Should a first time mom risk a home birth?

LRae83

Reaction score
My hubby and I are TTC our first together. I've never given birth, but he has four amazing kiddos from his first marriage. His ex-wife (who I actually get along with and now she's married with a new baby) had their first two in the hospital and their second two at home. She also had her fifth baby with her new husband at home. So she's gone the midwife route 3 times and prefers it. She's never done a water birth but wants to with her next. I have thought for a long time that a hot water birth would possibly be ideal for me. When I have bad stomach cramps a hot bath is the only thing that instantly cures them, and then the second I get out of the bath they return to torture me. So I was wondering if I want to do a water birth should I go mid-wife at home or to a birthing center? We don't have insurance, so a mid-wife at home would be a much cheaper route, although I will have our first baby at a hospital if that's recommended for first babies. Anyway, I'd love to hear some thoughts on this!! I'm assuming home births don't offer any type of pain medication? Hmmm

Lindsey :)

You don't need to have a first baby in the hospital, many of my friends have had their firsts at home and I would have too if I'd known that was an option. A homebirth is not any more risky for a first timer than a hospital is (for healthy low risk women).

In a healthy low risk pregnancy a home birth is a great option, first timer or not :flower: My first was born at home in water and it was an amazing experience, I wouldn't have changed a thing! I was so relaxed and at ease in my own environment.

Home birthing actually reduces the risk of intervention, therefore increasing the chance of a straight forward birth. My son was born after 7 hours of labour (quite quick for a first birth) and 20 minutes of pushing.

ETA: on the subject of pain relief I.e. drugs, I'm not sure where you are which affects what is available to you. In the UK gas and air is available at home as well as pethidine, but the US I think does not offer gas and air. On a personal level I felt no desire for gas and air and did not ask the midwives to bring pethidine (you have to request it in advance). I found the water soothing enough so didn't need any medication.

I wouldn't say it's a risk! A very minimal risk.
I had my first at home and it was wonderful, really loved it. I had a birthpool in the living room and it was great.
As long as there are no complications in your pregnancy it's a low risk option x

I had my first baby at home in a pool with no pain relief, it was a amazing experience. Like the others have said so long as you are low risk it shouldn't matter if its your first xx

The best place to have your baby is wherever you're most comfortable. I had my first baby at home and plan to have all future babies at home assuming I have healthy pregnancies. My birth was fantastic (you can read my birth story below) and I think if you're healthy and your baby is healthy and you feel most relaxed at home, then it's a great place to have a first baby.

As for your question about pain relief, it sounds like you're in the U.S., so as far as I know (I have lots of midwife friends in the U.S.) you can't use any sort of pharmaceutical pain relief. But you can use other things, like a TENS machine, birth pool, hypnotherapy, etc. I only used TENS and hypnotherapy for my birth (we did have gas and air, i.e. nitrous oxide or laughing gas, available here for home births, but I never needed it). I think especially if you do something like hypnobirthing, you are very likely to manage just fine without any other pain relief, especially if you can stay relaxed (more likely at home). I'd definitely look into it if it's something that you think you'd be interested in.

A word of advice though, before you get pregnant, I would strongly recommend looking into how to get insurance or how to qualify for Medicaid (you should qualify once you're pregnant even if you don't before). I'm American, though I now like in the UK, and know from friends going through it back in the States that being pregnant and having a baby can quickly become very expensive if you're uninsured. It's one of the reasons why we decided to move to the UK to raise our family because we couldn't have afforded the medical costs of a pregnancy in the U.S. (my husband is British). So just something to think about now which might make it all a lot easier down the road. :thumbup:

If I'd have known I could have had my first at home, I would have definitely done it. You can do whatever you feel most comfortable with hun.

Risk factors will be checked and assessed before the time comes :)

XxX:kiss:

I had my first at home, it was a great, stress-free experience. My husband dislikes hospitals and I felt totally comfortable doing it at home. I also got 2 midwives allot myself, which is less likely ins hospital.

Go with whatever feels right to you, I know that here in the uk it's easier to plan for a home birth then go to hospital last minute if you want, I think it's harder to plan a hospital birth then switch to home birth later on as they have to assess your home and deliver the kit to you in advance.

If you're healthy and have a straightforward pregnancy I think it's as safe to give birth at home as in hospital and it actually reduces the rate of interventions. You have to balance that against how easy it is for you to get to hospital if you want/ need to.

I would highly recommend it! Frankly I was scared to use a hospital for my first time. I used midwives and had a textbook home water birth no medications and no tearing. I would never look back.

I didn't have a home birth with my first, but someone I know did, and she told me she just felt so comfortable and relaxed at home, and she really enjoyed the experience with no complications or unnecessary interventions. So if you feel comfortable with the idea then go for it!

I am due with my first in August and will be having a home birth. My mom had 4 kids at home, and honestly, I've never really considered a hospital birth and would be extremely uncomfortable in a medical setting. For ME, home birth is a wiser choice.

Can only echo what's been said before - if it's what you're comfortable doing and your pregnancy is classed as a low risk then go for it! I'm hoping to have a home birth. I'm doing hypnobirthing to help, so if you won't even be offered gas and air then it might be worth doing a little reading on hypnobirthing to see if it's something you'd be interested in.

Water is meant to be great for pain relief so a pool would be a good idea, and I'm hoping to do this too. I don't think you can have it hot hot though, because it will make the baby too hot but it should definitely be warm, around body temperature I think.

I really hate this negative stigma that surrounds opinion on homebirths and 'why are you risking it' comments.

My midwife recommended that I have my baby at home for a number of reasons. Reason 1 - a Homebirth is safer for a low risk pregnancy than being forced into an unfamiliar (very medical) setting.

I can't wait for my Homebirth, if something happens beyond my control of course I'll transfer, but for now my positive mental attitude and my healthy baby girl means she'll be born straight into my arms in her home.

I feel like why risk a hospital birth. Chances are they will want to give you something to hurry up, increase contractions or some other mostly unneeded treatment. Meds are great for the truly in need but really few are.

I feel like why risk a hospital birth. Chances are they will want to give you something to hurry up, increase contractions or some other mostly unneeded treatment. Meds are great for the truly in need but really few are.

I totally agree! Wish I didn't 'risk' the hospital the first time round :rofl:

I absolutely recommend the home birth route! It is not a risk, contrary to the belief of my family dr. as she tried to persuade me to go the OBGYN route and stuck her nose up to midwifery...sigh. This was before any testing/questioning to make sure I was low risk too. If you are a low risk pregnant woman you can definitely achieve a great home birth. Please feel free to read my home water birth story in my signature :) It happened 4 months ago and I can still remember everything like it was yesterday. I chose to do my first time at home because I did not want any unnecessary interventions and wanted it to be a peaceful, memorable experience full of calmness and not fear. I wanted my baby to be placed on me and not taken away. In the end I had everything happen the way I hoped and with guidance from the midwives I pushed my baby out slowly without any tears and zero medication. Every woman is capable. How else did they do it back in the day? lol I am 23 and felt strong on this decision and know I made the right one for my first child.

also: in my opinion the warm water didn't take away any pain when I was full on contracting but it was the best thing to be able to maneuver into any position to get comfortable. If I was laying flat on my back in a hospital, I can see why people would want the drugs ugh.

So nice to see others with same view. I have met a few my age or younger(30yo) that already know they are getting epi. I could not see WANTING to be unable to walk freely(even with the low dose/walking epis) I have a fear of being restrained(probably cause I get those sensations when you are sorta awake but can not move/talk)

I'm 24, and everyone I've mentioned my choice too have been like :shock:

My old school friends who have babies all rave about the epi. Errr no thanks!

I'm another that wishes I didn't "risk" the hospital! I really regret not attempting a home birth. I think there would have been a chance of transfer due to length of labour but then again it may not have been as long if I'd stayed at home. But even if I did transfer, my labour would have been easier mentally I think if I'd stayed at home for most of it.
Remember too that if you feel you need to go to hospital at any time you can, but if you start off in hospital then you're pretty much stuck there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->