Silent reflux, milk protein allergy or something else?

Blackrain90

DS-2 & Bean on the way!
Reaction score
Exclusively breastfed. First son had milk protein allergy (was 60% formula 40% breast until diagnosed) and his telltale signs were blood and mucous in stool, excessive gas and bad acne (and very fussy, borderline colic) diagnosed by 3 weeks old.

This boy (2 weeks old):
-Spends most of his waking hours grunting, whining and squirming like he is trying to toot or poop. Not always crying, but noisy and uncomfortable sounding.

-Wakes up from naps to grunt and squirm; sometimes wakes up to scream out of the blue, then back to sleep.

-Usually sleeps okay earlier in the night for 2ish hour stretches (though always wakes up grunting and squirming) and by 6 am, he only sleeps in 10-15 minute intervals between fussing.

-Oval and gripe water don't seem to help. We bicycle his legs and push to his stomach and he sometimes toots but he still grunts and strains moments later.

-Poops are normal looking (seedy yellow, sometimes liquidy) but no blood or mucous. Has a few poopy diapers a day (and usually a tiny bit of poop in each pee diaper) so he isn't constipated.

-Prefers to nap on his stomach (being held)- sleeps on his side with me at night, doesn't seem to like back sleeping anymore and won't sleep in a bassinet (have only tried on back).

-Doesn't spit up more than normal, but vomited a full feeding the other morning.

-Have trouble getting him to burp after feeding. Grunts extra hard when I try. Sometimes sounds like a gas bubble comes up but not out as a burp (if that makes sense).

-Will sometimes randomly start screaming and crying and the only thing that calms him is sitting completely upright in a kind of froggy legged position. Trying to note when this happens- the last couple times I remember were after a feeding and after he was snoozing on his back for a few minutes.

-Usually only feeds for 10-15 minutes at a time, sometimes only 5. Goes through fussy times (usually once a day- sometimes at night sometimes morning) where he sucks, and as soon as he swallows once he spazzes and fights off the breast, but mouths around and wants it back a moment later (repeat for 2 hours).

-Has a couple tiny spots on his face, possibly acne but barely noticable.

All of this has gotten gradually worse the past week. Does this sound like silent reflux, milk allergy or something else?

Our diet is highly dairy based and I wasn't able to cut out enough the first time around, so I really hope it's not the same issue this time as I hated bottle feeding.

ETA: going to walk in doctor tomorrow

My LO has reflux, sounds just like what you're describing. He arches his back a lot too.

Well he was a preemie so it was diagnosed in the NICU. He was on Prevacid and actually we just stopped it yesterday to see if we can (he just turned 5 mo), I don't actually think it helped all that much tbh. Best things we found though we're non-medicinal - feeding sideline position, burping a lot during feeds, holding upright for 30 min after a feed, sleeping on an incline... Sadly time is the best thing for it <3

I think it either sounds like silent reflux or that you have an fast letdown causing him to swallow excess air as he tries to cope with the flow (the panicking during night feeds/early morning feeds made me think this might be the case plus the quick feeds). Of course it could be a bit of both.

Having said that some of what you describe just sounds like a two week old baby
e.g not wanting to sleep in bassinet but preferring to sleep when held
only sleeping for 10-20minutes at a time
fussy periods at breast
spotty face
All that is pretty normal for a newborn.

that is very true for a newborn, but I will add that my son is nearly 3 months corrected now and most babies start to take in higher volumes per feed... due to his reflux he self-regulates and takes in smaller, more frequent meals.

It sounds like it could be reflux or the oversupply/letdown issue--hard to say. My son has had similar symptoms and he is on Nexium for reflux, but I've also cut dairy, soy, wheat, and corn from my diet to see if it would help. One more thing to check--does he have a lip or tongue tie?

He has a slight posterior tongue tie, but since he feeds fine most of the time, we haven't got it fixed.

He has a slight posterior tongue tie, but since he feeds fine most of the time, we haven't got it fixed.

If you have a fast let down, it may be that he is reliant on that to do lots of the work for him and doesn't create quite the right suction in his mouth (because the tie prevents this) to get a true vacuum and therefore takes in more air than he should.

The tongue tie could also be leading to some of the gulping, fussiness, and gas. It's kind of a crap shoot with babies though--you just have to keep trying stuff to see what will work, and sometimes they just have to outgrow whatever phase it is.

DS had mild tongue and lip tie and swollowed too much air when feeding. I had to stop in the middle of feeds multiple times to burp him which he hated. Both him and DD were also CMPI and I cut out dairy and other foods from my diet which helped a huge amount. They had a lot of mucus in their poos like you describe with your first but I dont think that is always the case. Reflux and silent reflux are common symptoms of CMPI. If I remember rightly if you have one child with CMPI the next one having it are about 30%

Hospital mentioned he had a bit of a posterior tongue tie but I hadn't even thought about it.

Took him to walk in doc Saturday, he just said to cut out dairy. Doesn't seem to have done much, and now he has been having more feeding issues (during his fussy evening time but also sometimes the day). Today I took him to the doctor who is very knowlegable on tongue ties. She said he doesn't have one but the symptoms point to silent reflux so she gave me a script for something to give him. Fingers crossed it helps everything!!

It generally takes a few weeks of no dairy to work fully if that is the cause. You usually see some improvement within about a week though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->