Skin care - do you cleanse/tone?

I do a Korean routine which involves quite a few more products. This summaries it pretty well, although I don't do it as hardcore as this admittedly (and my products are waay cheaper): https://fashionista.com/2014/05/12-step-korean-skin-care-regimen

On a daily basis, I use a cleansing oil (only at night), a foaming face wash with a face brush, toner/essence two in one, serum (my one is specifically for spots), moisturiser (looking to switch to a more lotiony emulsion soon though), a heavier cream for under my eyes, sun cream, primer with SPF, and a BB cream with SPF. I also have a clay mask mix, blackhead oil gel, Soap and Glory exfoliater (looking to switch to a chemical BHA exfoliater soon though) and a few sleeping pack samples that I use every few days interchangeably. I have some tea-tree oil that finds use every now and again too.

Sounds like a very good routine!

The only thing I had to laugh at in that article was when they said Koreans are appalled at how Americans treat their skin, because in Korea its all about being gentle. I can tell you with certainty that Koreans are not gentle when it comes to their skin, lol. They are very big believers in hardcore exfoliation; the removal of dead skin. They use those rough gloves to exfoliate their entire body and watch all the dead skin come off everywhere, and do the same to their faces. This usually takes place in public bath houses - everyone goes naked, and you can help your friend/family member with the parts of their body they can't reach while they do the same for you. You can also pay someone to do your entire body, including face. Afterwards your skin is left feeling extremely soft! Its believed in Korea that this keeps a person looking fresh and young. After living there, I always think about the dead skin on my body now and try to scrub it off when in a sauna or a hot shower :blush: Not sure how normal that is in the West, but I didn't develop the obsession until after being in Korea. I believe it probably helps a lot, as they all have smooth, young looking skin. The practice is also common in China and Japan, I believe.

Yeah I've noticed there are a lot of 'peeling gels' on the market, sort of want to try one out because I'm sick of face scrubs but they concept freaks me out a little hahah. The products I have are rather gentle, but I've seen a few baking soda and lemon based products which is meant to be so harsh on the skin! And omg, those bath houses sound absolutely crazy hahaha. I love having loads of pretty Korean products on my counter though, really keeps me motivated to keep up with the routine :cloud9:

The bath houses seemed strange to me too at first, but then after going once I wanted to go every week. It was always so relaxing, and you'd leave feeling cleansed and refreshed. Once you get over the naked part they're really nice :) I remember them always doing a cucumber mask right after the facial scrub, it was always made of real chopped up cucumbers.

Where did you get you Korean products from, that link?
Oo that actually sounds quite lovely haha. Nah I get mine off a specific seller on ebay, and tend to follow recommendations off blogs. I use a mix of Etude House, SkinFood, Secret Key, Tony Moly, Innisfree and Lioele at the moment - nothing too posh really haha.

Ooh I used to love Skinfood and Innisfree when I lived in Korea! I don't know the others but those two are huge there. :thumbup:

I do a Korean routine which involves quite a few more products. This summaries it pretty well, although I don't do it as hardcore as this admittedly (and my products are waay cheaper): https://fashionista.com/2014/05/12-step-korean-skin-care-regimen

On a daily basis, I use a cleansing oil (only at night), a foaming face wash with a face brush, toner/essence two in one, serum (my one is specifically for spots), moisturiser (looking to switch to a more lotiony emulsion soon though), a heavier cream for under my eyes, sun cream, primer with SPF, and a BB cream with SPF. I also have a clay mask mix, blackhead oil gel, Soap and Glory exfoliater (looking to switch to a chemical BHA exfoliater soon though) and a few sleeping pack samples that I use every few days interchangeably. I have some tea-tree oil that finds use every now and again too.

Sounds like a very good routine!

The only thing I had to laugh at in that article was when they said Koreans are appalled at how Americans treat their skin, because in Korea its all about being gentle. I can tell you with certainty that Koreans are not gentle when it comes to their skin, lol. They are very big believers in hardcore exfoliation; the removal of dead skin. They use those rough gloves to exfoliate their entire body and watch all the dead skin come off everywhere, and do the same to their faces. This usually takes place in public bath houses - everyone goes naked, and you can help your friend/family member with the parts of their body they can't reach while they do the same for you. You can also pay someone to do your entire body, including face. Afterwards your skin is left feeling extremely soft! Its believed in Korea that this keeps a person looking fresh and young. After living there, I always think about the dead skin on my body now and try to scrub it off when in a sauna or a hot shower :blush: Not sure how normal that is in the West, but I didn't develop the obsession until after being in Korea. I believe it probably helps a lot, as they all have smooth, young looking skin. The practice is also common in China and Japan, I believe.

Ah I love scrubbing off all the dead skin, don't feel properly clean until I've had a sauna and a proper scrub (OH scrubs my back for me and I do his :) ) Never the face though. I don't do anything with the skin on my face (except wash it with water). My skin is fine, not too dry and not too oily and I'm not bothered about getting wrinkles, everyone is going to get them eventually anyway no matter what you try and do to prevent it.

I've decided to start looking after my skin the way I've been advised :thumbup:

I've been cleansing and toning for a week now (my cleanser has toner in it, so its only one step) followed by a moisturizer. At night I apply eye cream. I also try to exfoliate once a week and do a mask once every two weeks.

Its only been a week and I already notice my skin is looking better: clearer, younger and smoother :)

I've chosen Consonant skin care. They're a little pricey, but they're a small Canadian company, and made in Canada with organic, all natural ingredients.
https://www.consonantskincare.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"