Sleep Help Needed!

Alfie's Dad

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just wondered if someone could hand over any hints and tips on getting my 6wk old son settled and off to sleep at night?

He usually has his final feed at 7pm, then we take him upstairs for a cuddle, little story and pop him down. At 7pm he is dropping off to sleep during his feed.

Up until now, this has worked fine - but all of a sudden for the last week, he has screamed and screamed when being placed in the cot.

Nipping back in every 5 mins does not seem to do anything at all.
He is now at a stage where he lies and cries until about 9pm - 2hrs worth of crying and screaming is hard to take on us!!

I have heard about something called controlled crying? Anyone have any idea's about that or have tried it?

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

hi, sorry you are having a hard time!
I did controlled crying (CC) with my baby but mine is 6 months old, i think yours is too young to do it, its basically where you but them to bed and teach them to settle, by going in every few mins and touching them arm or stroking head or something like that so they know your there for them, then go out room again then back in afew mins later....
until they fall asleep

I agree he is too young for CC.
Back to basics.....
has he fed enough
is he winded
is he too hot/cold
is the crib too cold (If you are in the uk it has gone chilly this last week!!)

Is it colic??? screaming ++++ in the evenings sounds like my LO
Have a word with the HV about this.

If he needs cuddles, cuddle him. He is too young to leave crying (as in controlled crying)

good luck
xxx

Could be hungry - they have a big growth spurt at 6 weeks.

Sounds like it might be colic - that's about the age it started for us I'm afraid.
Every night she'd cry non-stop from 11pm - 2am. Pick her up and she'd settle a little but as soon as she was lying flat on her back she'd cry and scream.

Have you tried anything like infacol?

We went through exactly the same. Had a go two weeks between 4 weeks and 6 weeks old where she put herself to bed - then a bad ten days where she wouldn't settle and the only way she would go to sleep was with the hairdryer on.

This week has been sooo much better. She knows that it is bath, bottle, bed and all of a sudden it clicked. We always do the last feed in the semi dark with very little stimulation and she drifts off. It could just be a rough patch!

We also found that if she was too tired she would fight sleep - not exactly helpfull!

Just try lots of different things but give each thing a chance to work. I reckon it took a week for her to register that when she was upstairs and ready for bed that meant a long big sleep.

Stick with it - it will get better!

I'm in the same boat as you an it sounds like Colic or silent reflux to me, I'd have a word with your HV about it. I agree that he is too young to be left crying, have you got a swing, I pop my LO in her swing when my back is getting sore carrying her around and its great.

I got infant gaviscon from my GP yesterday and last night we got our first good night's sleep in 2 weeks!!

Thanks for all your help and hints. It's most appreciated.

Will definitely check with the HV about colic. He is a big fan of fighting his sleep!!

I guess we just have to grin and bear it for a while!!

Also try to heat up the bed before putting her down. I use a heating blanket. Others on here suggested a hot water bottle. I tried that at first, but mine leaked.

Thanks for your help.

Will certainly will give those tips a go - seeing as we are now approaching the screaming 2hrs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->