SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) experiences

Fizzyfefe

Mama and pregnant with #2
Reaction score
If you have used one of these before, what brand do you recommend? How old was your baby when you started using it? I am looking for any experiences and information about these, please and thank you!

We tried a make shift, hospital provided SNS with our first, within the first few days because unbeknownst to me, I didnt have any milk, and she dropped 20% of her bodyweight, when she was already only 5lbs to start with.

With #2 we used a dental syringe and it was ridiculous. For 2 weeks, every feeding, i relied on that stupid thing hoping my milk would come in and Id have more than a few ml every few hours. We gave it up and just went to bottles and he comfort nursed for 4 months.

Baby #3, I'll be buying a Lactaid for and likely supplementing by day 2. Im hoping to have some colostrum stored up so I can give him that in the SNS. Hoping this time around we can make it work and have all of our feedings at the breast for the first year and I can give him what little bit of milk I do have.

Hi! I have two different medela ones that I'm currently using with my adopted baby...basically one has a single strand for milk and is made to clip onto a nursing tank/bra and the other one is a double strand that hangs around your neck. I bought the double one, not knowing that a single one existed, and bought the single one a few weeks later (both purchased off of Amazon) because i find it easier to clip it on and only have one strand to deal with (sometimes the second line on the double will become unlocked and start leaking).

I began using it as soon as we came home from the hospital with her, but since her mouth was so tiny, I found it difficult to juggle the SNS while trying to also achieve/maintain a good latch. I have also been dealing with flat nipples though, so I also had to add a nipple shield for the first several weeks. :wacko:

Around 6 weeks old, I found it much easier to use and we eventually weaned off of the nipple shield as well. She is over 3 months old now, and we are still using the single medela SNS daily. I also use the double one occasionally but still don't like it as well. To be honest, the SNS still seems like a lot more work than feeding her from a bottle but being able to nurse my baby makes it all worth it...most of the time. :winkwink:

Hope that helps and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"