Sleep Sense Support Group!

well i think the sleep may be because she is poorly! Really runny poo (i'm never happy last week you could have plastered with it) and bit warm but no temp. only had 3 tiny feeds in 12 hours and screams if milk goes near her!

She conked out on playmat 5 mins ago! moved her to beanbag and still completely soundo. She's never done that before.

Sure she is fine just a bug.

Polaris - my Lo sufers from being over stimulated just hates it!

Hello All -

Polaris - I stayed away from the scales! Yes, am proud of myself. I could see them out of the corner of my eye...but had a long chat with DD, and decided my worrying was very silly, and the best thing to do was let her lead the way. Thank you for the reassurance :hugs:

HG, PM - hope your LOs are feeling better? HG, glad you are feeling better about work :hugs: it will be fine, a couple of days adjusting, and it will all be fabulous. PM - I agree, your LO is doing really well, I bet he'll be striding ahead when his tummy is better. I still feed DD at night, although it's really v. early morning now. Sometimes she'll want a feed at 11pm, sometimes at 5am...I just go with the flow at this point :) Like P, she seems to feed better at night!

Our DD is still in our room, tbh, our house is quite creaky - and I think she's used to all the creaks and clonks. I'm a complete klutz when I try and tiptoe in, and normally end up bashing into something! I think once they are in a sleepy routine, they may stir...but then go back to sleep!

Naps, naps, naps - well, it's been a game of two halves today! Nap One: chill out time kinda worked. Did DD settle to Bach? No. Did DD settle to Mummy wailing along to Florence? Yes. Then she had a nap in her cot for a record fifty mins! Nap Two: The nap was on me, but tbh, I was the one instigating that! Nap Three is one the agenda...! lol

Evening ladies - well my poorly LO went to bed at 6.30 but been up 3 times since.

What do reckon when they are poorly? Persist with self settle or comfort with cuddles back to sleep?

So far once I got her to do it herslf and twice snuggled into my dressing gown and rocked in chair. I can't leave her to it when poorly.

Shes been off colour all day but finally had a good feed at bedtime. I can hear her on monitor shufferling although only been back downstairs 2 mins!

Long night ahead and OH is away. grrrr.

Poor little thing - I wouldn't be able to just leave her to it when she's not well either. I think Dana says somewhere that you can give them extra cuddles when they are poorly - but to try not to go completely off track. Really hope she is back to herself soon.

Thomas is in bed since 6.30 too - and even so it was a challenge to keep him awake for his bedtime feed. I think he must be preparing for the clocks going forward, LOL, he would have happily gone to bed at 6 this evening I think.

TennisGal - well done staying away from the scales! And yay for 50 minute nap in the cot - but a bit disappointing she didn't sleep for longer after getting past the 45 minute barrier.

I finally feel like we might be starting to get somewhere with naps. They are still totally hit and miss but for the last few days we have had at least one long nap in the cot of over an hour and a half. The only way he used to have a long nap was in the pram so definite progress. :happydance::happydance:

Hope everyone else is doing well. Off to bed shortly - sweet dreams everyone!

Morning :coffee:

I have my internet back!! Yay!! I no longer have to use hubby's iphone and can actually see what I am writing and not have it take 3 hours to write a message :)

History_Girls - Hope your lo is feeling better today :hugs: ANd I hope your night wasn't too bad x

Polaris - Chloe also wanted to go to bed earlier last night!! We normally watch Waybuloo then bed but no chance last night. I took her through to her room at 5.50pm to get her ready for bed!

Well I really don't know if we are getting anywhere with night wakings at all :shrug:
She woke at 1.45am and just fussed for 7 mins and went back to sleep on her own :)
She woke at 2.25am, cried until 3.05am, then fussed for 20 mins and went back to sleep at 3.25am.
She woke at 3.55am, cried until 4.30am then went back to sleep.
She woke at 5.15, cried for 20 mins, went back to sleep for a total of 10 mins then woke again so we got up.

Good news is she settled herself to sleep last night :happydance: I popped her in the cot, she sucked her thumb and held her blankie for 10 mins whilst admiring her other hand. Then went off to sleep!

Hope you all had a good night and good luck with all your naps today :)

Morning ladies!

HG - I think Dana says just to ensure routine is stuck once LO is better...she says to try and stick to routine, but I think realises that no Mummy wants to leave their LO when poorly. Get well soon, Phoebe!

P - Excellent news with Thomas and his naps!!

DD is six months :D where, where has that six months gone?! It has FLOWN by! We are going to celebrate with a lovely walk in the fields. We're all bright eyed and bushy tailed after another v.g sleep.

Cat - have just seen your post. Hurrah on the self-settling!! Loving the admiration of her hand, lol.

Thanks TG!!!

And Happy 6 month birthday to your lo :cake: So glad you had a good night!

TennisGal - Happy six months to your LO! Glad you had a good night's sleep last night. Thomas is five months tomorrow. I know what you mean about the time flying by - it's unreal how quickly it has gone by!

Cat - That's brilliant news about the self-settling. Hopefully things will start to get a bit easier from here. Are you still feeding your LO at night at all, or not? I find that it is easier to give Thomas a night feed when he wakes as then he will sleep right the way through till morning without waking again. Just wondering if she might be a little bit peckish and that's why she's waking so often? But now that I think of it, weren't you saying that she doesn't seem hungry when she wakes so it's probably not that. Hopefully the night wakings will reduce now that she's starting to get the hang of self-settling.

Thomas has been awake since 6 - I left him in the cot till 6.25 just chatting away to himself happily - I think he is definitely well prepared for the clocks going forward! So as a result he has already gone down for the first nap of the day - with no crying!!! He just moaned to himself for a couple of minutes and then off to sleep - I think that has to be a personal best! Let's hope it's a nice long one.

Do you all find that it's a bit of a minefield trying to plan your day now around when LO will need to nap? Especially seeing as nap times change every day depending on what time we were up at, how long he managed for the last nap, etc. I want to go up to the breastfeeding support group later cos I want to get Thomas weighed cos I haven't had him weighed in about a month - it's on from 11.30 to 12.30 - probably just when Thomas is going to want to go down for nap number two!

You know Polaris, I was wondering this. Usually she isn't interested in her morning feed but today she went mad for it! So was def hungry.
But back when I was feeding her in the night she still woke up every 1/2 an hour, I thought maybe feeding her in the night was disturbing her sleep more. Then when the HV and GP both said I should drop the feed I thought that was the answer.
Also last night I was worried I would confuse her by not feeding one night then feeding the next. Aggghhhh.....what to do!!

I was thinking to add an extra feed in today. Usually I feed Chloe every 4 hours but I might go every 3 hours and see tonight if that makes a difference.
Its hard cos Chloe doesn't let me know she is hungry. She will go 6 hours if I don't feed her before then and will just go from being fine to being histerical within minutes!

You know Polaris, I was wondering this. Usually she isn't interested in her morning feed but today she went mad for it! So was def hungry.
But back when I was feeding her in the night she still woke up every 1/2 an hour, I thought maybe feeding her in the night was disturbing her sleep more. Then when the HV and GP both said I should drop the feed I thought that was the answer.
Also last night I was worried I would confuse her by not feeding one night then feeding the next. Aggghhhh.....what to do!!

I was thinking to add an extra feed in today. Usually I feed Chloe every 4 hours but I might go every 3 hours and see tonight if that makes a difference.
Its hard cos Chloe doesn't let me know she is hungry. She will go 6 hours if I don't feed her before then and will just go from being fine to being histerical within minutes!

That sounds like a good idea then to see if she will take a bit more during the day. It's so hard to know what is the best thing to do, isn't it? I know what you mean about not wanting to confuse her by giving her a feed one night and then not giving it the next.

Well I can hear my LO chatting away to himself after only a 40 minute nap - doesn't sound like he's going to go back to sleep. Oh well at least he went down for the nap with no crying, you can't have everything.

Thanks. It certainly helps being able to talk to people on here and get some advice and reassurance.

Am feeling a bit sick today and also got this headache I just can't shift. Just so exhausted I guess, getting just a couple of hours of sleep everynight for 5 months has really taken its toll :-(

Hi all, I just wanted to pop in and ask from what age can you begin sleep sense? My LO only sleeps ~12 hrs/24, on a good day, and she is getting so overtired! I have tried everything I know how to help her sleep but it doesn't seem to work. I think she's too interested in the world. :) How old does she need to be in order to begin sleep training?

:hugs: Cat, I know how you feel - before we started SS, I could barely speak I was so tired! Had a permanent fuzzy head. Good news is, everyday it will get easier and easier - and Chloe is already self-setting.

P - same here, DD and I almost need a no interruption week to plan naps! However, they inevitably get messed up here and there. I think the key for me is that she will nap in other places - places other than me or DH! She is proving that she can...it's just her cot isn't the preferred favourite place, lol.
We're going for tea and cake later with my friend and her son - little boy born at the same time as DD, more or less. Coincides with nap...but am going to see if she can maybe have a little sleep en route...

HI Cutie - you can start whenever! :) We started around 5 months ish, but I think it is whenever you feel comfortable and ready.

Lots of support on this thread - so ask any questions you've got!

Morning all,
Cat: sorry your not feeling too good, hopefully your wee one will settle soon. I know that my LO still wakes up during the night but she doesn't cry has a bit of a shuffle, yawn and then settles back down.
We had another full night sleep again (Woohoo!!!). I heard her awake at half 5 and thought that we were going to have to get up as she was chatting awake to herself doing her normal gymnastic routine with the legs, however after 15mins she fell back asleep to 7.30 I couldn't believe it. Hopefully naps will be better again today.
Anyway wish us luck we are going away for the weekend with OHs family. I am looking forward to it and not as I hope that it doesn't disturb her sleep pattern that we have just got sorted out.
Good luck with the naps everyone

Hi Cutie we started SS at ~11/12 weeks and it seems to have worked for us so far at night.

Thanks girls! I have a few sleep books, but I don't feel like they give me a good sense of what to do. They tell me how much/often she should be sleeping and say leave her to cry (even hours) until she finally goes to sleep, but I don't feel that's very helpful info. Do you feel that the SS program told you enough detail about what to do as well as what to expect? Does it involve extended periods of crying? If so, do the babies remember you left them and resent you for it? Thanks for any insight!

Hi Cutie - Sleep Sense is pretty detailed in what to do...and covers all ages and scenarios. The programme does involve some crying - BUT you don't have to leave your baby alone. That's what really made us keen to try - we are not fans of CC or CIO...but knew we all needed some sleep before there was an accident of some sorts :( Basically, you teach your baby to self-settle, which is a fantastic skill, and you sit beside the cot - so your LO can hear, see and feel you. MUCH better - no feelings of abandonment at all - and it works!

Our DD grumbled more than cried, tbh, because she knew we were there - and her annoyance was at the need to get to sleep. She now sleeps really well. We're working on the naps, but bedtime has been completely changed - and we are all feeling fab. DD is much more settled during the day, also. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->