• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sleep deprivation

ellydu

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I’m looking for some advice on how best to get my near 1 year old to sleep. My partner and I are at the end of our tether 😔
Our son has always been a late bedder and wouldn’t sleep earlier than 10:30pm and would wake 8am which used to be fine. Now that he has started nursery he still won’t go to bed until late but wakes up through the night for nothing more than cuddles and as we still have him in the room with us (we are in a 2 bed house and my daughter who is 8 still has her own room) we can’t have them sharing until he stops this ‘phase’ or whatever it is! He’s teething as well which is just adding to the mix and he’ll wake roughly 2am and won’t settle unless we pick him up or have him in beside us. I’m so desperate for sleep and even more so because...I’m 4 months pregnant having only just found out 😱 would be safe to say contraceptives don’t always work 🙈 Any advice on what we can do to get our son to sleep through the night would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance xx

Babies go through a separation anxiety phase around 1 year old, that combined with him starting nursery and being away from you guys probably just makes him need some extra reassurance/cuddles in the night. If you try to avoid these extra cuddles it'll probably just make his separation anxiety worse. I'd just do whatever he needs to get back to sleep, picking him up or bringing him into your bed, and know that it won't last forever. Neither of my kids slept through until they were over a year old so I feel for you!

DD got clingy when she first started nursery, it was a bit of a shock for her to go from hour settling sessions to a full day even though she really enjoys going. She also gets overtired at nursery which affects how well she sleeps, sometimes I put her to bed at least half an hour early on nursery nights which seems to help her. Hope you manage to get some decent sleep soon

I feel for you, my eldest slept through the night from a few months old. I woke him for a feed around 11pm and then he slept through until about 7. My younger one, I thought he'd be the same but he really wasn't! As a baby I had to sleep beside him in a camp bed, so I could touch him as he would wake up and need to know I was there (I didn't co-sleep, it scared me). As he got older he would sleep with a dummy, but then I had to get up 10 times one night to give him back his dummy so we did away with that. He only really started to sleep through properly this year (aged 3). I still put a little cup of milk by his bed when I go to bed, and he wakes at some point in the night, drinks it and goes back to sleep on his own. I know he shouldn't need milk in the night now, but we all get some sleep that way. Sorry that's not much help, but good luck xx

Edit: Ditto what the others said about separation anxiety, and possibly being overtired from nursery. My 2 definitely don't sleep as well when they are overtired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->