"Snacks" for hospital bag??

Tea Monster

Reaction score
Just reviewing the old hospital bag... All the lists suggest taking 'drinks and snacks' for during long labour. Drinks I know are supposed to be non-fizzy sports drinks etc. But what do people take as snacks??? I realise I may not be able/allowed/want to eat, but if I do/can, I can't imagine what I might fancy at such a tricky time!!

Second timers etc please help with suggestions - what did you take or wish you had taken with you as snacks for labour??

hey honey 3rd pregnancy

And for me the thought of eating made me sick lol

Between being sick with the gas and air and the excitement of it finally all happening I just couldn't even think about eating

but everybody is different honey xxx

Not a second timer but I've bought a few of those snack packs of dried fruit, some bags of fruit and nuts mixes, and some of those sachets of jelly/fruit puree like these > https://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=fruit+puree&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=10660

I was the same as comic wife, I couldn't imagine eating inbetween the gas and air either.

I went into hospital at 9am and had Eloise at 3.44pm - I had a couple of cereal bars before we left the house, but then survived the rest of the day on 6x (small) bottles of lucozade, and lots of sweets (naughty I know) I just needed the sugar rush!

I wasn't allowed to eat during labour in case of emergency c-section which I did end up having, but the snacks were good for my husband and my mum, they didn't want to leave me and were with me for literally 3 days!! So they were grateful for me having packed them!

I took:
cartons of ribena & bottles of water
mars bars
biscuits
granola bars
haribo sweets (which the midwives loved :haha:)
marshmallows

I took a big bottle of lucozade, cartons of juice, rhubarb and custard sweets lol and little bags of popcorn. Us and the midwife had a little picnic!

lucozade energy tablets are fab if u diont feel like eating too x

Sweet sweets and more sweets, that's what's in my bag! Ooh a few cereal bars and isotonic drinks too. I've packed more for what I think I will want to snack on after labour rather than during labour.not sure if I will realistically bf able to keep anything down during labour

Sweet sweets and more sweets, that's what's in my bag! Ooh a few cereal bars and isotonic drinks too. I've packed more for what I think I will want to snack on after labour rather than during labour.not sure if I will realistically bf able to keep anything down during labour

actually as above that's the best advice pack more for after birth rather than during as you will probably find because you haven't really eaten anything you will be starving

I remember after little ones had come out I'm lying their with my legs still open to the world getting cleaned up and being offered tea and toast and eating it right their and it was the best food ever as by now I was absolutely starving lol:happydance:

I'm going to take bananas and snack-a-jacks, one day of kind of healthiness compared to my 9 months of eating sweets and chocolate.

You probably won't feel like eating much during labour itself to be honest, although chupa chups lollies aren't a bad idea for energy and to keep your mouth moist - but it's a great idea to take some snacks with you for after the birth.

Depending on what time of day you give birth the food offered by the hospital can be more than a bit hit and miss. You will usually get offered tea and toast while still in the delivery suite but it could be a long wait until the next main meal is offered and it may well be rather un-appetising when it does arrive!

So ... I'd advise taking a small bottle of squash with you (to make the hospital water drinkable lol) and some of those cereal snack bars, a banana or two if you like them and maybe some chocolate for a sugar lift if you need one :thumbup::hugs::hugs:

When i went on my hospital tour, the midwife told me to bring chocolate bars and sweets and cereal bars :D xx

I didn't eat at all in labour but was hungry afterwards! Things like cereal bars, flapjacks, fruit, crisps etc are a good idea x

hey honey 3rd pregnancy

And for me the thought of eating made me sick lol

Between being sick with the gas and air and the excitement of it finally all happening I just couldn't even think about eating

but everybody is different honey xxx

^wss^ none of it was even touched! This time I won't bother at all unless I'm induced

I got few packs of Jello, few cubes of broth (to drink if I feel dehydrated) and a couple of bottles of Glucerna (boost-meal replacement). I didn't take solid food with me because I want to eat light until my baby is born and then my DH can go grab some goodies (Chinese food etc).

I have cadbury mini swiss rolls, crisps, and cartons of orange juice and a 2l water so far but think I might pick up so galaxy, and sweeties in town later now thinking about it lol

I didn't take anything with me last 2 times,just a big bottle of water.
Definately wouldn't have eaten anything during labour.
Even the next day I just picked at the hospital meals,dh brought me in loads of choccies and snacks and most of them went untouched!

I took some fizzy water (although only because i couldnt drink normal water when i was pregnant) and juice
Chocolate
Hula Hoops :haha: they were my craving
and some lolly pops as something to suck thatd give me some energy if i didnt really feel like eating and some biscuits

I didnt get round to packing much else but i wish i had because i was in for 4 days and hospital food was pretty grim.

I ended up not eating anything during labour though!

I wish id taken something like some cereal bars or fruit :)

Im only on my 1st so obviously i've no experience yet lol but im planning on taking Lucozade, a few packets of crisps and some chocolate or something. Maybe a cereal bar too :)

im on my third .. both times once ive had the boys and gone to the ward i have been starving . ds2 was born just before midnight so there was no food till breakfast at 7/8.

i have a small bottle of squash , some crisps and chocolate and a cereal bar . i also both times got hubby to quickly make dairlylea sandwiches before we went to hospital - he ate them though :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->