So many questions and lots of concerns :(

Ashes

Reaction score
Ok, so I am 23 and around 84 lbs....idk but to me that sounds like a really bad weight to be at to even think about TTTC now. I also have a full spine of hardware....2 rods, 25 bolts, 3 hooks, and total spinal fusion from top to bottom from a cheerleading accident when I was 14. That terrifies me also. I just got back on a med to help me put on weight which works great and I've actually have gotten up to 111! To add on to everything I have a heart disease called IST. I know to me I sound hopeless....but maybe I can get some advice from yall. I def think I need to put on a lot more weight before getting preg....how much weight is the right weight if you are tiny???

What is your bmi, this can give good indication if you are a good weight to ttc.

I would speek to your doctor before TTC

If you are shorter than 5 ft 5 then your weight is perfect for TTC.

I'm 5'2. But can my body at this weight actually produce a healthy baby? I've have miscarried before so I'm very nervous....

A healthy bmi is between 18.5 and 24.9.

At 111lb and 5 ft 2 your bmi is 20.3.

Its on the low side of healthy but its still healthy. As long as your eating right it will be fine.

thanks girl! ive been so worried....what about having a solid fused spine with hardware?

I'd definitely be speaking to your doctor, hun. I don't think you'd have too many problems, but then I'm no expert and nor are most of us here! Pop in and discuss your concerns with your doc :) :hugs:

I would definately talk to your doctor about your spine because it may interfere with pushing and/or an epidural or spinal.

Thanks girls. See before I ever had any of my spine surgeries I asked my doc and he said of course I could have babies and have an epidural....well I also have severe osteoperosis and my spine doc also has let me down a lot and I have asked some ppl that have had spinal fusions and they said the epidural couldn't work at all...so I don't know what to think or do. I guess I'm just a worrier. Do yall think that bc of my size and I have a very tiny frame, that I will have to be on bed rest for most of the pregnancy? I heard lots of girls who are tiny with tiny frames have to have C-sections...is this true?

I'm 5'4 and was 120lbs when I conceived :shrug: Your weight sounds fine at 111lbs now. 84lbs IS too tiny though.

Thanks girls. See before I ever had any of my spine surgeries I asked my doc and he said of course I could have babies and have an epidural....well I also have severe osteoperosis and my spine doc also has let me down a lot and I have asked some ppl that have had spinal fusions and they said the epidural couldn't work at all...so I don't know what to think or do. I guess I'm just a worrier. Do yall think that bc of my size and I have a very tiny frame, that I will have to be on bed rest for most of the pregnancy? I heard lots of girls who are tiny with tiny frames have to have C-sections...is this true?

In short.. no. lol. You can give birth without a csection or even an epidural :thumbup:

Can you maybe see another doctor? I totally understand that you want to get more opinions but only an expert will be able to give you reliable advice. Good luck with ttc! :hugs:

111lbs is fine, I'm 114lbs and 5'4" and my BMI is low, but not too low to TTC.

Your weight is on the low side, but not badly so. Just for comparison I'm a couple of inches taller than you and about 16lbs heavier. I describe myself as 'cuddly' :rotfl:

Are you menstruating? If you are then you're fine :hug:

So as easiest this is for all of yall...well my BMI is at 15.2 right now...is that good or bad? I'm at 84 lbs right now! 110-111 is where I want to be. So I got put on a pill called Zyprexa which puts weight on me really well. Well I'm on BCP right now and barely have a period...it's mostly just a bit of spotting but I'm sure it will get better when I put the weight on. I'm just terrified that if I don't get over 90-95lbs by sept..when we want to TTC...then I won't be able to get preg...do lots of girls miscarry if they are at too low of a weight? I miscarried when I was 17 and I was like 97 so right now me being SOOO tiny is like ickk....what to do. Ya know? I also heard you can't be on sleeping pills or anything like that either when you are TTC and are preg. is this true?:wacko:

Generally my doc says it's best to not be on any medications at all when pregnant, but some are safe and only your doctor and pharmacist can tell you which, though I'd also do some research yourself online (look for proper peer-reviewed studies, not just someone's say-so).

Generally putting on a bit of weight helps everyone conceive, since it's a signal to our bodies that food is plentiful and so times are good for a child. I'd definitely try to get your weight up, since the baby will need nourishment. I wouldn't worry about your size other than weight, though. I'm only an inch taller than you, and I'm quite dainty-framed, and I'm not worried. Generally I think it's about how big the opening in your hips is, which bears no relation to the size of the outer bit of your hips, the bit you can see.

To be honest I would go to your doctor for a check up, tell him or her your concerns since thats what they are there for, especially with concerns to your spine. If they are happy that you can go ahead even at the smaller weight then go for it, simply because when you're pregnant you will put on weight.
As with C-sections I have many tiny friends who have had natural births, so size doesn't really matter I think its a mixture of things, size of the baby, any complications etc. BMI is a little bit of an iffy subject, since it doesn't take into account muscle mass and the like.

So as easiest this is for all of yall...well my BMI is at 15.2 right now...is that good or bad? I'm at 84 lbs right now! 110-111 is where I want to be. So I got put on a pill called Zyprexa which puts weight on me really well. Well I'm on BCP right now and barely have a period...it's mostly just a bit of spotting but I'm sure it will get better when I put the weight on. I'm just terrified that if I don't get over 90-95lbs by sept..when we want to TTC...then I won't be able to get preg...do lots of girls miscarry if they are at too low of a weight? I miscarried when I was 17 and I was like 97 so right now me being SOOO tiny is like ickk....what to do. Ya know? I also heard you can't be on sleeping pills or anything like that either when you are TTC and are preg. is this true?:wacko:

The issue is more whether or not you can actually conceive, because being extremely underweight (BMI 15.2) is a huge factor in conception. Your body is smart, it basically knows that you probably aren't healthy enough right now for a child and you likely won't conceive. You might be looking at a more long-term TTC as being very underweight really interferes with your period and regular cycles. A lot of women miscarry for a variety of reasons (usually not a viable pregnancy) which is no fault of their own, so I wouldn't worry too much about how your MC at 17 will affect any future pregnancy. Just keep putting the weight on and hope for the best :thumbup:

I think you definitely need to see your GP (or equivalent!) to discuss a lot of the questions you have, as none of us are experts, as far as I know! You are definitely a little bit too thin at the mo, but women do conceive when they have low BMIs & go on to have healthy pregnancies & babies. As soon as you are pregnant you should be referred to an obstetrician who will be the right person to speak to about mode of delivery & any other issues in pregnancy e.g. your back problems. You would most likely have an anaesthetic consultation so that they can examine your back & your history so that they can check whether or not an epidural/spinal would work for you. The last thing they want to do is try & work that out when you come in in full blown labour screaming for pain relief haha!

I think the most important thing you can do now is to relax & try & get yourself as healthy as possible & relish in the ability to eat all the yummy, tasty things that we all deny ourselves! You could also start taking some pre-natal vitamins, just to make sure your body is getting all the nutrients it needs. Good luck sweets, it'll happen for you, just give yourself time!

xxx

Check with your doctor about the epidural. Sadly, you might not know if it will/won't work until you try it.

You know, you can just go ahead without the epidural. Millions of women do it everyday, i'm sure you can too. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->