Silly question - date on scan...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by MamaK, Oct 16, 2008.

1. MamaK

MamaK Mama to Miles

Sorry if this is a really silly question, but is the date that you get on the scan the date of how many weeks pregnant you are, or how old the baby is?

As I have read online that there is a difference. Since my periods were irregular I cant count my pregnancy from my last period (as that is way too long) and since I have no idea when I actually ovulated or conceived :dohh: I have to go with the date on my scan, but was unsure to whether this is the date of how many weeks pregnant I am or how old the baby is... am I making sense? Pregnancy brain kicking in, haha...

:hug:

2. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

They will have measured the baby to see how far along you are ...Not sure if thats what you mean but by the measurements of the baby they can tell how many weeks you are
    hope this helps hugs serina xxx

3. MamaK

MamaK Mama to Miles

Hi, thanks for the reply serina :)

Yes, this is what they did, but I wondered by telling you how many weeks you are, this is how many weeks pregnant you are, right? Not how many weeks the baby is?!

Reading what I just wrote back and it doesnt even make sense to me :dohh::rofl: .....I will have to find that article online, but Im sure it says there is a different between how many weeks pregnant you are and how old the baby is... so was unsure to which the date on the scan was.

At the moment I am going with it being as how many weeks pregnant I am (like in my sig).

Thanks! And sorry for not making any sense, haha :D

:hug:

4. spoo

spoo Mum to Harry and Emily

I'm a bit confused to be honest. I thought they were one and the same thing? I'm 13 weeks pregnant and my scans have confirmed the baby measures 13 weeks.

I'm interested to hear the differences, sorry I can't help any more!

5. Jkelmum

Jkelmum Well-Known Member

Yes it would say how many weeks you are x

6. navarababe

navarababe Mummy To Brooke :-)

WEll when i went for scan they measured the baby aswell, its normally right, but then again my worry was that i could just have a small baby lol. xx

7. ajarvis

ajarvis Well-Known Member

It's how many weeks pregnant you are - you're talking about how if you're 13 weeks pregnant the baby is 11 weeks old? is that right?

The scan is how pregnant you are. So at 40 weeks you're due - not overdue if that makes sense :p

8. Laura--x

Laura--x Guest

They measure the baby and tell you how many weeks pregnant you are.

9. happy mum

happy mum Well-Known Member

At conception you are already 2 weeks pg. so your scan date includes these 2 weeks pre conception. so say it says you are 11 weeks pg, you actually conceived 9 weeks ago!

10. Janisdkh

Janisdkh Well-Known Member

Eample:
    If you saw the little babies hb at 6w5d so that means youre pregnant for 6w5d.. Not 4w5d

11. MamaK

MamaK Mama to Miles

Thanks to you all, thats cleared it up for me :)

Love and :hug: