smelling things that just aren't there!

MrsMandy

Reaction score
As the title suggests. For the last couple weeks I keep smelling things I hate but it can't possibly be where I'm smelling them!
I regularly smell cigarette smoke which I hate and it makes me feel nauseous but neither me nor hubby smoke or have ever smoked! And it's in the most random of places (in my pillow earlier which really isn't nice!) also in the bathroom I keep smelling strong fresh alcohol - it's almost like a bottle of vodka has been spilt. I wondered if it could be cleaning products but I haven't changed what I use and it's only been in the last week or so I've started smelling it.
Anyone else getting strange smells with no explanation?

Me, me!

Sometimes my sense of smell is scarily accurate but other times...everyone thinks I'm imagining things because I can't pinpoint where a smell is coming from.

Sometimes our clothes dryer smells like pot to me (neither of us smoke pot so there's no explanation for it). It could be you are smelling SOMETHING but maybe you're just not sure what it is. e.g. you smell cigarette smoke but in fact it's actually something else.

But sometimes our noses are right! One time I could smell gas/oil on the top floor of our house, no one else could smell it (my parents were visiting). My SO was looking at me like 'oh her she goes again with the smells!' I finally went down two flights of stairs to the basement and opened the doors to our furnace room: it totally smelled like gas! Even my SO could smell it. Luckily, it wasn't anything dangerous, just some excess oil that burned off. I felt vindicated that my nose wasn't wrong!

Yeah it could be - I did burn some toast so maybe it was that but that doesn't explain the other times I smelt it!! Hubby said that it could be our neighbour and I could be smelling it through the walls!!
My mum has always had a super sensitive nose so maybe I'm developing the same! X

When I was pregnant with DS, I was convinced for 2 weeks that the cats had peed on the couch somewhere. I mean I tore the couch apart several times, removed the covers from the cushions, bought a black light to look for hidden stains...Then I quit smelling it.

The couch was pretty new, I think I was smelling the chemicals off-gassing, and interpreting it as cat pee.

I smell alcohol too. And I have in more than one place. I got I to dh truck the other day and it totally smelled like alcohol... But he doesn't drink and he hadn't been with anyone that does, so it was just my nose playing tricks on me. I smelled it in one other spot too, but forgot where it was. I just remember it was somewhere where there was no way it would have smelled like that there.

I've been having this lately too, and it's extended to my sense of taste! I'm now convinced that all water tastes like citrus. The first time I was in a restaurant, so I thought it was lemon water, but it happens everywhere now. At least it's a good taste!

I wouldn't mind that either Amy! :)

Thanks ladies at least I know it's not just me!!

Same with me! I keep smelling and tasting dishwashing liquid in everything. I poured out my tea yesterday cause it tasted like dishwashing liquid and hubby made me a new cup, but it tasted/smelled the same to me. Other beverages, even water, also taste like that to me. So weird!

I have this too. I'm constantly checking my shoes thinking I must have stepped in some dog poo, but it's never true. Last week I cleaned my boots but didn't find anything but afterwards I could still smell it.

Oh yes a few weeks ago I kept smelling poo to, no poop anywhere...

I kept thinking the dog must be farting or something, but he would be outside...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->