Sing and Sign

bana

Mummy to Tristan
Reaction score
Ive booked Tristan into Sing and sign in April when hes 6months, :happydance: i really like the idea plus my friends lo cant talk so its a nice way 4 my lo to communicate with her when hes older as shes learning Makaton.

Anyone elses baby sign, and how useful did u find it?

Cheers xx

We used/use it with Hayden, it was great. We didn't do any classes, just taught him ourselves. We mostly did food/drink related such as more, milk, drink, finished, all done, eat...but we also did some other common everyday type of words like thank you, hot, other stuff like that. It was wonderful though, it kept him from getting frustrated alot of the time, especially with meals, he could tell us exactly what he wanted. He doesn't use much of it anymore because he talks more but he uses drink daily still and then a few others still...but he loves to show it off to anyone who asks, I think people are amazed by it and he picks up on that lol

It is def amazing, i was watcgin some vids on youtube! x

Harley knows milk, kind of eat and he has a few he's made up thet he thinks he knows lol, he is learning more and gone atm but is to busy clapping and waving tbh.
It amazes people how he signs for his feed instead of screaming and as he is feeding he signs milk as well lol i will try get a video of him doing it later

Ah bless :cloud9: I want my lo to learn things like milk, sleepy would b a good one! x

My sister teaches Singing Hands classes, which sounds similar? https://www.singinghands.co.uk/ She took her daughters to the classes when they were little and they absolutely loved it. Since they've been in school, she was recruited to teach classes. I love that the classes were designed to include children with special needs alongside 'normal' children. Sometimes my sister will unconsciously sign to me, and I haven't a clue what she's on about. :D I do plan to get her to teach us some stuff to use with our little boy though. Unfortunately her classes are too far away for us to attend. :(

Logan and i have just finished our first term today and it has been really fantastic !!

He already signs for milk , more, finished , ouch and no !

I would reccomend it to anyone , hope you have fun !!

Hi,

I'm fluent in british sign language. I think all these kinds of classes are great but just make sure you're being taught the right signs.

a) if you buy books be careful which ones u buy - alot of the baby sign books are american sign languager which is a completely different language from british sign language (as different as spoken french and english). If you want them to be able to use it later in the UK or US make sure youre using the native sign language not a forgien one. If they meet deaf people or go on to do qualifications or even become an interpreter they'll need to know the right language

b) A lot of the people who run the classes learned baby sign to teach baby sign rather than being fluent signers. Its fine for a basic level which is of course what you want - its all for fun afterall.... the only down side is that sometimes you might find that this leads to equivilant of chinese whispers i.e. they were taught a sign on a course they went on which they dont remember correctly and it then gets taught to you incorrectly.

A prime example is 'mr tumble' on UK childrens TV who consistently gets signs wrong. - the most faux pas ish of his mistakes is his consistent use the sign for vagina for triangle and by getting the hand orientation wrong for happy he has signed a rather 'colloquial' sign for sex (begins with an f). would you really want your two yr old wandering round signing that!!! ;)

All in all fab idea!!! I dont want to put you off - im just saying if youre gonna do it, do it right!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->