Should I do Blood test?

EEG2010

Reaction score
Hi all! I am 36 and ttc our 1st. I went off the pill after my last AF which was from Nov 3-7. I didn't start a new pack after that. I know that when you go off the pill you can get pregnant right away, and you also can have a messed up cycle for a while... we started trying right away. I was due for AF last week, asuming I would get it on a 28 day cycle..

I didn't get it, but I was very crampy last week and had my usual migraine. I thought it was coming but nope. Soo I tested and it came back negative.

Here is my problem. I have some major dental work to be done, I may have a cracked tooth under my crown with possible infection..It just started last week so I went to the dentist and told me he won't take an x-ray or even look under the crown until I find out if I am pregnant. He said I may need an implant done.

So, do I just keep waiting for AF to arrive or get a blood test to know, just in case I did get pregnant on my first month ttc, and my home test is a false negative?? :shrug: Any suggestions?

I would say go for the blood test. I pretty much would rule it out using all reasonable testing methods. Tell your doctor that even though you have tested negative on a home test, your cycle is late and you need to be sure you are not pregnant before getting some x-rays done. Remember to have a quantitative test rather than a qualitative just in case the numbers are low.

I didn't know there were different tests. I will make sure to ask. I appreciate your response.

The qualitative is just a quick yes and no and if your number is under a certain point will be no. A quantitative tells you how much so if it is say a 6 (which would most likely be a no) they may want to test again in a couple of days to see if it goes higher.

So I called and spoke to the Nurse Practitioner, she said to wait 2 more weeks and do another at home test. She said either you are pregnant or not, keep testing until you get a positive or you get AF. She also said if it is negative, and I don't get AF in 3 months then make an appointment. That sounds crazy to me to wait that long.

She said if I need dental work now to double sheild me for the xray and use an epi-free novacaine.. that scares me though if I am pregnant. Is dental work ok?? I thought not until your 2nd trimester. Assuming I am not pregnant, then all is fine, but if I am, and getting this dental work done does something to hurt the fetus, I will be horrified. :nope:

3 months is crazy. There is no normal reason to go three months. Six weeks with no af and no bfp should be long enough to make an appointment. I'm on state medical and they will do the blood test if I ask for one in New York. Maybe leave a message for the doctor to call you back? Or see if you get someone else? There has to be a better way. Sounds like the nurse didn't really care, to be honest.

What else did the dentist recommend? An infection can't be left untreated regardless. The double shield just doesn't sound like enough to me and I'm glad the dentist feels the same way.

Ok, so I am not the only one who thinks 3 months is crazy.. I will wait until the end of the year and if no AF or BFP I am making an appointment regardless of what that nurse said. I also felt she didn't care when I talked to her. That makes me mad.

Well my tooth broke today and I had to go to the dentistthe afternoon.. No novacaine since I had a root canal on that tooth so it didn't hurt. He had to do an xray to make sure I didn't crack my root. They double shieled me.. so I kinda had to at this point. Not happy about it though. He said the radiation is so low but he still doesn't like to do it unless it is totally necessary, and it was he said. ugh..

So now is the waiting game. Thanks for your replies ciarhwyfar, I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->