So Cross with My Daughter's School!!!!! Update with Smiley Pic Page 2-Thanks Everyone

Thanks ladies,

I've been thinking about it and am definately gonna complain to the school as it could have been so serious and its just not on for 15 year olds to be doing that! I don't want it to happen to anyone else. It seems the lad is fairly decent, he did confess straight away and was actually crying his eyes out at what he'd done.

I'm not a fan of blame culture in general and at the end of the day I can forgive it becuase Holly is ok, wouldn't have the same feeling if it had been more serious tho!

Hols has just been singing a little song....."how lucky am I, didn't get a protractor in my eye" awww bless, she's such a love.

Bye Xxx

Lots of hugs for you and Holly! xx

15 year old boys (and girls too - I know this from experience lol) can be so stupid really - I'm glad to hear it wasn't intentional and he felt terrible for it. If it was between classes, then I'm not sure how easy it would have been to prevent. Kids that age often act before thinking and suddenly there's an accident. What a relief it didn't get her eye though - OMG that was close! I'm sure that boy won't be doing anything else like that again!

i went to a fantastic school and we weren't ever supervised walking from class to class :shrug: the number of corridors it' just completely impractical so i don't see how it's the schools fault. Boys will be boys.. my nephew is 15 and i could imagine him quite easily messing around with his mates and making a huge mistake by hurting someone :dohh: As long as your daughter is safe and well, the boy makes a formal apology and his parents are told and the school agree to do an assembly or such-like to explain the dangers of throwing ANYTHING in the corridors, then i'd be ok with it.. I picked a stone up when i was about 13 and was supposed to be having a throwing competition with my brother and somehow threw it in to his face instead of down the road and got him stitches across his eyelid (oops! lol) but i never meant to do it at all! Boy did I get a bolloc*ing of my parents!! :haha: Kids just make mistakes.. I'm glad your girl is ok and smiling x

aww shes such a beautiful girl, you must be a proud mum! Glad shes ok i think a little complaint is a good idea. xxx

The boy responsible should definitely be disciplined and I'm sure the school are dealing with this. However, I don't see how you can blame the school. Teachers aren't able to watch every pupil at every moment of the day, especially in a secondary school. All teachers can do is try to minimise potential risks, they can't prevent all accidents from happening. I'm a teacher and I think the blame culture in the UK is way out of hand. Teachers are afraid to let children do anything for fear of being blamed if anything happens. You are a parent so you will know that it's not possible to watch your kids all of the time, you turn your back for a split second and someone has fallen over, bumped their head, hit their sister etc. I would definitely be asking the school to discipline the boy but teachers need the support of parents. Instead they are blamed for every thing that goes wrong.

Thanks ladies,

I've been thinking about it and am definately gonna complain to the school as it could have been so serious and its just not on for 15 year olds to be doing that! I don't want it to happen to anyone else. It seems the lad is fairly decent, he did confess straight away and was actually crying his eyes out at what he'd done.

I'm not a fan of blame culture in general and at the end of the day I can forgive it becuase Holly is ok, wouldn't have the same feeling if it had been more serious tho!

Hols has just been singing a little song....."how lucky am I, didn't get a protractor in my eye" awww bless, she's such a love.

Bye Xxx

Mrs Hedgehog - Yes I am a parent! and I do realise its not possible to watch children all the time, if you had read my post above you will see that I agree, blame culture isn't the answer.

However I will make a complaint to school becuase I would like the matter highlighting to all of the kids - a mention in assembly so they can perhaps think about their actions and that the protractor was 1/2 inch away from slicing her eye open, and what devastating consequesnces this could have had on Holly's future!

I am actually an avid supporter of my daughters school and the teachers and I have actually taught in schools myself, I'm not laying the blame on the teachers in particular, but the school have a responsibility to teach the kids about consequences. Surely you can understand why I was upset about this!! At the very least I would like Holly's school sweater replacing as it is covered in blood!

No mention from you of any support for my daughter, nevermind, the other ladies have been more than supportive.

Hannah

I hope you don't go down the litigation route - these things do happen and sometimes it's about the school learning and making changes accordingly. I mean, I know that I carried on in the classroom as a kid - you can't be supervised at all times - and sometimes there's an accident. Obviously, all the kids need to be strongly spoken to and you need to be reassured that things are changing and it's been learnt from (e.g. no unsupervised access to the stationary cupboard) but I really don't feel that this is a litigation matter.

I hope you don't go down the litigation route - these things do happen and sometimes it's about the school learning and making changes accordingly. I mean, I know that I carried on in the classroom as a kid - you can't be supervised at all times - and sometimes there's an accident. Obviously, all the kids need to be strongly spoken to and you need to be reassured that things are changing and it's been learnt from (e.g. no unsupervised access to the stationary cupboard) but I really don't feel that this is a litigation matter.

I really wish people would read the posts, I've never mentioned litegation. I do find these sorts of posts somewhat provocative when thats never been mentioned! Obviously said to get my back up. Sometimes a mother needs a little understanding when something horrible happens to their child!

Maybe I'm feeling a little teary and emotional today :(

Really don't know what I would do since I don't have any kids ... yet. I guess the thing is is the scar ... if it stays its a reminder if it goes then great - a lucky escape. The boy shouldn't have thrown it in the first place - period. teacher can not be put to blame - I am not sure how many kids teachers teach nowadays but teachers cannot be held wholly responsible for the behaviour of children, I know that if the teacher thought this kid was going to do this then it would have been acted upon quicker - I think that teachers need eyes in the back of their heads to control such kids - this is my feeling as I always here from people 'its the teachers fault' nearly most parents where I live think that their kids are stars and the teachers are crap - and when i see this kids throwing stones at cars and loitering the streets the parents turn a blind eye (anyways that is my rant about teachers being blamed etc.). Going back to what happened I am sorry that this has happened to your little girl and hopefully the scar will go away - I hope she isn't traumatised by it. The worst thing that ever happened to me at school - and (please don't laugh as i still find it upsetting) - was in secondary school i was 13 years old - we had no uniform - so wore this dress which had buttons from top to bottom - we were all mucking around and one of the lads from school grabbed hold of the front part of the dress I tripped up and the whole dress tore in half which left me running to class trying to hold it together - I had never been so traumatised and embarrassed in all of my life - the theory of this is that the lad did apologise and I knew that it wasn't his fault as it was not intentional - and although it doesn't in any way shape or form compare to what happened or what could have happened to your little girl - I know that nothing malicious was meant and it was just an unfortunate accident xxxxx

im glad your daughter is ok hun and everything has turned out good xx

hi ya :hugs:
im glad holly is ok. kids will be kids hay. im glad the incedent wasnt worse than it was, and im glad the boy was upset with what happened some kids of today wouldnt of owned up. im sure he has lernt his lesson.

Thanks ladies,

Bye Xxx

Mrs Hedgehog - Yes I am a parent! and I do realise its not possible to watch children all the time, if you had read my post above you will see that I agree, blame culture isn't the answer.

However I will make a complaint to school becuase I would like the matter highlighting to all of the kids - a mention in assembly so they can perhaps think about their actions and that the protractor was 1/2 inch away from slicing her eye open, and what devastating consequesnces this could have had on Holly's future!

I am actually an avid supporter of my daughters school and the teachers and I have actually taught in schools myself, I'm not laying the blame on the teachers in particular, but the school have a responsibility to teach the kids about consequences. Surely you can understand why I was upset about this!! At the very least I would like Holly's school sweater replacing as it is covered in blood!

No mention from you of any support for my daughter, nevermind, the other ladies have been more than supportive.

Hannah

Sorry if you didn't feel my post was supportive of your daughter. I said I agreed with you about the children being disciplined and making sure the school was doing this. It just annoyed me that the title of your post said how angry you were at the school, not about the boys responsible. Obviously I feel very sorry for your daughter and I hope she heals well and has no long lasting consequences. A similar thing happened to my sister, a kid at school threw something which hit her in the eye making her eye bleed. She had to spend a couple of nights in hospital but luckily her eye was ok. The child responsible was punished and that was the end of it. I don't see how the school could be to blame unless they don't do anything to discipline the kids involved. I understand your upset about what has happened and how much worse it could have been but please don't take it out on the school.

Hannah, glad your daughter is ok (she is a stunner, isn't she!). I agree 100% with Nai1983. I know what I and other kids were like at school and sometimes these things just happen, sad as it is. I agree that it should be mentioned in assembly as it highlights to everyone how dangerous little things can be - who would have thought a protactor (I assume it was plastic?) could do so much damage. My family and I were throwing pebbles on the beach into the sea and I threw one straight into my sisters face. No-one's fault but mine, and I felt terrible afterwards, just like the young boy did.
Anyway, glad Holly is ok and you can put this behind you now. If you do write a letter then I would focus on highlighting the dangers to the children as I can't see that anyone is to blame as you say.
xxx

Oh, and I think you're probably feeling a bit shit because you weren't able to be there for your daughter as soon as it happened. I'd be feeling upset about that too, but at least it was her dad who was able to look after her. When I hurt myself on a trampoline at school I had a teacher take me home, rather than being picked up by my parents which was horrible. I'm sure my parents would have taken me to the hospital to make sure everything was ok as I had some troubles breathing (probably didn't say anything though as I was so young :dohh:).
xxx

Thanks Mrs Hedgehog,

I'm sorry if the title of the thread offended you, I wrote it while my daughter was in hospital and I had awful visions of what had happened to her, yes I was cross and overwhelmed by a desire to protect my daughter, sometime this can get directed in the wrong way! Like I said I'm not blaming anyone in particular I know accidents happen, I was just in shock at what could have been! Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Tarkwa, lovely message and great advice, thanks. I've seen both my sisters go through accidents at school and I know these things happen. I'm not cross at the boy now either, messing about is different to deliberatly trying to hurt someone! Thanks again.

Han Xxx

It sounds like the boy who threw it was a generally good kid who made an error in judgement and feels remorseful, but I'd definitely be asking the school what steps they'll be taking to prevent anyone else from being injured like that.

I hope youre daughter's cut heals with no scar on her gorgeous face, and I'm glad she is feeling well enough to make up silly songs about the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->