both sides.

Shocked!
If anyone smacked, shouted or even told my children off, they would get my foot up their backside.

Ok, maybe I am in the minority here, but is there not something a little suss about this? yes hitting someone else's child is wrong, but how do we know that she wasn't playing up more but mum couldnt see it as she was her little princess? doesn't excuse it but if you are going into a shop you should still be watching your children and tell them to stop playing with the bottles, especially if they are glass.

Secondly, first of all she says she hit her daughter in front of her, then she says her daughter said she had hit her after they left the store. So which is it? If someone hit your child in front of you would you not say something straight away?? Why leave it a day or two?

i am not condoning the little girl being hit, but i am questioning it. As others say managers would normally be falling over themselves apologising, so why not in this case?

ETA: I am as protective as the next but my first reaction would not be "I'd smack the bitch back". An eye for an eye makes the world blind and I certainly don't want my children thinking that's acceptable. Its all very well saying protect the weak but there are better ways to do that than fighting and in that situation I would fully expect the mum to be prosecuted as well and would agree to it.

Yes chastisement by another is wrong, but someone said no-one has the right to tell their child off? well if some mum's aren't prepared to tell their kids off when misbehaving then be prepared that others will. I tell my neighbours kids off when they do something naughty and the parents can't be bothered and will continue to do so. having the attitude "no-one tells my kids off" is why society is in so much shit today and kids have no respect.

I said I would beat the shit out of her and sleeping on it has not changed my mind,. Ok I wouldn't beat the shit out of her, but i would slap her for sure. '
I am very calm very respectful person , but I get like a lion when it comes to my kids ( They are big now) but nobody would ever touch my child and yes my first reaction would be to smack her, then later I will explain to my child why.

I just cannot see myself just letting that go and talking it over and asking why would you do that? After I slap her I will ask her why! Sorry to those who think I am violent . I guess I am when it comes to my kids . When I say nobody I mean nobody will ever put their hands on my kids, ever. :flower:

But I can't imagine that sales clerks smacking kids was condoned in her time either. Brat or not, old or not, she had NO right laying a hand on that child. I work in retail management too and in my LOB that kind of offense would be an instant termination. You don't put your company at risk like that.

I can easily imagine it being done in her time. To me, the image of a 50 year old lady smacking a toddler lightly on the bottom for misbehaving isn't that serious an offense - it doesn't hurt the toddler physically. I would be angry if it was my child because me and my husband has a no corporal punishment philosophy, but if this was an old family friend, I wouldn't even say anything to her directly, and if it was a stranger like in this case, I would tell her off but I wouldn't think about hitting her or getting her sacked.

If the manager managed to placate the mother after she came back, there would be no risk to the company, but the manager handled the situation poorly.

I can easily imagine it being done in her time. To me, the image of a 50 year old lady smacking a toddler lightly on the bottom for misbehaving isn't that serious an offense - it doesn't hurt the toddler physically. I would be angry if it was my child because me and my husband has a no corporal punishment philosophy, but if this was an old family friend, I wouldn't even say anything to her directly, and if it was a stranger like in this case, I would tell her off but I wouldn't think about hitting her or getting her sacked.

If the manager managed to placate the mother after she came back, there would be no risk to the company, but the manager handled the situation poorly.

Are you serious? If a shop assistant smacked an adult for messing up a display they'd be sacked. No questions. Why would it be different for a child? If I tapped a child on the bum in my job I'd be struck off!

Are you serious? If a shop assistant smacked an adult for messing up a display they'd be sacked. No questions. Why would it be different for a child? If I tapped a child on the bum in my job I'd be struck off!

If an adult did this they can be arrested for criminal damage so it doesn't compare. As adults we have a responsibility to teach our children right from wrong, one item being to behave in shops where the items do not belong to mum (what would she have done at home and the items smashed belonged to her? probably tell the child off so why is it ok to play with these when not owned by mum?). The second point being if your first response to anything is to hit out you are teaching your child its ok to hit out when angry.

I don't really think the behavior of the toddler makes a difference in this situation. She's a child. The sales associate is the adult here. In my mind it's still black and white, even if the kid was a spoiled brat.

If an adult did this they can be arrested for criminal damage so it doesn't compare. As adults we have a responsibility to teach our children right from wrong, one item being to behave in shops where the items do not belong to mum (what would she have done at home and the items smashed belonged to her? probably tell the child off so why is it ok to play with these when not owned by mum?). The second point being if your first response to anything is to hit out you are teaching your child its ok to hit out when angry.

Its a toddler, they have tantrums! She knocked a bottle of dettol off a shelf :dohh: and the mother probably would of told her child off if the shop assistant hadnt smacked her first? And I never said I'd hit the shop assistant, I actually said thinking about it, I'd walk away! You can't hit a customers child, end of. Its unprofessional and if she isn't disciplined by her employer it send the message that its ok to hit any bratty kid that has a hissy fit in the shop. I worked in a supermarket and got a verbal warning just for being off with glandular fever, I'd hate to think what they'd of done to me if I'd of hit a child having a tantrum...

I don't think you'd get arrested for knocking over a bottle of Dettol - at most you'd have to pay for it unless you were being verbally abusive, uncooperative and threatening simultaneously which is a whole different thing - or possibly if you do an attempted runner.

it bugs the life out of me seeing kids running around shops unsupervised.

The shop assistant was wrong but if the mum cant control the child she should use reins or have her in a buggy.

I would not have walked out I would have confronted her straight away ! Maybe kick her up the arse see how she likes it!

I think it's easy to say you would let your toddler run about if you don't have on yet. Remember all of the things you said you'd never do with your baby that you did anyway? It's easy to judge if you haven't been there. For all we know, mom and kid were having a rough day. Or maybe the kid's a jerk. Doesn't make it acceptable for a stranger to make that call and hit her!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->