So I told my midwives I'd like a water birth...

Amy_K

Reaction score
Just got back from a MW appointment. Good news is that bubs is 3/5ths engaged! I'm trying not to get excited about this because our daughter was 3/5ths engaged for weeks and I still ended up being induced. I'm hoping because this is my second pregnancy my body has a bit better idea of what I want it to do...

I also told them that I had ordered a birth pool and they were a bit nervous as none of the have done water birth before (!) One asked "Do you want to deliver in the pool?" And the other said "You won't be able to have pethedine in the pool or a medicated 3rd stage. Have you got a thermometer? :dohh:"

At least the trainee midwife was excited.

I'm off to walk the hound, to see if it'll help things along a bit :happydance:

Oh, sometimes midwives just don't have a clue hahaha. Non of my midwives at our community centre were really trained in water births either so they had to have a few classes. I told my midwife in the end it's not a big deal, she just needs to be there just in case and I've done loads of research to know how to lift her up, how I want to be positioned and all that. So she seems more confident that I'm confident in myself.

That is great news Amy!
In NICE guidelines, it is your MWs responsibility to train and have their skill set up to scratch to accomodate your birthing plans.. so ask her or someone in the team to start getting up to speed with it!

It isn't adviseable to have pethadine in the pool, because the MWs need to be able to lift you in the case of an emergency - however, if you were unconscious, they would have to be able to do that anyways! not to scare you.. but you know what I mean. The pethadine could make you uncoopperative.

You can have an IM syntocin injection for a managed 3rd stage in the pool - there is no reason why not.. you might have to lift a thigh out of the water to get injected, but that's not a problem. What were the reasons she gave you for this!?

So pleased for you though, it is very exciting - when do you think your pool will arrive? You going to have a brilliant time playing about with it (if you get the chance to have a dress rehersal)
xxx

I don't want pethadine at all, but the midwives asked me to get it in case I change my mind during the 'big event'. The thing is I probably will ask for it at some point if I know its there, but I guess that's where an explicit birth plan can come to the rescue...? I'm hoping the warm water will do most of the pain relief, so the drugs won't be necessary.

I don't want pethadine at all, but the midwives asked me to get it in case I change my mind during the 'big event'. The thing is I probably will ask for it at some point if I know its there, but I guess that's where an explicit birth plan can come to the rescue...? I'm hoping the warm water will do most of the pain relief, so the drugs won't be necessary.

Wow that sounds EXACTLY like me! I have actually refused to get the diamorphine at all because of this. I was told I would need to get a prescription from my GP. But I told her then no I don't want it. That was about 10 weeks ago and the damn midwife STILL asks me if I'm getting it, and STILL tries to convince me to have it "just in case" I thought we were finally over it, but today she asked again! :dohh: I've tried to explain that I appreciate her concern but that I know myself well enough, and I can get into such a state that I would let them start pumping me full of cocaine if they could. hahaha.

Hey it's YOU that has to get the script for pethadine, so if you don't want it, don't get it. It's not all that effective at pain management anyways.. it just can make you feel out of it.

Hey however ever complete your birth plan is, if you are offered it and say yes at the time, then that's it really - so prob best to not get it, if you don't want it.

I don't have anything else to compare it to (as DD was water), but the water was wonderful to me!! instantly soothing.

My OH is from Brynaman, north of swansea - I hope i've spelt that right, or I'm going to be in trouble! Our DD is called Bronwyn (I liked the wyn rather than win) are you going for a Welsh name?

XxX

Well! We've chosen Bronwen if we have a girl!! And Gruffudd, if he's a boy. My OH is from London and his mother HATES that we've given Welsh names to our kids. (Really, she borders of xenophobia at times, but that's another story entirely)

I had half a dose (much much is that even?) of pethadine during my first labour and by the time I asked for the second half I was told it was too late. So I'm fairly confident (as much as you can be) that I'll manage ok this time if the circumstances are better (not in hospital, with CTG strapped to me and drip in arm :wacko:)

Let us know how it goes! This is my first pregnancy and am planning on a water birth as well.

The RCM expects MWs to know how to attend a water birth regardless of if they have pools in their trust etc. I find it astonishing when they talk the way they do.....no wonder women have so little faith in their birthing abilities when the MWs dont have much either :(

Our son is called Dewi (Hubby is a Swansea boy) but people really struggle with it! We get Dewey, Doh-ey all sorts.

Only problem is on team blue again and we cant think of any other Welsh boys names we like and aren't too difficult to pronounce!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->