Sleeping or Eating

Jaymelynn

Reaction score
My son is 5 weeks old. Since birth he has always had a strong need to suck and comfort nursed often (all evening). But lately it seems that whenever he is awake he is nursing. He used to have 2 alert periods (one in the AM and one in PM) where he would interact with me or have tummy time or go in the swing. Now he nurses until he falls asleep and then the cycle starts all over again when he wakes up. He has NEVER taken himself off my breast. I take him off once he is asleep. He is gaining weight and has a good amount of diapers, but I am concerned that he is never awake to play/interact/develop. Is this a problem?

I should also add that he has been spitting up a lot too. I know they say breastfed babies cannot overeat, but the spitting up coincides with the increase of nursing. Not sure if it is related though.

I used to worry loads that all DD did was sleep or eat.

Even up until 7-8 weeks I can remember thinking this, so I wouldn't worry Hun.

Eventually he'll get nosey! Now my DD cries because she's hungry but wants to look around!

If it coincided with him being unsettled and seeming in pain I might suggest reflux pain.

However if this has just been the last few days it could be a growth spurt. As long as he CAN be alert i.e if you took him off the boob before he'd finished he wouldn't be floppy and lethargic, then I wouldn't worry. They do what they need to do at that age and we just have to go along with it.

Thanks!! Today we were out all day around a lot of people (at a wake) and he had two short alert periods without trying to nurse people or cry, haha. He even gave my mom a "real" smile. I am trying to figure out how to get him to have more hindmilk. If he falls asleep at one breast then I switch him to the other, is that correct?
I also think part of might be reflux, but his doctor does not seem to think it is "bad enough" for meds. I am watching it for one more week before I call her again.

Instead of switching you're better to do breast compression to get the milk flowing again.

If you switch he'll be getting foremilk from the other breast.

I worried about exactly the same thing! I can remover thinking to myself 'how is she ever going to learn to do anything?!' because all she did was eat and sleep and want to be held constantly. I now realise that it was totally normal baby behaviour. My LO now runs about everywhere and is so clever and has a great personality. I wish I hadn't worried so much! Your LO is totally normal and will definitely lead to interact etc. Your LO will become more alert and interactive soon I'm sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->