sleep advice please - in bed with us half the night

Embovstar

Mummy to Isaac 23.04.10
Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I'm hoping that someone can offer us some advice? Isaac is 9 months old and has slept through the night with no feeds for the past 6 months. Lucky, I know.

Anyway, the problem is that he is sleeping in his bed until 3.30am and then refuses to go back to sleep unless he is in with us. As soon as his head hits our pillows, he's back to Zzzzzzz-ing for the next 5-6 hours.

So, Isaac is getting 12 hours sleep per night but how do we go about breaking his wake up at 3.30? Despite LOVING him being in bed with us, it'd be lovely for him to spend the whole night in his own bed!

To add, I know he's not hungry and he's currently in with us, although THIS WEEKEND, he WILL be going in his own room! I've tried the whole comfort him before letting him drift off and patting him and whilst this does work other times, NOWT works at 3.30!!!!

Any help ladies would be GREATLY appreciated :) Thank you

Nicola xx

My son was born on the same day as yours :)

I don't have any advice, my lo slept through from 5 weeks but for almost the last month has been waking at night and just won't settle. It was alway at 4.30 but recently it has been anytime from 2.30 to 5. Last night he woke at 2.30 and didnt settle for more than 30 minutes until 11am. I try not to let lo in our bed but for the last week or so ive been letting him but only after oh has gone to work, but for the last couple of days even that isnt working. I'd be interested to hear others views on this too x

Alex still wants BF to settle but other than that we are the same as you, he's in his cot until his 2 ish feed and then he comes in with us (he's 8 months). I'm interested to hear responses to this. I kind of thought he'd stay in his bed when he was ready - I think I love co-sleeping too much to try to force it although I dont want to be doing it when he's older and needs more space in bed :haha:

I have exactly the same problem, except because I'm back at work I just get him out the cot don't even try to re-settle him because I'll be shattered in work :(

I wished i loved co-sleeping but im such a bad sleeper and end up being awake all night when he is in bed with me - i struggle sleeping in bed with my husband!

thanks for your replies, it's nice to know that we're not the only ones!

It's lovely snuggling, but Isaac has a habit of going on to his front and then sitting up - boncing, as we call it - whilst still asleep and then falling on us, head first :haha: bloody painful!

We've got a massive bed, super king, as my Husband is 6ft 8 but still this little man takes the bed over lol

I'm back at work in 2 months, so want to nip this in the bud before then. I'm really hoping that just by being in his own room, will see a difference.

Nicola xx

psst, the 23 April is no longer about St George for our family lol

thanks for your replies, it's nice to know that we're not the only ones!

It's lovely snuggling, but Isaac has a habit of going on to his front and then sitting up - boncing, as we call it - whilst still asleep and then falling on us, head first :haha: bloody painful!
- :haha: Alex has just started doing this - mainly to DH which makes me giggle at 5 in the morning. I'm back at work in 2 weeks and I always planned to sort it but I'm a sucker for waking up next to his cute little smile. I'm sure putting him in his own room will help, it did with my daughters.

OMG I could have wrote that myself and my Isaac is a day older than yours and I mean is exactly the same, even the slamming down on your face!
This started with us about 2 months ago and just to be warned, it has go no better, he now dosnt sleep when he comes into bed with us either. Been up since 4.30 this morning.
At first I didnt mind the bed sharing as i had the view, it didnt matter where he slept as long as he did but after a while it does take it out of you.

OMG I could have wrote that myself and my Isaac is a day older than yours and I mean is exactly the same, even the slamming down on your face!
This started with us about 2 months ago and just to be warned, it has go no better, he now dosnt sleep when he comes into bed with us either. Been up since 4.30 this morning.
At first I didnt mind the bed sharing as i had the view, it didnt matter where he slept as long as he did but after a while it does take it out of you.

Wow, another Isaac and so close in age and similarities! Don't tell me you're in Twickenham?? :dohh:

Oh dear, I hope that he doesn't continue for too much longer and I hope that my Isaac solves it soon too! Not sure my poor nose can continue with anymore bashing lol

Thanks Ladies...

Any further advice or suggestions from anyone???

Nicola xx

We're exactly the same. I'm desperate for a solution as she's starting to get too wriggly in her sleep to share my bed, she wakes me up by kicking me in the head!

we all seem to be in the same boat, there MUST be someone on these boards that has "been there" and cracked it??? hehehehe

Nicola xx

Megan started having issues sleeping in November. We were resorting to rocking her at all hours of the night & then co-sleeping. It wasnt working for us though.

After xmas one night I couldnt do it anymore - I was exhausted. We did cc which I said I would never do - I thought it was going to be horrible & I was going to avoid it at all costs. Well - once i started I said it was unfair to give up. It took way less crying than I thought & it was the BEST thing I have done! It really only took a few days & minimal crying. Megan doesnt need me to rock or co-sleep anymore and she goes down w/out a fuss & sleeps through & doesnt end up in our bed at all anymore. I know it isnt for everyone. No-one could have convinced me to try it - it was just something that happened for us when I was at my breaking point!

Megan started having issues sleeping in November. We were resorting to rocking her at all hours of the night & then co-sleeping. It wasnt working for us though.

After xmas one night I couldnt do it anymore - I was exhausted. We did cc which I said I would never do - I thought it was going to be horrible & I was going to avoid it at all costs. Well - once i started I said it was unfair to give up. It took way less crying than I thought & it was the BEST thing I have done! It really only took a few days & minimal crying. Megan doesnt need me to rock or co-sleep anymore and she goes down w/out a fuss & sleeps through & doesnt end up in our bed at all anymore. I know it isnt for everyone. No-one could have convinced me to try it - it was just something that happened for us when I was at my breaking point!

We tried CC and it didnt work. Did it for over a week and the crying just got worse and worse and it wrecked his daytimes as he was getting no sleep at night.

Hello
I could have written this too (head butting and wriggling included) but I think I have finally found a solution that works for us.
A couple of weeks ago I slept on an airbed next to his cot for a couple of nights and this really worked. My LO has gone from waking up every single night to sleeping right through about 70/80% of the time - which is a great improvement for me. Now when he does wake up in the night instead of taking him to our bed I sleep on the airbed. The little man seems happy with the reassurance that I am there (I hold his hand through the bars) and I actually get a decent nights sleep when I do end up sleeping in his room for a few hours. I'm back at work in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping that I'll be able to completely ditch the airbed by then. I have also noticed that when he does wake up now he is much easier to settle.

Hey Nicola,
I think to be honest it a phase they go through, some kind of regression for whatever reason.
Tobias will generally sleep through... once he goes to bed, but getting him into his cot is astruggle again.
Have you tried putting some of your clothes in bed with him... maybe the PJ top you are wearing that night, so that he has your smell to cuddle up with.
Does he have a comforter that you could cuddle to get your smell onto?

Have you tried getting up with him, and playing for a little while and then put him back when he tired? I know he goes straight to sleep in your bed, but maybe a little playtime will tire him back out and let him go back to his cot?

I just think to myself.... it is just a phase, he will come out of it!

What happens if you leave him to it?

Hope things get better for you. Hugs.
xxx

I have been having the same problem for a month now. She doesn't wake up every night, but 1-2 times per week for sure and nothing really helps. And since she's so smart, she actually stands up and screams. Not cries, just screams. She was sleep trained a while back and she knows how to self settle, I am afraid it's just a phase, very long one at that probably mixed with separation anxiety since I did indeed go back to work a month ago and that's when it has all started out of nowhere.

omg Snap daniel is exactly the same :( he has been sleeping through since he was 6 weeks :) but now wont go to sleep and when he finely does he is only there an hour then ends up in bed with us :( some nights he wakes at 2.30am and wants to play till 5am glad im not the only one wonder how long this is going to last! all i can say is thank god im not working

My LO does the same thing, when he wakes in the night he won't go back to sleep unless he gets in with us. I don't really mind so much, as long as he sleeps!!! Not like he's going to do it forever......I hope not anyway!!

No advise, We still partially co-sleep. Omar also wakes up after 6-7 hrs of sleep wanting to move into our bed.

Hello
I could have written this too (head butting and wriggling included) but I think I have finally found a solution that works for us.
A couple of weeks ago I slept on an airbed next to his cot for a couple of nights and this really worked. My LO has gone from waking up every single night to sleeping right through about 70/80% of the time - which is a great improvement for me. Now when he does wake up in the night instead of taking him to our bed I sleep on the airbed. The little man seems happy with the reassurance that I am there (I hold his hand through the bars) and I actually get a decent nights sleep when I do end up sleeping in his room for a few hours. I'm back at work in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping that I'll be able to completely ditch the airbed by then. I have also noticed that when he does wake up now he is much easier to settle.

This is pretty much what i've done - Maddison is still in with us so i've just pushed my bed next to her cot.
She was waking every morning at 5am and refusing to go back to sleep in her cot but would go straight off if brought into our bed, she's started sleeping through nearly every night again since I moved my bed and if she does wake up I put my hand through the bars and hold her hand or place it on her chest and she goes straight back off to sleep.

Not an ideal situation but i'm hoping it's just a phase and I can move my bed back soon :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->