Should I just skip the appointment altogether?

SarahBear

Reaction score
Due to moving and things being a bit busy, Violet hasn't had a well-child check-up since she was 9 or 10 months old. She's now 18 months old. Recently, I was thinking I would contact insurance to make sure she was still on it (thought I had missed some paperwork) and then set up her 18 month check up for later this month (so closer to 19 months, but close enough). Turns out that they needed her social security number to get her back on insurance. Now that they have it, it will be several weeks before she's back on insurance. After those weeks pass, who knows how soon I'll be able to set up an appointment. I also can't set up an appointment in July because we'll be on vacation. So, if I can't get an appointment in June, I won't be able to set up an appointment until August. At this rate, should I just skip the 18 month appointment? What's really the point, anyway? Her development is great and we're opting out of the MMR. I suppose it would be good to have a level of familiarity with the pediatrician in case something comes up and we do actually need to see a doctor?

I'm in the UK, we had a 6 week appointment with the doctor, 9 month and a 2.5y check with a health visitor. The mmr request was to pop to see the nurse in the doctor surgery by letter.
We don't see a doctor unless he is ill.
So unless you have any concerns then I wouldn't go either, unless it's required by insurance or to keep her registered with the doctor.
Xx

I'm in Scotland and it's even less than what the previous poster said. 6wk check and a 2.5yr assessment.

I wouldn't bother unless you are worried about anything :)

The 18 month apt they asked about developmental milestones, to see where he was at. They gave a few shots. They had me fill out the autism screening questionnaire to see if any red flags were checked (standard to be done at this apt, but I'd imagine its no biggy to be done at the 2 yr appt instead).

If its going to be pushed back that late, and you don't have any major concerns anyways, I would just schedule the 2 yr appointment instead.

Yeah I was just going to say the same about Scotland, we get a 6 wk check and 2.5 yr check. Thats it. If we have any concerns we can ring a health visitor. I'd say if you feel ur LO is developing well and there's another check around 2-2.5yrs then just skip it cos it seems like LO will be closer to 2 than 18 months by the time you get an appointment x

I'm in London and here they have 8 week, 12 months, 2 year development checks as well as being able to take to baby weighing clinics. I had zero concerns at 12 months regarding her development, she was already walking, could say some words, was eating and wasn't behind in any way so I just didn't take her. Here in the UK health visitors like to check on young children constantly, I just don't see that it's necessary.

I skipped the 12 month one as I had no concerns. I'm not a child expert but unless the assessment going to be particularly particularly in depth then I'm sure I can make enough evaluations from my own observations and interactions to know whether to worry or not.

x

I think in your situation I would just skip it. I scheduled one of my LOs wellness visits 3 weeks late because the doctor we usually see didn't have anything available, and now ALL of our wellness visits have to be 3 weeks late, ie 1 year visit she was nearly 13 months. I asked whether we could get them back on track but was told that insurance wouldn't cover it if they weren't a certain time period apart.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't skip it. My son had well-baby visits at 2 mos, 4 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos, 12 mos, 15, mos, and soon at 18 mos and I feel like at every visit we had something to talk about. The dr. did checks on his legs to make sure he's walking straight, he's had a few different vaccines, and they always weigh him so I know the correct tylenol/advil dosages. If you did want to go, you could always call now-ish to set up an appointment for late June, and then if the insurnace didn't go through you could deal with that then.

This is just my opinion though. I do enjoy the well-baby visits personally as it's always nice to have confirmation that my baby is doing well.

If it were me, I probably wouldn't skip it. My son had well-baby visits at 2 mos, 4 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos, 12 mos, 15, mos, and soon at 18 mos and I feel like at every visit we had something to talk about. The dr. did checks on his legs to make sure he's walking straight, he's had a few different vaccines, and they always weigh him so I know the correct tylenol/advil dosages. If you did want to go, you could always call now-ish to set up an appointment for late June, and then if the insurnace didn't go through you could deal with that then.

This is just my opinion though. I do enjoy the well-baby visits personally as it's always nice to have confirmation that my baby is doing well.

I really enjoy them too, lol. I love getting the new weights, measurements, etc to add to the baby book. I know I can do this myself, but it seems much more "official" coming from his doctor's office.

I would make an appointment when you can. Many pediatric offices won't see you if you haven't had a well child checkup in the last year. At my DD's office you aren't considered a regular patient of theirs unless you keep a yearly checkup. In the event you need an emergency appointment, you don't want to need to find a doctor who will take your DD.

That's horrible! What doctor would turn away a sick child?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->