Sleepwear for the hospital

Rebaby

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
I've just been reading through some old threads about what to wear in labour and it's got me thinking...

Initially we were planning a home water birth so i didn't have much to consider but now i'll be giving birth in hospital and also may not be able to use the pool :dohh: So i have decided to buy a slightly baggy strappy nightie to wear during labour, and that's fine, it drops down for feeding/skin to skin and if i get hot i'll just whip it off and go nude! I'm sure i won't be bothered by that point :blush:

But i am now thinking about AFTER the birth and what to wear while i am still in the hospital. I am a pj kinda girl normally rather than nighties but i know midwives prefer nighties in case of heavy bleeding etc and also i know if i end up having a c section i'm not going to want pj bottoms sitting on my scar :nope:

But should i buy nighties one size up, like my labour nightie, so they're baggy? I'm not expecting to lose all the weight instantly but i assume once baby is out your belly does deflate somewhat???? So should i buy my regular size instead?

Argh! This is all SO confusing! :wacko:

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Hi
I took pj's and nightdresses in with me when i went in last week, i dont feel comfy in nightdresses all the time so i wore them at night and pj's or tracksuit bottoms in the day. If you have c-section i wore my bottoms higher up over the scar not under so they arent sitting on it.
Ive just brought everything normal size and they fit fine i would suggest having a look in primark if you have one near you xx

With my 1st i took 2 nighties in 14/16, I'm usually a 14 & these were to big but there was plenty of room for moving about & pulling up.
I don't like strappy tops so when i tried breastfeeding josh i just put him under the nighty or lifted it up as it was baggy enough it certainly wasn't hard work or anything.

Instead of taking pjs i took some jogging bottoms & they were sooooooo comfy!

Yes after birth your belly does deflate you just have a baggy belly if you get me so normal size pants should be fine, Something soft though would be best like joggers or linen or cotton. None of the midwives where i was made me feel uncomfy with what i was wearing, i was glad not to be in pjs all the time tbh. :)

I've brought jogging bottoms, 4 nighties (all massive) and some PJ's - can never be too prepared!!

I bought some PJs (black with small white stars) and a couple of nighties in primark..they were so cheap that i can just chuck them afterwards

x

Ive bought two strappy long nighties from asda and two pairs of black pj bottoms to go under them, I like long nighies with pjs lol
chose black so no leeking can be seen (I would be self concious of this)
nighties were £4 for 2

I took 2 nighties, 1 to give birth in and one for after. I also took some pj bottoms in, for the day after.

I brought my nighties 2 sizes up, so they were nice and loose.

I've been told that your belly reduces to something like the size of 5 months pregnancy so if you can remember how big that was it's a general guide to the amount of room you'll need.

I seem to remember I found clothes one dress size up pretty roomy but not too loose by the time I was 5 months, but I guess everyone is different.

I just have 2 strappy nighties and 2 pairs of stretchy PJs with cami tops for afterwards - bought them from tesco for £10 for all 4 I think.

I was going to buy a nightie but than i figure why buy one just to have it messed up ill use a hospital gown to give birth in. Than im going to get some pants and top type pjs that button up i was going to do flannel but i dont know how cold its going to be begining of october never can tell here.

I'm in Sweden and here they wear their own clothes like jogging bottoms and breastfeeding tops even in bed :wacko:.
In Ireland where I had my first two your jammies are the norm, I wore what made me comfortable which for me was my pyjamas, dressing gown and fluffy slippers. My friend had a section too and had a massive bandage so the waistband didn't irritate her until that came off days later so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Your belly goes floppy with a weird emptiness hollow feeling and yep does go down slighty as there's nobody occupying it but I've still had to wear my maternity clothes going home for instance.

With regards the nurses they might prefer the nightie but they won't rap you on the knuckles if it takes 2 seconds longer to whip off bottoms.

i dont know how cold its going to be begining of october never can tell here.

My babies were born in September, October and December. The heat in the hospital is regulated and is hot and clammy in my experience :winkwink:, have a cardy or dressing gown if you feel cold but I wouldn't get thicker heavier pj's that you might not wear again. I just had cotton ones and they were great as you could breathe in them.

Hi hun :hugs:

I've brought a nighty for when i have my c-section, then i've brought some jamas because like u i lov my jamas...last time, i just wore my jamas abve the scar, and got elasticated waist, i've brought me some size 14 full brief knickers, a.k.a bridget jones pants :rofl: in 2 sizes bigger to be comfortable with the scar, and some fluffy socks because november is going to be cold!
Also got me a fluffy night gownd, im going to be all nice and cosy :thumbup:

Thanks for all the advice ladies :hugs:

I think i have settled on a baggy strappy nightie for labour/birth and then a dark coloured nursing nightie (in my regular size) to change into afterwards. I have plenty of regular stretchy-waist pjs that OH can fetch in for me if i end up staying in longer, and i already have a cosy dressing gown in case i do get chilly (but when i was in last weekend the place was BOILING! Lol)

Just need some new slippers (my novelty dog ones are falling apart a bit and also probably a bit hazardous with all the stuff to trip over in hospital!)

I think i'm also gonna pack a sports bra/maternity sleep bra type crop top just in case they do let me use the birthing pool after all and i come over all coy and don't want to be nude! :lol:

Hi, I've just given birth so thought I'd give my view. I had a hospital gown to give bith in and I think this is standard but I assume people can wear something different. The gown was fine actually and gave good access to all areas as I had an epi too.

After the birth I bought a nighty from Next which is a nursing one and it was fabulous. I felt nice but able to feed as well. It was strappy too so I could wipe the whole of one side down if I needed better access to my boobs.

I'm gonna be taking in an old nightie to labour and birth in, altho I'm hoping for a water birth where I'll probably be nekkid or wearing a vest top.
I'll also be taking in a couple of clean vest tops so I can easily whip out a boob for feeding and couple of pairs of either trackie bottoms or jammie bottoms for comfort. I wont be taking in a dressing gown as the hospital temperature is always pretty warm... I think a nice slouchy cardi will do if I'm cold. I'm also taking in my favourite moo cow slippers.. soft slipper boot type things covered in cow print! I love em ;)

when i had my wee girl i wore a nightdress, just a plane one with a wee design on it from asda. I had it on in the ward on the Sunday and had it on throughout the contractions the epidural and even the section!! didn't get it off me until the Tuesday morning when i went for a shower as after the section on the monday i was left over night to rest etc, i even had my bra on as well because i had all the drips in i didn't want to say how do i take off my bra off and get the strap over the drips. 'doh' lol

This time i don't know what to do, i really am not keen on strappy tops at all as i hate my arms. I have 3 pairs of black pj trousers to wear after the baby is born. and a few new nightshirts. Hoping not to be in any longer than need be. So think i might just get some long night shirts and wear them throughout the labour xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->