Signs?

reallytinyamy

Mum and step mum
Reaction score
What are the signs that LO might need weaning? How will I know when I need to start thinking about it?

Good indicators are when polishing off a full 9oz bottle and still wanting more
following you when you are eating
trying to grab your food

Chloe will probably have a growth spurt at 3/4 months and might not seem satisfied, but persevere for a couple of days after she shows some signs as she might settle back down to her routine

I think you'll know but a few my HV told me were
Interest in food
Too hungry for milk (even if you've upped the formula or been breast feeding constantly for a week or so with no change)
Eating more than 35oz of milk a day

Personally I'm waiting for her to be too hungry for milk AND be interested in food. Each to their own though.

well...lol there is so much tension about this topic at the moment on here no doubt youl get a lot replies with many differencing opinions..

i can can only tell you why i chose to put tommy onto solids at 4 months...*nearly put 14months then lol*

Tommy was draining his bottles, crying for more but bringing a lot back up as he couldnt take the amount of liquid he obviously wanted...
His feeds were then getting closer and closer together as he was being sick he was hungrier earlier...
He started to pay attention tous when we were eating and kept staring bless him...
He was eating his fists, sucking his sleeves and trying to devour his dummy but getting agitated when nothing came out...
He had had a growth spurt and is a good size IN MY OPINION 13lb 10oz at 14 weeks...he also started wanting a feed in the night even though i was waking him at 11 to try and get him to go through....

he was generally upset and unsettled....

I spoke to my doc and he said HIS WORDS "the 6 months is a guideline and recommendation in aiding a mother in her upbringing of her child, however its eaxctly that a guide and an aid, try him on some food if you think hes ready, if he takes it hes ready if not theres your answer,you do what you think is right as moms know best"

after this i decided to try him on baby rice but again after the doc told me to try it *it tasted like wallpaper paste..how i know that i dont no as ive never tried wall paper paste lol* i decided to try him on a bit of rusk mushed up and he loved it, hes a lot more settled now, takes more naps in the day, is generally a lot happier and goes 10 - 12 hours a night!!

its a really difficult question babe as all babies are different..these were the signs for me tommy was ready though so i hope it helps...

h x

MIL is telling me she needs rice now What? Obviously she doesnt. She has 7oz 5-6 times a day and quite happy but cos MIL says it OH thinks she needs it.

I'm waiting for the signs Jo spoke of....right now Hannah is happy with her bottle, and only eats at most 5-6 ounces at a time (usually closer to 4) and seems satisfied afterwards. Kind of makes me wonder when she'll get up to 9 ounces :lol: Could be a while at this rate :D

Just smile and say " Ok thanks for that" then forget what was said :)
there is no way In my opinion that she needs it now
She is happy and content

theres no way she wants it now. yeah, she loves her milk, but shes not screaming for it all the time! although MIL would have you believe she is!

bigbelly quote....hes a lot more settled now, takes more naps in the day, is generally a lot happier and goes 10 - 12 hours a night!!

Totally the same here! Tabs had a 2 hour nap today.....unheard of ever!

I do think you have to go on your own instinct though, you know Chloe better than anyone :hugs:

Oh and BAAAA to HV's
BAAAABIES do not come with a manual,each one is different :hugs:

Here is a list of several commonly-mentioned signs that could indicate your baby is ready for weaning.
  • Holding his or her head up and controlling head movements.
  • Sitting well when supported.
  • Making chewing motions.
  • Doubling his or her birth weight.
  • Being unsatisfied after a full milk feed.
  • Demanding increasing and more frequent milk feeds.
  • Attempting to put things in his or her mouth - although remember that this is a development stage that all babies go through, chewing fists does not always mean they are hungry.
  • After a period of sleeping through the night waking in the night with hunger.
  • Displaying curiosity about what you are eating - again use this one with caution, as many babies will be interested in your food (and anything else you do long) before they are ready for weaning.

In Aaron's case, he fed every two hours ever since he was tiny, including during the night, so that wasn't much help! By the time he was six months he was actually going slightly longer between feeds, sometimes about three hours. I gave him tastes of food from about 5 months as my mum kept saying he was hungry, but he wasn't ready to be weaned. In fact, it's only in the last two weeks that he's actually started having one meal of solids a day.

It's quite hard to tell when they are ready, or just going through a growth spurt, but do whatever you think is best for your baby. Don't wean just because someone else is telling you too!

It's quite hard to tell when they are ready, or just going through a growth spurt, but do whatever you think is best for your baby. Don't wean just because someone else is telling you too!

So true could'nt be more right on that one :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"