Shop assistant smacks 3 y/o!

I found the comments that people made on that website unreal. I can't believe people are actually supporting this woman's actions.

I just don't understand how this woman is getting away with it and still has her job! Why is it still legal to hit kids as long as it doesn't leave a mark? How is that even right? You'd be arrested if you hit an adult so why do children seem to be to these people lesser beings?

If she would have done that here then she would have be sacked on the spot and arrested for hitting a child. Hitting a child here regardless of whether it leaves a mark or not is illegal. Obviously people probably do it here behind closed doors but that would have been it for that woman here.

I am obviously one of those evil parents who thinks part of the problems we have with kids these days is because parents can't parent how they see fit and smack on occasion. I have no intention of regularly smacking my child, but if she wont listen then once in a while it will happen.

parents rights are being taken away. i had the odd smack when I was younger and am fine for it, i learnt a healthy respect. none of this "you cant hit me I'll get you arrested" rubbish that you get now from kids.

yes the lady shouldn't have smacked someone else's child but maybe, just maybe, the mum needs to accept she should have been watching her child and not let her play with the display. faults on both sides. and no i don't think the lady should lose her job.

If you smacked an adult who didn't "listen" it would be assault So why in hell is it okay to do to a child, a vulnerable child. Perhaps if people took the time to treat children as humans instead of animals, kids would be different.

I don't think this issue is a debate as to whether physical discipline is right or wrong. Or whether or not parents should prevent their toddlers from having tantrums in public. The issue is that a woman smacked some stranger's child. You just can't go around hitting people, young or old, because you find their behavior unacceptable. There are a number of people I'd like to smack on a regular basis, but I don't act on it because I know it's wrong. The mother and child's behavior is irrelevent to the argument.

I found the comments that people made on that website unreal. I can't believe people are actually supporting this woman's actions.

I just don't understand how this woman is getting away with it and still has her job! Why is it still legal to hit kids as long as it doesn't leave a mark? How is that even right? You'd be arrested if you hit an adult so why do children seem to be to these people lesser beings?

If she would have done that here then she would have be sacked on the spot and arrested for hitting a child. Hitting a child here regardless of whether it leaves a mark or not is illegal. Obviously people probably do it here behind closed doors but that would have been it for that woman here.

I am obviously one of those evil parents who thinks part of the problems we have with kids these days is because parents can't parent how they see fit and smack on occasion. I have no intention of regularly smacking my child, but if she wont listen then once in a while it will happen.

parents rights are being taken away. i had the odd smack when I was younger and am fine for it, i learnt a healthy respect. none of this "you cant hit me I'll get you arrested" rubbish that you get now from kids.

yes the lady shouldn't have smacked someone else's child but maybe, just maybe, the mum needs to accept she should have been watching her child and not let her play with the display. faults on both sides. and no i don't think the lady should lose her job.

If you smacked an adult who didn't "listen" it would be assault So why in hell is it okay to do to a child, a vulnerable child. Perhaps if people took the time to treat children as humans instead of animals, kids would be different.

Hell, I wouldn't even hit a dog! And especially not someone else's dog! :haha:

The managers reaction makes me feel sick. I'd expect her to be instantly sacked!

I think it's wrong of the shop assistance but she's in her 50's and used to a different convention. It's easy to talk about sacking someone, but as a manager, I know it's not that easy. Sometimes the worker really needs the job and we just try to placate the customers - although he could have done it better, I would acknowledge the seriousness, apologise and offer her a discount or something, not make light of it. :shrug:

But I can't imagine that sales clerks smacking kids was condoned in her time either. Brat or not, old or not, she had NO right laying a hand on that child. I work in retail management too and in my LOB that kind of offense would be an instant termination. You don't put your company at risk like that.

I can easily imagine it being done in her time. To me, the image of a 50 year old lady smacking a toddler lightly on the bottom for misbehaving isn't that serious an offense - it doesn't hurt the toddler physically. I would be angry if it was my child because me and my husband has a no corporal punishment philosophy, but if this was an old family friend, I wouldn't even say anything to her directly, and if it was a stranger like in this case, I would tell her off but I wouldn't think about hitting her or getting her sacked.

If the manager managed to placate the mother after she came back, there would be no risk to the company, but the manager handled the situation poorly.

Are you serious? If a shop assistant smacked an adult for messing up a display they'd be sacked. No questions. Why would it be different for a child? If I tapped a child on the bum in my job I'd be struck off!

Children and adults are different, so the analogy doesn't work. If an adult comes into a shop and start running around knocking things off, they would be asked to leave, have the security booted them out, or be arrested. I doubt people would think twice about the security guard putting his hands on that adult to stop that adult.

If it's just a casual job to you, sure it's no big deal to fire you, but how do you know it's not a livelihood for this lady? To me, her offense is not serious enough to deprive her of her livelihood, that's just mean, when she wasn't doing it out of bad intention.

I'm sorry, but at work I spend most my day being hit, spat at, sworn at, kicked and I have NEVER hit a patient. All this kid did was have a tantrum and knock something off a shelf. If I hit someone at work, I would be struck off and would never be able to work in my profession again. And I would deserve it! When your at work, you are a professional, regardless of what kid of job is it. You hold your tongue and your temper and if not, you lose your job. End of.

I was smacked as a child and I didnt 'respect' my parents. I feared them. So much so, if I ever did anything wrong, I'd go out of my way to cover it up, usually ending up in a bigger mess and that was all because I was afraid to tell my parents anything. I didnt even tell my parents I was pregnant until I was 11 weeks coz I was scared of their reaction, I'm 22 and have lived with my OH for years! I won't ever do that to my child. A tap if they put themself in danger, maybe. But a smack to 'teach them a lesson' never.

The managers reaction makes me feel sick. I'd expect her to be instantly sacked!

I think it's wrong of the shop assistance but she's in her 50's and used to a different convention. It's easy to talk about sacking someone, but as a manager, I know it's not that easy. Sometimes the worker really needs the job and we just try to placate the customers - although he could have done it better, I would acknowledge the seriousness, apologise and offer her a discount or something, not make light of it. :shrug:

But I can't imagine that sales clerks smacking kids was condoned in her time either. Brat or not, old or not, she had NO right laying a hand on that child. I work in retail management too and in my LOB that kind of offense would be an instant termination. You don't put your company at risk like that.

I can easily imagine it being done in her time. To me, the image of a 50 year old lady smacking a toddler lightly on the bottom for misbehaving isn't that serious an offense - it doesn't hurt the toddler physically. I would be angry if it was my child because me and my husband has a no corporal punishment philosophy, but if this was an old family friend, I wouldn't even say anything to her directly, and if it was a stranger like in this case, I would tell her off but I wouldn't think about hitting her or getting her sacked.

If the manager managed to placate the mother after she came back, there would be no risk to the company, but the manager handled the situation poorly.

Are you serious? If a shop assistant smacked an adult for messing up a display they'd be sacked. No questions. Why would it be different for a child? If I tapped a child on the bum in my job I'd be struck off!

Children and adults are different, so the analogy doesn't work. If an adult comes into a shop and start running around knocking things off, they would be asked to leave, have the security booted them out, or be arrested. I doubt people would think twice about the security guard putting his hands on that adult to stop that adult.

If it's just a casual job to you, sure it's no big deal to fire you, but how do you know it's not a livelihood for this lady? To me, her offense is not serious enough to deprive her of her livelihood, that's just mean, when she wasn't doing it out of bad intention.

I'm sorry, but at work I spend most my day being hit, spat at, sworn at, kicked and I have NEVER hit a patient. All this kid did was have a tantrum and knock something off a shelf. If I hit someone at work, I would be struck off and would never be able to work in my profession again. And I would deserve it! When your at work, you are a professional, regardless of what kid of job is it. You hold your tongue and your temper and if not, you lose your job. End of.

I was smacked as a child and I didnt 'respect' my parents. I feared them. So much so, if I ever did anything wrong, I'd go out of my way to cover it up, usually ending up in a bigger mess and that was all because I was afraid to tell my parents anything. I didnt even tell my parents I was pregnant until I was 11 weeks coz I was scared of their reaction, I'm 22 and have lived with my OH for years! I won't ever do that to my child. A tap if they put themself in danger, maybe. But a smack to 'teach them a lesson' never.

I think maybe in this case your idea of a smack is different to mine. I think I can count on one hand the number of times we were smacked and they left a mark, hell I can only think of one time where a mark was left. Maybe my 'smack' is your tap.

Anything that results in bruising is wrong and it should't, in my mind, be a regular thing but a last resort. Hence me not seeing it being an issue as that was what it was like for us growing up. We were never made to fear our parents due to the way we were chastised.

But some kids push and push and wont listen. If my child keeps trying to touch the hot stove and no or time outs dont work, a smack on the hand will be the final resort. i would rather that that a badly burnt hand.

As for the comments about adults, it doesnt compare. An adult knows they are doing wrong when causing damage so its unlikely they would be hit as as someone has said earlier the police would be called and they would be dealt with in that way.

I am not condoning someone hitting someone else's child, i just think there is more to the story than is being reported and I think that in a lot of cases kids get away with murder as parents dont see what their little darlings are up to. Someone has already stated no-one has the right to even tell their child off! Well if they won't tell them off for unacceptable behaviour then someone needs to - thats why we have the problems we have now!

I think maybe in this case your idea of a smack is different to mine. I think I can count on one hand the number of times we were smacked and they left a mark, hell I can only think of one time where a mark was left. Maybe my 'smack' is your tap.

Anything that results in bruising is wrong and it should't, in my mind, be a regular thing but a last resort. Hence me not seeing it being an issue as that was what it was like for us growing up. We were never made to fear our parents due to the way we were chastised.

But some kids push and push and wont listen. If my child keeps trying to touch the hot stove and no or time outs dont work, a smack on the hand will be the final resort. i would rather that that a badly burnt hand.

As for the comments about adults, it doesnt compare. An adult knows they are doing wrong when causing damage so its unlikely they would be hit as as someone has said earlier the police would be called and they would be dealt with in that way.

I am not condoning someone hitting someone else's child, i just think there is more to the story than is being reported and I think that in a lot of cases kids get away with murder as parents dont see what their little darlings are up to. Someone has already stated no-one has the right to even tell their child off! Well if they won't tell them off for unacceptable behaviour then someone needs to - thats why we have the problems we have now!

My parents never left marks on me. But would chase me up the stairs to slap me on the back of the legs. A tap to me is literally a tap with fingers to a hand or bum. To stop them running into traffic or touching something hot. A smack is an open palmed strike. It doesnt have to leave a mark to leave an emotional wound.

If she had of done it to an adult, it would have been assault and she would have. Why is it any different because its a child?

As I said, if an adult throws a tantrum in the shop, run around and smash stuff, I doubt anyone would think twice about her stepping in to stop that person, including using physical force, do you disagree? Do you believe adults can act like a child in public without consequences? So I believe it would not be classed as assault if that was an adult causing a commotion, and she might have come off as the hero instead.

Sorry, don't agree. She should of at the very least be suspended and her job reviewed. Don't wanna lose your livelihood? Don't hit other peoples kids.

If she knew that before she did it, sure, but she's 50+, growing up and probably raising children in an era when smacking a child on the bottom for misbehaving wasn't that big of a deal. I grew up like that, if we were getting in the way during a get together, any adult can grab us to stop us or tell us off, not just our parents, and it wouldn't be a big deal.

I get where you're coming from and I do think it's likely the sales clerk meant no harm. But, there are a lot of things that were common practices when she grew up that are no longer acceptable now. She doesn't get a free pass because she's elderly.

I do think being older should give her some conderations (hitting an elderly is no better than hitting a child), but it's more that she might not have thought she was doing something wrong and the situation doesn't warrant taking away her livelihood.

Sorry, don't agree. She should of at the very least be suspended and her job reviewed. Don't wanna lose your livelihood? Don't hit other peoples kids.

If she knew that before she did it, sure, but she's 50+, growing up and probably raising children in an era when smacking a child on the bottom for misbehaving wasn't that big of a deal. I grew up like that, if we were getting in the way during a get together, any adult can grab us to stop us or tell us off, not just our parents, and it wouldn't be a big deal.

I get where you're coming from and I do think it's likely the sales clerk meant no harm. But, there are a lot of things that were common practices when she grew up that are no longer acceptable now. She doesn't get a free pass because she's elderly.

I do think being older should give her some conderations (hitting an elderly is no better than hitting a child), but it's more that she might not have thought she was doing something wrong and the situation doesn't warrant taking away her livelihood.

I guess this is just hard for me to believe. Still, regardless of what she thinks, she works in a public place and needs to act in accordance with the law AND social courtesy. It's her responsibility as an adult to learn these things.

Vulnerable poeple, children, special needs (inc disabled) and the elderly. Can you pick out which one is allowed to be assaulted in that category?

If she had of done it to an adult, it would have been assault and she would have. Why is it any different because its a child?

As I said, if an adult throws a tantrum in the shop, run around and smash stuff, I doubt anyone would think twice about her stepping in to stop that person, including using physical force, do you disagree? Do you believe adults can act like a child in public without consequences? So I believe it would not be classed as assault if that was an adult causing a commotion, and she might have come off as the hero instead.

It's not apples to apples. If an adult was running around and being distructive, I would hope that someone would step in to stop the person using as little force as possible. With a child, no force needs to be used since an adult is larger and stronger than the child.

Maybe she didn't think she was losing her temper but did what she thought was right - disciplining a naughty child. Her idea of what's right might be wrong but it's her frame of mind.

For those who are into "natural parenting", what do you think happens when children are raised in an extended family, a village or a tribe? All the adults have a hand in disciplining the children. That's how I was raised, any old lady in the village can tell me off, she would have thought it's wrong not to when a child is misbehaving, and I better listen.

It's not apples to apples. If an adult was running around and being distructive, I would hope that someone would step in to stop the person using as little force as possible. With a child, no force needs to be used since an adult is larger and stronger than the child.

Right, it's not comparable, so why do people keep comparing it?

I don't think she should have smacked that toddle but considering her age, I think talking about hitting or sacking her is way OTT.

I would just be shocked if someone hit my child - even if it was just a smack. Sorry, but I think it's wrong. I don't think there's any excuse for it.

It's not about discipline, it's not about toddlers acting out, it's not about the older generation. It's about smacking a stranger, who happens to be someone elses child. It's a very strange and wrong thing to do!

I can honestly say I am full on shocked people don't think she should be sacked for hitting a customers child. That is gross misconduct. If a teacher hit a child they would be sacked. If a health professional hit a patient they would be sacked. It should be the same for any job working with the public. Maybe I just have high expectations of shop assistants... When I was a teen I worked in a supermarket and saw people sacked for much less.

I can honestly say I am full on shocked people don't think she should be sacked for hitting a customers child. That is gross misconduct. If a teacher hit a child they would be sacked. If a health professional hit a patient they would be sacked. It should be the same for any job working with the public. Maybe I just have high expectations of shop assistants... When I was a teen I worked in a supermarket and saw people sacked for much less.

Agree 100% ..Just like i would be arrested after smacking her for hitting my child :thumbup: I WOULD DESERVE IT AND GO HAPPILY ON MY WAY TO JAIL..

I would just be shocked if someone hit my child - even if it was just a smack. Sorry, but I think it's wrong. I don't think there's any excuse for it.

It's not about discipline, it's not about toddlers acting out, it's not about the older generation. It's about smacking a stranger, who happens to be someone elses child. It's a very strange and wrong thing to do!

It's about perceptions, I have no doubt a lot of people think it's wrong, so do I, but I understand there are people who don't, who actually think it's right, and also come from a good place. We get so immerse in one culture, a way of thinking, that some forget people from different places and different time think very differently. In some countries, it would be the mother who would be berrated with the same OTT comments seen here, and I think that would be wrong as well.

Did you like working there? Did you feel your manager cares about the workers?

I don't feel like its relevant but I didnt enjoy working there no. It was a stop gap until I was old enough to go into a job I could use to my advantage. I don't think I spoke to a manager the whole 12 months I worked there so wouldn't know.

I don't feel like its relevant but I didnt enjoy working there no. It was a stop gap until I was old enough to go into a job I could use to my advantage. I don't think I spoke to a manager the whole 12 months I worked there so wouldn't know.

It's relevant because when you care about your employees you do your best to preserve their livelihood, you don't sack them unless you have to or they have a lousy work attitude. I had ladies in their 50s and 60s working in the same job their whole life, I would do my best to make sure they keep their job in this kind of situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->