SleepSense Support Thread 2014

Spoke too early on the naps... DH tried this weekend as I really don't want to be the only one able to put her to bed during the day and the crying went on and on until we had to give up (as per the guide). And now I seem to be back to square one again :dohh:

Sitting here now with a crying baby, it's been 40 mins so far. My 3 year old is having to entertain herself. Not sure how long I can let this go on for!!!

:hi:
We used sleepsense with my oldest boy when he was around 1 and he has been a fantastic sleeper ever since.
My second son is now 20 months and still wakes up at night so we are considering using it again but need some refreshing on it!

ArcaneGirl - I absolutely recommend using it again :) We were hesitant as we remembered it being hard work and we were sort of hoping she'd sort herself out :haha: But we did and it's sooo worth it. It's been hard work, especially at nap times, but she now only wakes up once at night (we're on the 10th day/night now) and some naps she settles within 10 mins. Do you have a copy of the programme still? We kept ours and had to read it through again to refresh our memory! Our oldest is now 3.5 years old and our youngest is 4.5 months.

ArcaneGirl - I absolutely recommend using it again :) We were hesitant as we remembered it being hard work and we were sort of hoping she'd sort herself out :haha: But we did and it's sooo worth it. It's been hard work, especially at nap times, but she now only wakes up once at night (we're on the 10th day/night now) and some naps she settles within 10 mins. Do you have a copy of the programme still? We kept ours and had to read it through again to refresh our memory! Our oldest is now 3.5 years old and our youngest is 4.5 months.

I keep reading this thread to try and convince myself to start again but keep coming up with excuses of she's too little and we go on holiday in a month which would wreck it all. Oh is all up for starting ASAP. I just remember that week of crying....:nope:

But four years luster and dd1 is fab so I know it works. Oh I'm indecisive :dohh:

I keep reading this thread to try and convince myself to start again but keep coming up with excuses of she's too little and we go on holiday in a month which would wreck it all. Oh is all up for starting ASAP. I just remember that week of crying....:nope:

But four years luster and dd1 is fab so I know it works. Oh I'm indecisive :dohh:

One month is plenty of time for a new routine to establish ;-) I think you should take the plunge!!! One month is also a long time for bad sleep...

Well I've been up since about 2am on and off with her and finally given up and she is asleep on me whilst I watch tv - who knew the Winter Olympics could be so interesting!

She is 5 months old at the weekend - is that too little? I'm off to raid my cp to see the age we used it with dd1 as I'm sure she was the same age. I just remember dd1 cried for almost 3 hours the first night. She cried a lot as a baby though but dd2 rarely cries so I find it really hard when she does.

We need to do something. How did your eldest cope with the noise?

I think I have a copy somewhere still, need to get some Time to read it.
He goes to sleep great for naps and bedtime, self settles great but its that one waking at night that still eludes us.

My eldest sleeps through it all, hes a heavy sleeper!

Hello!

Trying to do sleep sense with dd2 but not sure it's going to work with dd2. She goes to bed great no real crying at all and sleeps until midnight. Then the fun starts. I feed her and then she is up and down until 6am! I have no problem getting her to go to sleep each time but can't get her to stay asleep. Sometimes she sleeps for 5 min sometimes 25.

Do I need to wait longer to go into her? Do the leave in the room method?

Just feeling very frazzled....

Hi Everyone,

I just read the entire 'Sleep Sense Support Thread' started in 2010. It inspired me to start SS myself. We are on night 4.

My LO used to wake every 1.5 hours to nurse. We bed shared and I nursed her to sleep for both bedtime and naps then all throughout the night. I was the boob buffet. It was exhausting. Sometimes I was woken 8 or more times to put a nipple in her mouth. I actually miss sleeping with her despite the exhaustion. We slept together for four months and she is now almost 24 weeks old.

She has partially taken really well to SS, in that last night she slept through. No NW at all! I am fine with feeding her if she wants it. I'm not doing this to stop night feeding. But she didn't wake up. And my boobs were ready to burst. So despite her sttn I was up pumping, and thus not sleeping. Oh the irony!!

The problem we are having is the crying at bedtime. We are doing the stay in the room method.

Day 1- 18 minutes
Day 2- 2 hours and 42 minutes!!!!
Day 3- 1 hour
Day 4- 42 minutes

She is really holding out! I want her to give in, she gets so upset. I just want to pick her up and smother her with love. My husband is in the room with her. I sit in the living room and watch on the video monitor and cry with her. :cry:

Has anyone else had a wee one this unrelenting?

Hi HG!

You are old hat at this. I'm sure you and DD2 will find your way. Unfortunately you can only do as much as you can then your LO has to do the rest. That's the frustrating part.

My love is also fighting the process. The best we can do is stick to the process and stay consistent. And hope.

Hi Everyone,

I just read the entire 'Sleep Sense Support Thread' started in 2010. It inspired me to start SS myself. We are on night 4.

My LO used to wake every 1.5 hours to nurse. We bed shared and I nursed her to sleep for both bedtime and naps then all throughout the night. I was the boob buffet. It was exhausting. Sometimes I was woken 8 or more times to put a nipple in her mouth. I actually miss sleeping with her despite the exhaustion. We slept together for four months and she is now almost 24 weeks old.

She has partially taken really well to SS, in that last night she slept through. No NW at all! I am fine with feeding her if she wants it. I'm not doing this to stop night feeding. But she didn't wake up. And my boobs were ready to burst. So despite her sttn I was up pumping, and thus not sleeping. Oh the irony!!

The problem we are having is the crying at bedtime. We are doing the stay in the room method.

Day 1- 18 minutes
Day 2- 2 hours and 42 minutes!!!!
Day 3- 1 hour
Day 4- 42 minutes

She is really holding out! I want her to give in, she gets so upset. I just want to pick her up and smother her with love. My husband is in the room with her. I sit in the living room and watch on the video monitor and cry with her. :cry:

Has anyone else had a wee one this unrelenting?

:hugs: you are doing so well - much better than us at the mo. I totally get the crying with her. I just sob my heart out with dd2, much more than I did with dd1. Dd1 was always crying but dd2 is so smiley I find it more heartbreaking.

Your LO sounds persistent. Has your oh tried the leave the room method? It's not my preferred way as I want to be with her, but maybe she is more wound up by having someone there. Try if for half an hour it may work.

I am so jealous of sleeping through. I'm doing 3 night feeds but I'm sure she doesn't need them. I just need more resolve to put her back without feeding.

Well we had to abort that plan. We just had a nightmare first try at sleep sense.

She screamed her head off for a good hour then we have had to just pick her up and take her back to our room. She was so loud and upset I think any longer and the police would have come. It was horrendous. My LO is 7 months and can't self settle and wakes 5+ times a night. It's got to the stage where I just can't cope with so many wakeful nights. She's always fed to sleep so is waking up during the night wanting fed to put her back to sleep. I used to just be one waking and is now 5-10 sometimes! Argh.

We tried sleep training by putting her cot tonight in her new room. Iv since taken her back to ours to calm her and feed her but she's refused to feed probably because I moved her the last time she did. She's fallen asleep herself though. That's because I'm lying here and she feels safe. So she can do it. Maybe it was too big a step in a different room and being made to fall asleep herself. She just gets too worked up. It's awful. I hope we aren't doomed forever with this!

I feel even worse now as all the crying was pointless as she's not learned anything and is just confused.

Someone please help, where should we go from here?

HG- last night she cried for 41 minutes before passing out. A one minute improvement over night 4. Right now we are doing bedtime 6 and she is already at the 35 minute mark. I really thought she would have gotten used to the process somewhat be now. I really just hate the crying. Really hate it.

I also have a typically smiley happy daughter but of late she has been very subdued and a tinge melancholy. I hate the thought that I've ruined her somehow. She has just entered into her next Wonder Week. So I am desperately hoping that the developmental leap is the reason for the mood change. Otherwise I am an awful mum.

Ok. 40 minutes and asleep. Again, a one minute improvement on yesterday.

Last night she woke up at 3, I went in and feed her immediately and she fussed cried until 4. Back up at 5:15 but resettled quickly until 6:50.

What point are you at in the program HistoryGirl? I'm sorry about your DD.

Peppermint- you may have a very persistent baby like myself. My LO at least learned to settle herself through the night. But the getting to sleep part is just awful.

We were feeding every two hours most nights. Some nights every hour. But we were sleeping together so it was bearable. I was sleep deprived but at least there was no crying and I didn't have the feeling that I'm damaging my baby. I really am close to certain that we are not. But the crying!!!

So how many nights have you been at it?

I keep trying to go back to read the thread and my iPad freezes. Sorry everyone!

HG- last night she cried for 41 minutes before passing out. A one minute improvement over night 4. Right now we are doing bedtime 6 and she is already at the 35 minute mark. I really thought she would have gotten used to the process somewhat be now. I really just hate the crying. Really hate it.

I also have a typically smiley happy daughter but of late she has been very subdued and a tinge melancholy. I hate the thought that I've ruined her somehow. She has just entered into her next Wonder Week. So I am desperately hoping that the developmental leap is the reason for the mood change. Otherwise I am an awful mum.

Ok. 40 minutes and asleep. Again, a one minute improvement on yesterday.

Last night she woke up at 3, I went in and feed her immediately and she fussed cried until 4. Back up at 5:15 but resettled quickly until 6:50.

What point are you at in the program HistoryGirl? I'm sorry about your DD.

Peppermint- you may have a very persistent baby like myself. My LO at least learned to settle herself through the night. But the getting to sleep part is just awful.

We were feeding every two hours most nights. Some nights every hour. But we were sleeping together so it was bearable. I was sleep deprived but at least there was no crying and I didn't have the feeling that I'm damaging my baby. I really am close to certain that we are not. But the crying!!!

So how many nights have you been at it?

I keep trying to go back to read the thread and my iPad freezes. Sorry everyone!

That was our first night. I just don't think I can do that again :( she just gets so hysterical I can't see her ever stopping herself.

Is your LO still crying at getting out down? How did you get your LO to learn to settle her self during the night?

Do you think babies can ever just grow out of needing comforted/ fed to sleep or do we have to go through all these tears?x

I really wish they would grow out of tears and crying. But I'm pretty sure that as they get older, and habits get ingrained, that this process gets harder. That's my uninformed opinion thou as this is my first baby.

As I write this my daughter is very upset in her crib. My husband is with her, but this is hard. I hate it. Last night I had doubts about continuing. But if we were to stop now then we have tortured her for a week for nothing. This is all a long way of saying that I don't have an answer for you. How old is your baby Peppermint? Maybe she is in a wonder week/growth spurt? If so, maybe try again at a better time? You have to be ready yourself as well.

Sorry. This is just hard.

I really wish they would grow out of tears and crying. But I'm pretty sure that as they get older, and habits get ingrained, that this process gets harder. That's my uninformed opinion thou as this is my first baby.

As I write this my daughter is very upset in her crib. My husband is with her, but this is hard. I hate it. Last night I had doubts about continuing. But if we were to stop now then we have tortured her for a week for nothing. This is all a long way of saying that I don't have an answer for you. How old is your baby Peppermint? Maybe she is in a wonder week/growth spurt? If so, maybe try again at a better time? You have to be ready yourself as well.

Sorry. This is just hard.

Yeah that's what I feel too.

She's 7.5 months old. It been progressively getting worse since she was about 4 months.

Are you seeing an improvement with your LO? Are you doing the same for naps too?

I thought I was all geared up for starting it but maybe not. Do all babies go to sleep eventually? As the other night I saw no signs of her stopping or being able to calm down x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->