so overwhelming.

Ang1873

Mum to amazing wee girl.
Reaction score
I HATE WEANING, - there I said it!

I get so stressed about the whole thing.

I wish we could go back to just milk (Even though i stressed about that 2 because she wasn't a big drinker either!)

she's a tiny girl (bobs above and below the 2nd centile) and i cannot get it into my head that because she's tiny she won't eat as much as bigger babies. but i get so stressed about it.

I reckon if she didn't have to eat she wouldn't!

i also can't get it into my head that its ok for her to drop her milk as she's eating solids but i don't think she's eating enough. they say 20oz right? but even when she was on purely milk she only had 25oz so there's no way she'd take 20 plus solids. although she does manage 180z most days.

she sleeps through the night so if she really wasn't getting enough she'd wake right?

also - i 'forget' she needs to eat now (bad mum alert!) like today, i was out for lunch but it wasn't her 'due time' by the time it was i was on teh move and she was sleeping, so she didn't have lunch. why didn't i just give her it earlier?

i feel like such a failure (i am a born worrier and this was to be semi expected!)

i feel so elated when she eats, but then the next meal she won't and i get so down again.

also, i seem to always run out of ideas. i have all the books, but its like im scared to make her things incase she won't eat it.

omg, what a rant - i'm sorry guys!

ps - something tells me i can't give her citrus fruits is this right or did i make that up?

:hugs:

:hugs: You sound like it's really getting you down :( What kind of things is your lo having?

My lo isn't a big drinker either and never has been, I can't tell you how I stressed over it, it used to worry me crazy when she was tiny even though she was putting on weight fine! I'm sure that now she has nothing near the 20oz mark so I just add an oz or two sometimes to a puree. I figure an oz or so here and there is better than none and it all helps!

Yup, go with the flo! My lo was asleep today at lunch time so she just had it when she woke up, about half hour after her lunch and she still had some more food before her bedtime.

Are you freezing batches of food? Only cus it doesn't feel like such a waste if your lo doesn't eat, as you've not stood there and cooked it there and then if you are just taking a few cubes out here and there, if you know what I mean!

I'm no expert but I really enjoy weaning so hopefully something in this post will help :flower: I hope your lo starts eating for you soon :flower:

And youre not a failure!! Our lo's didn't come with a handbook so it's trial and error sometimes!! :hugs:

My lo isnt a big eater either, she was just like your lo when she was purely on milk and would only ever drink between 22-25oz, very rarely did she go over that. Also when she started solids she was probably only drinking between 15-18oz, even though since she hit the 10 month mark she has gone back up to around 24oz with 3 meals.

I agree with starrybean that if you feel lo isnt getting enough you could always add milk to dinners, phearps cerals for breakfast and sauces for dinners, these can easily have milk added.

As for the forgetting Ive done this quite a few times, more in the early stages. Its easier now especially as she eats what we do as I can just grab something while out. Quite often she slept straight through lunch if were out too, she just has either a little extra at dinner or more milk to make up for it. And like you say she would be waking in the night if she needed more :hugs:

I HATE it too. I have been so stressed about it, it is untrue which surprised me as I am not usually so worried about things like that. It is the options and choices I think that overwhelms me and I have worried that I am not doing it right etc

I have had lots of great advice from people on here, they have been great and I am beginning to realise that there is no 'one way fits all' and that can be kind of scary!

My LO has always been a big milk drinker 36-40oz! - But within 2 weeks of weaning just with a lunchtime puree he cut two bottles out, which means now he doesn't drink from 7am till 4pm except a few sips of water when prompted, so I have paniced about that!

I have made a lot of purees, some have gone down well and others he has hated, so they will have their faves and their hates, just like we do. It is trial and error.

Others on here told me to breathe, it isn't a race and it will fall into place, however slowly and I think that is what we need to remember, if they miss the odd lunch, it won't matter, they are still having the milk, and the world won't end!

PM me if you ever need any one to one support lol!

xxx

thanks guys!

had a better day today, she's eaten ok - although i tried a bolognaise for tea tonight instead of just a mixture of purees and that didn't go down well!

what do you do if she won't eat something, do you try something else or does that give her the idea that she if she makes a fuss she can get what she wants?

also, any idea about citrus fruits?

Yep, weaning is horrible! I've found it all so stressful and now have another panic.
I think it's better to try something else if she doesn't like it and offer it again in a few days. There's no point stressing either of you and I don't think at this age it will lead to fussy eating.
I think citrus fruits are ok after 6 months but they can cause a tummy ache in some babies.
xx

Glad you had a better day today :)
Personally if lo didnt eat her dinner I would probablly offer some toast or just something small, if she didnt eat that then I think I would just be inclined to leave it for that meal, sometimes lo will eat hardly anything in the way of solids one day and a load the next.

Im not sure what the official guidelines are on citrus fruits but have always assumed any time after 6 months, Ive never thought to ask. Lo has had oranges and satsumas before but no other citrus fruits that I can think of. The only foods I know shouldnt be given till after a year are, shellfish, honey, whole nuts and runny eggs, thats the only ones Im aware off :flower:

so peanut butter is ok too?

i had this argument with a friend, she said no nuts and i said it was just whole nuts because of the risk of choking!

ive not tried peanut butter yet, cos ive been stressing enough! lol

might try it tomorrow!

As far as I know peanut butter is fine, Im not sure what the sugar or salt content is so might be worth looking at that, even though I cant see it having a lot for the amount you will be giving lo. If she isnt good with lumps you could always go for smooth :flower:

The guidelines always used to be later for nuts, I know when I had my 1st child they was over a year but now that is only for whole nuts, unless you have nut allergies running in your family :)

I'm pretty sure peanut butter is fine as it's something they recommend for veggie babies as it has lots of protein, might be worth a google search :thumbup:

Edit: yup, nhs & Annabel Karmel websites say pb is fine from 6 months...

AK website:
Provided there is no history of topic illness in the immediate family (asthma, food allergy, eczema or hay fever) smooth peanut butter can be introduced from 6months.

NHS: Nuts - whole nuts, including peanuts, should not be given to children under five years old as they can choke on them. As long as there's no history of food or other allergies in your family, you can*feed*peanuts to your baby - as long as they're crushed, or in*the form*of peanut butter*- but not before they are six months old*

thanks guys!

had a better day today, she's eaten ok - although i tried a bolognaise for tea tonight instead of just a mixture of purees and that didn't go down well!

what do you do if she won't eat something, do you try something else or does that give her the idea that she if she makes a fuss she can get what she wants?

also, any idea about citrus fruits?

It IS stressful. It is only now that she is over 7mths and can eat most things that i worry less about it. I read all the books but i think that confused me even more!

If LO didnt like something i would try her again a few days later and usually she was fine with it.

I think the guidance is to leave citrus fruits till later as some babies can react to them. I have just kept with pears, bananas, etc until recently where i have introduced oranges, etc.

If LO refused to eat something i would usually just leave it and gve her a bottle.

Try not to worry too much as mlk is still your LO main food source until one. It is all for fun at the moment.
:hugs:

I'm pretty sure peanut butter is fine as it's something they recommend for veggie babies as it has lots of protein, might be worth a google search :thumbup:

Edit: yup, nhs & Annabel Karmel websites say pb is fine from 6 months...

AK website:
Provided there is no history of topic illness in the immediate family (asthma, food allergy, eczema or hay fever) smooth peanut butter can be introduced from 6months.

NHS: Nuts - whole nuts, including peanuts, should not be given to children under five years old as they can choke on them. As long as there's no history of food or other allergies in your family, you can*feed*peanuts to your baby - as long as they're crushed, or in*the form*of peanut butter*- but not before they are six months old*

I didnt realise that the guidelines for whole nuts was after 5, I always thought it was 3, and I give my 3 year old whole peanuts only the other week :dohh:
Thanks for this :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->