Should we bring back the death penalty?

its their job, they knew what they were signing up for. i dont want to flip the switch, therefore i dont work there. i can still support the "flip switcher" even if i dont want to do it myself:)

Those in the UK- there's a series on channel 5 about serial killers. It's on now, this one is called Myra Hindley: Born to Kill?

Might be interesting to get an insight into what drives people like this.

Those in the UK- there's a series on channel 5 about serial killers. It's on now, this one is called Myra Hindley: Born to Kill?

Might be interesting to get an insight into what drives people like this.

Watching that now I hope they both rot!! Scum like that makes me all for it now makes me so angry!

Poor Winnie died not knowing what happened to her poor little boy not giving him a funeral shes lived with that torment for decades :cry:.

I hope Myra hindley is rotting in hell and I very much hope that Ian Brady is on his way there!

I feel deeply for every victim and their family, and i agree if anyone were to hurt a member of my family i would feel all different kinds of emotions but it doesnt mean its the right thing to follow it through....it wont change anything and i dont think it would make me feel any better about my loss.

myra and ian were both in Prison and locked away so they couldnt hurt anyone else, i still do not think death is the answer and i still dont believe they are being punished in the afterlife but thats a complex issue to start getting into.

What upsets me more is the likes of the stephen lawrence killers and the corrupt police and justice system..... the killers walked free for years and years and years.............all stephen lawrence mum wanted was a guilty verdict and some justice for her son............at least she finally got some in the end.

Hmm, I'm undecided on the death penalty. However I do feel that if there were 'stricter' punishments for all criminals we would see a huge drop in crime rates, huge. For example, do you not think if the punishment for a man raping someone was to have his bits 'tampered with' these people would not think twice about doing it? Rape is so much more common than anyone would think, I know of many people myself who have suffered from being awfully sexually assaulted by family members, friends, randoms who have forced themselves onto them, and what about all these reports about several footballers who have been involved in it... I'm not saying these people SHOULD have their bits damaged or anything, I just think some sort of stricter punishments should be in place. I sometimes think 'if they dont respect another persons body enough and physically and mentally harm them in that way then shouldnt they have their own human rights taken from them? Serial killers like the guy in Norway I think are just in another world mentally entirely (even though the judge deemed him 'sane') so even if stricter punishment WAS in place I don't think they would care unfortunately. But let's take this guy as an example, those who think, what if capital punishment was brought back and the wrong person was killed... it's 100% certain the norway killer killed all these innocent people in cold blood and he has no remorse whatsoever. Doesnt he deserve to be killed? There are moments when I say to myself 'yes he bloody well does'. But then I think, at the end of it all, surely killing someone regardless of what they have done, is just not something that should EVER happen. Hmm, this topic has always interested and confused me as i constantly jump over the fence with what I think.

Life imprisonment is arguably worse a scenario than death for many, so why not bring it back?

Is it not more cruel and inhumane to keep people alive against their will, by methods such as force feeding, ie. Brady,et al. There has been a big debate regarding assisted dying in the UK of those suffering from life altering illnesses and how the law is unjust and individuals should have a right to end their lives, so I don't understand why this right is being denied to those incarcerated that are capable.

Life imprisonment is arguably worse a scenario than death for many, so why not bring it back?

Is it not more cruel and inhumane to keep people alive against their will, by methods such as force feeding, ie. Brady,et al. There has been a big debate regarding assisted dying in the UK of those suffering from life altering illnesses and how the law is unjust and individuals should have a right to end their lives, so I don't understand why this right is being denied to those incarcerated that are capable.

This is a really interesting point, although in the case of Tony Nicklinson (who I guess you're referring to) he was denied the right to die despite the huge publicity surrounding his case and the terribly poor quality of life he had. If the right to die is still denied for people like him, then prisoners definitely don't deserve the right to die.. although whether assisted suicide should be legalised is another topic altogether, and one which would make a good debate alone.

interesting point!! i do believe that people should have the right to end their lives if they so wish but only if this became a right for everyone should prisoners also have that same right.

I was getting slightly ahead, and imagined that had it been legal, (which I imagine it will sooner rather than later) would it extend to prisoners the way the voting right had? And if people were to oppose this than would that not be considered inhumane. Suicide is legal and a common person with stable mental health wouldn't be stopped from going on hunger strike, yet we do intervene with prisoners, which I understand why but is still an illogical argument to me.

It would be a great debate as we would all likely be in agreement.:haha:

interesting point!! i do believe that people should have the right to end their lives if they so wish but only if this became a right for everyone should prisoners also have that same right.

No. They should lose that right when they commit a crime. IMO anyway.

what about in places where capital punishment still exsists? ^^^

edit: isnt that hypocritical ?

what about in places where capital punishment still exsists? ^^^

edit: isnt that hyporcritical ?

I think people should be given the right to die in cases like mentioned before, where the quality of life isn't there. However i don't think everyone should be able to just go, after all, people go through periods of depression and make mistakes.

thats also a good point!! hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm

where it comes to assisted suicide i do think it should only be those who are unable to end their lives themselves.

I think everyone has the right to end their lives and i dont think we should intervene with that choice and usually people have the means to commit suicide in other ways, in prison if starving themselves is the only option for a way out and people are intervening it is cruel i guess......... but i dont agree with assisting an able body but then giving the prisoner the means to commit suicide a faster way seems wrong too..............i need to think about this a bit more.

I was getting slightly ahead, and imagined that had it been legal, (which I imagine it will sooner rather than later) would it extend to prisoners the way the voting right had? And if people were to oppose this than would that not be considered inhumane. Suicide is legal and a common person with stable mental health wouldn't be stopped from going on hunger strike, yet we do intervene with prisoners, which I understand why but is still an illogical argument to me.

'Regular' people do get stopped from being on hunger strike. If you just stop eating, eventually you will be sectioned and force fed.

I watched a thing on Ian Brady the other week and one guy speaking kind of summed it up for me, he said something along the lines of 'the state does not put people to death, and does not let people die (obvs suicide!) when in it's care'.

They couldn't stop prisoners committing suicide using other methods, but surely they can't really just let someone starve themselves.

As someone else said, if someone went on hunger strike or attempted suicide in any way they would be sectioned under the Mental Health Act as they would be considered a threat to themselves. While suicide is legal it is not 'allowed', for anyone attempting to take their life will be sectioned immediately. Convicts are constantly observed so it is harder for them to successfully commit suicide, so although it seems like they are being prevented from doing so more than the ordinary person, I don't think that is the case.

Random but I love the picture in your siggy Emma x

'Regular' people do get stopped from being on hunger strike. If you just stop eating, eventually you will be sectioned and force fed.

I watched a thing on Ian Brady the other week and one guy speaking kind of summed it up for me, he said something along the lines of 'the state does not put people to death, and does not let people die (obvs suicide!) when in it's care'.

They couldn't stop prisoners committing suicide using other methods, but surely they can't really just let someone starve themselves.

I'm pretty sure that in the UK force feeding has to be presented to court before it can be implemented and a court usually rules in favour where this is in the best interest of someone who lacks the capacity. Refusing medical intervention or asking not to be resuscitated is more or less the same, as the outcome is death and this has unofficially been happening a long time in hospitals.

Anyway, I digress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->