Should I contact midwife regarding sickness?

kirstybumx3

Mum to two boys, R&N
Reaction score
I'm only actually sick once or twice at the most in a day but constantly feel like I'm going to have to run off to throw up at any moment.
I'm struggling because I can't face food. The thought of cooking makes me feel sick, I know I'm hungry but the thought of food makes me feel sick, when I do actually eat that's when I'm sick.
At the moment I'm managing one small meal a day, and by meal i mean hardly anything.
Yesterday all I had all day was half a chicken breast and three or four chips at lunchtime. Couldn't face breakfast and I was sick when I tried to prepare dinner so had none.
I'm worried my baby won't be getting the nutrients it needs. I'm sipping water constantly throughout the day but I wonder, if I'm not eating enough will I need extra vitamins or anything?
Really hope this passes quickly. I had no sickness at all with ds.

Tbh if you are being sick once or so per day they don't do much. I was sick maybe 5-6 times per day and I was prescribed cyclizine hydrochloride but that was by the early pregnancy unit and only because the midwife there knew me really well and could see how unwell I looked. My own community midwife basically shrugged it off as normal - which it is, unfortunately. When my tablets ran out I didn't get any more from my own midwife. They helped but only a little.

I felt sick almost all the time up to about 16 weeks, it was manageable after that (maybe only physically sick every few days) - they will check your urine to check that you aren't in starvation mode (I think it is leukocytes they look for? Maybe not) and if they come back normal or just slightly elevated they don't do much I'm afraid.

For me, eating carbohydrates helped. Eating every 2 hours during the day - even something small and plain like a single cracker - also helped. Ginger ale is good too, as is Lucozade sport. I craved tomato flavour things so I often had cheer tomatoes cut in half on a cracker, sometimes with a bit cheese. I also found homemade pizzas went down well and they were pretty healthy and balanced.

Midwife can't really do anything as they can't prescribe anything.
If you feel nothing else helps then you could go to your GP and they can prescribe some tablets :)

Thanks I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I have no energy and the constant nausea is really getting to me. If I could just eat a decent meal I'm sure I'd feel a bit better.

I completely feel for you. I'm 15 weeks today and only just starting to not feel horribly sick every day! It's draining.

They're only ever really concerned if you can't keep fluids down so they probably won't prescribe you anything. If you have a nice gp they may give you cyclizine, which stopes me throwing up but didn't take away feeling sick, so may not benefit you much anyways x

Your body will feed the baby before it feeds you, is how my OB stated it to me. So even if you aren't retaining much, you are doing okay. Just try nibbling something- crackers or cereal or such. If you can convince you stomach to hold it down, then it makes it easier to eat and have someone else make your meals. Make sure it is stuff that does not have much smell as the smell is often the trigger. Also make sure you are getting a little extra b vitamins if you can and some magnesium- even an Epsom salt bath will help with the magnesium.

I may be the odd one out but my GP prescribed me Ondanestron for my sickness without any stress (I'm in the U.K.)I have a vomiting phobia and have bad panic attacks every time I'm sick so that may have been why I supppse. I was being sick a few times a day but barely eating from fear and unable to get myself to work or really function much. I spoke to my GP about it and they gave me Ondanestron straight off. I'm still taking a low dose at 21 weeks as my nausea is only just improving. The pills didn't stop the nausea but it did stop me being sick.

Probably depends on your GP but I'd talk to them if you are struggling. It won't do any harm and they might offer you some help!

Thanks, I don't really want to waste an appointment for them to just tell me to get on with it. my GP probably would say that. I have my first appointment with the consultant at the hospital next Friday, I may mention it to him/her and see if they'll give me anything.
Its been Christmas I'm usually a greedy animal this time of year, I just want to eat but I can't :haha:

Kirsty I feel for you morning sickness is the worst. I went to gp first time around about 10 weeks as I couldn't face anything and had already lost half a stone, they gave me something but it stopped around 13 weeks. It's worth a visit! Also I used to put a sandwich by the side of my bed at night and as soon as I woke up in the morning I would eat it! It was the only way I could eat something and it does help having food in your stomach though I know it doesn't seem appealing! I used to have a peanut butter sandwich and some crackers and quickly shoved them down as I opened my eyes!!

See your GP, I've been given anti sickness tablets and don't need to take them every day but they make such a big difference when I'm feeling awful. You don't need to put up with the nausea, there are plenty of safe things you can take.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->