• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should I stop

Jenny Bean

Reaction score
My daughter is almost 15 months old and I still bf her about 4 times a day, when I get home from work, before bed, in the middle of the night and in the morning.

She absolutely refuses to drink any other milk, she will take a few sips but that's it, even chocolate milk.

My husband wants me to stop because he says once she is not getting any milk from me she will start to drink other milk.

Also we want to have another baby and he is worried if I BF it will take resources away from the in theory "new baby".

I am torn, of course I want to give my current baby everything she needs but does he have a point?

My DS (2.5yrs) still doesn't drink milk. He breastfeed until 25 months but stopping didn't help him start to drink any other kind of milk.

Also my son stopped breastfeeding when I was 7 months pregnant. It won't affect your new pregnancy and you only need to stop if you want to or your doctor advises it x

My daughter refused any other milk when we stopped bf, she's 7 now and still won't drink it. My others were happy to have cows milk but it's not a given. You have to do what you think is right

Thank you.

I had a MC in May does any one think that my BFing could have been the culprit?

I don't think so hun, I breastfed whilst pregnant but I admit it did make me nervous. The Dr assured me it was fine and Wouldnt cause miscarriage. It did make morning sickness even worse though. I stopped bf when I got to 6 months as I just had this urge to push her off whilst feeding one day 😳 sounds awful but that's just how it happened. I was hoping she would either self wean or Id tandem feed but it just didn't happen that way.
It's fantastic to get to 15 months though well done 😃

Why is your husband so worried about her drinking other milk? The milk she gets from you is literally made for her, it's human milk tailored to humans. Cow's milk or any other kind of milk lacks things that your milk can offer her.

My LO didn't drink cow's milk until she was over 2 and even then it was very rarely until she weaned at 3.

The milk you're giving your LO now won't affect the milk that you give a hypothetical baby in the future. That's not how it works.

Keep feeding her for as long as you want and are comfortable with. The reasons your husband is giving you to stop don't make much sense in reality. If you want to wean because you feel it's time then by all means go for it, but don't feel pressured to do so by faulty arguments.

Why is your husband so worried about her drinking other milk? The milk she gets from you is literally made for her, it's human milk tailored to humans. Cow's milk or any other kind of milk lacks things that your milk can offer her.

My LO didn't drink cow's milk until she was over 2 and even then it was very rarely until she weaned at 3.

The milk you're giving your LO now won't affect the milk that you give a hypothetical baby in the future. That's not how it works.

Keep feeding her for as long as you want and are comfortable with. The reasons your husband is giving you to stop don't make much sense in reality. If you want to wean because you feel it's time then by all means go for it, but don't feel pressured to do so by faulty arguments.

WSS^ I don't get why he's so anxious about her drinking other milk.

No BF won't take away anything from the baby, but you would want to drink plenty of water and take in enough wholesome calories while pg to support you, baby, and BF and keep your supply from drying up if you do so wish.

If it works for you guys to keep nursing, then keep doing it! :flower:

My experience is that I stopped breastfeeding (both boys went on nursing strike) and they didn't drink any milk after. Yes she will drink something post breastfeeding but your own milk is preferable to water in a lot of situations.

Thanks everyone,

I had the discussion with him again, he just things that we would have the best chance of getting and staying pregnant if we keep our "resources" meaning my body, I guess, reserved for the new baby. I understand where he is coming from, especially since I am 40 and he is 41. But my current baby still needs this nutrition from me!

The others have given excellent advice. I think the only thing that you might find is that it takes you longer to get pregnant. Even though I always managed to get pregnant while BFing it did mess up my cycles and probably slowed things down. If you are concerned about age then that could be a reason to stop, or maybe you could comprise and cut back feeds to one or two a day? That would probably give your cycles the chance to be normal and you could still be giving her some milk.

The others have given excellent advice. I think the only thing that you might find is that it takes you longer to get pregnant. Even though I always managed to get pregnant while BFing it did mess up my cycles and probably slowed things down. If you are concerned about age then that could be a reason to stop, or maybe you could comprise and cut back feeds to one or two a day? That would probably give your cycles the chance to be normal and you could still be giving her some milk.

I am pretty sure my cycles have returned to normal even after the MC.
I usually have my period anywhere from 28-31 days....So here's hoping, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->