smoking while pregnant.be honest

advice for seekingbaby#1..... tell your boyfriend that he has no choice but to not smoke around you and the baby also when he/she is born. In this instance you are the one who is in the right and when its to do with health of you and ur baby then he needs to be told!

Personally I feel sick when I see a women smoking and pregnant.

I was a smoker....since the age of 14.
As soon as I new I was pregnant with my daughter I just went cold turkey (even though my partner smokes).

I think its your responsability to keep your baby healty.

My daughter was stillborn at full term due to my placenta and umbilical cord clotting.
Now I had no control on my daughter dying. I miss her every minute of everyday.
I did everything by the book and she was still taken from me.
Its not fair.

So to those who did smoke and there baby came out out really taken if for granted.
For those who end cold turkey...well done!!

And to those who are smoking whilst they are growing there baby inside them.......you are weak and pathetic.

You asked me to be honest.

I am not being judgemental but I work with young people who have awful behavioural problems (in a children's home) and they smoke like chimneys. They smoke around me, and every time they light up I cringe thinking what it could be doing to my baby. I am maybe being irrational, but it does scare me, as I want my baby to be healthy and have the best start.

Hi

I smoked from I was 17 until I was 23 first of all, I stopped the very day I got my BFP and found it so easy, no craving, nothing. When my DD was 8 months and I finished breastfeeding I literally lifted a packet straight off and started again. Worst mistake I ever made after so long without them and not even wanting them, I dont know what came over me. I used to stand outside while my DD was in her highchair and look through the window at her thinking to myself - everytime I smoke one of these I am shortening the length of time I am here for you. It made me feel incredibly guilty and a pathetically weak person. I found out 2 weeks ago I am pregnant and again stopped immediately and found it easy only this time I will not become a slave to nicotine ever again.

It is not that simple for everyone. Each and every person has a bigger or smaller addictive nature, and not everyone can find it as easy as I did.

But the way I see it is, from the minute your baby is concieved its in your hands as mothers to make the best decisions you can to protect them throughout their lives starting right from that BFP. This includes stopping smoking. The baby cannot make the decision itself whether it wants our nicotine flowing through its veins. Its in our hands. Thats the thing always rings home to me. Noone would ever think of sticking a cigarette into a babies mouth would they?

Good luck all you ladies who are finding it hard, its different for everyone
:thumbup: beat those fags girls! Dont let them win!

That's a good way of looking at it
xx

Ive been there and its hard but you can do it, just keep at it girls and well done for cutting down on what you have so far, every 1 cigarette you have less is a step in the right direction.

The more support you can get from eachother the better, you dont need people preaching and using scare tactics to get you to quit, that wont do a thing.

Best of luck ladies :thumbup:

Yep I agree it does my head in when people preach about this, as if you dont know the risks??

Ive been there too, I stopped when I found out I was pregnant and been ciggie free for 2 yrs on the 10th October! although I do have a cheeky 1 (or 5) when I go out drinking but happens so rarely itsw not even worth thinking about.

Good luck ladies :) x

The OP asked people to be honest about who smoked, not be honest about what you think of it, this thread isnt for preaching and judging, its for people who are still smoking to offer support on giving up!!

I smoked from the age of 14 but stopped for all my pregnancies including this one. You ask for honesty and i will give it, from my opinion. Its an addiction, i was certainly addicted, 20+ a day. But if you want your baby to have the best start possible you will do your upmost to quit. Even if you cant, but you try your best, cut down, go to lighter smokes, anything like that all counts. There is always someone whom smoked, drank, took drugs etc in their pregnancy and had normal healthy labours and children, it DOESNT mean that will always be the case with anyone else whom does the same. Its a case of weighing it up, deciding whats the most important.

As i say, if you try all you can then thats enough, even if you dont manage to stop fully. I know some midwives advise cutting down first before quitting as stopping totally can be a shock to your body. Dont beat yourself up about it, but do try your best. xxx

i have only read to this message but i love this advice! you said it well ;)

The OP asked people to be honest about who smoked, not be honest about what you think of it, this thread isnt for preaching and judging, its for people who are still smoking to offer support on giving up!!

again..i havent read through the entire thread yet but people should definitely not be preaching..this only gets people upset and certainly doesnt help matters at all!

friendly encouragement is the best anyone can ever do! ;)

Think its called being nieve and oblivious to the dangers. And to the angel babies who are no longer with us. Most think 'it wont happen to me' well you wrong.

Most people will be lucky enough to do what they like and still have a healty baby, but for those who have other outcomes will be opinionated and you cant stop that.

Im sorry you lost your baby but there is still no need to call these women weak and pathetic when they are trying to give up ... do you really think that will help them?

I cant stop your opinion no, but i suggest you use it in a helpful way and not try to use it to scare and guilt trip people who are trying to give up, if you cant then you should perhaps take your comments onto a thread where opinions on smoking are asked of.

I understamd by I have read all posts and not all said they were trying to give up at all!!

A few did actually say they have smoked though all there pregnancies and their babies were fine.....this feels a little like bragging/sticking to fingers up etc etc.

Those I call weak.

I understamd by I have read all posts and not all said they were trying to give up at all!!

A few did actually say they have smoked though all there pregnancies and their babies were fine.....this feels a little like bragging/sticking to fingers up etc etc.

Those I call weak.

I must admit that I agree.
I don't think it's right to be saying, "Well, I did it and my baby's fine." My mum smoked while she was pregnant with me, and it has caused me some health problems, as it has with many others.
I'm not disputing that it's tough to quit smoking; it IS an addiction - but why would you even take the risk of jeopordising your baby's health?
x

As much as I agree about doing what is best for your child, I don't think calling people weak is helping... it just get's people's backs up. I agree that some probably don't try as hard as maybe you did, and I do think they should do what they can, by hook or by crook... but name calling wont make someone decide to stop. Support them and tell them they can do it and it is possible.

I'm sorry about your baby girl, she is beautiful
xx

Those I call weak.

I must admit that I agree.
I don't think it's right to be saying, "Well, I did it and my baby's fine." My mum smoked while she was pregnant with me, and it has caused me some health problems, as it has with many others.
I'm not disputing that it's tough to quit smoking; it IS an addiction - but why would you even take the risk of jeopordising your baby's health?
x

Thank you!!!!! Its hard to find someone who agrees.

Like I said, I was a smoker from aged 14. Smoked 20 a day, if out drinking way more. Was a big drinker too. It was an addiction for me too!!

But when I became pregnant I new it just wasnt possible to smoke. I would never put my baby thought that, its dicustiong and shameful.

Thank you again xx

Can you show me where people are bragging and "sticking their fingers up" as i have not seen one comment on this thread like that, people have said they did smoke during their pregnanices but regretted it etc.

Im not naming names, thats childish.

For a mother to go by the book and still lose her much wanted child....and see others not giving a rats about there babies health is so fustrating.
Let me be angry and disgusted....Its my right.

Just let me have my opinion and I will let you have yours.

Im not saying you cant have an opinion but at least back up what your saying? If people are bragging about it then i agree it is wrong, im with you totally on that one, but i havent seen anyone in this thread brag about smoking whilst pregnant

i've smoked since i was 16. i was up to a pack and a half a day. as soon as i got the unplanned BFP i had one more and then was done cold turkey. it wasn't easy but knowing that my body wasn't really mine anymore, well, i just couldn't. DH took all my smokes and broke them for me and flushed them down the toilet. honestly, it's the best thing you can do for your bubs. bub ramblin'; is right, try and cut down, don't beat yourself up about it!

This is why i cringe and think "oh no, here we go again..." whenever a thread is started about smoking.
Im not going to comment on the subject because it always ends in arguments, I shall however comment on the fact that everyone is allowed their own views and opinions. They are not entitled however to name calling.
Please share your views but still keep it polite.
To those who have given up well done and those who have cut down and trying thier best, good luck and keep going.

I'm not a smoker, but I just wanted to wish all those trying to give up the smokes all the luck in the world.... you can do it for your babies and you can do it for yourself! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->