So pee'd off! I thought I was the pregnant one here!?

munchy

Mama bear to Dexter Axl
Reaction score
I'm really upset.
My other half is probably the least understanding person in the world.
My boss has just revealed he plans to let me go in a few months time (yes I know its illegal etc.... but I can't be bothered with all the legal battles if Im honest) and I am utterly exhausted doing this 9-5 desk job. I've been offered work at McDonalds and OH wants me to take it because otherwise in a few months time I wont have a job at all. But my point is if I can barely manage this job how am I going to manage being in such a fast paced job on my feet all day!?
He's moping around complaining he's tired and he feels sick, are you bloody kidding me?! He then just turned round to me and said 'For Gods sake you're acting like you're heavily pregnant'
Grrrr he has no idea how crappy I feel!!!!
Hmmph, fed up! I really didn't need to hear that from him after he started an arguement with me at my first midwife appointment this morning.
He's usually so sweet and lovely, why is he suddenly acting like the bloody moody pregnant woman? :(

are you in the US? If so you can collect unemployment off the company for wrongful termination. That will help you get through your pregnancy at least.

Nope Im in the UK. I believe I'd be looking at a long legal battle. Whats more, they're really nice people and Im too damn nice for my own good.

Did your boss tell you he's letting you go after he found out you were pregnant? Or does he not know? If he doesn't know, you might want to tell him and maybe you can work reduced hours until you're ready to leave? Since you said they were nice people and all that might be worth a shot? You probably won't feel so crummy for the whole pregnancy. Most women feel much more like themselves in 2nd tri (more energy, less or no m/s) so you might want to keep working then?

ETA: I would go for the desk job if you can - McD's seems way more hectic and stressful.

They are going to replace me due to my pregnancy as they want someone long term.

They are going to replace me due to my pregnancy as they want someone long term.

Well dang that doesn't sound like "nice people". If you don't plan on going back, then I would discuss working until you are ready to go on leave. Not stuck looking for work at 20 weeks pregnant! It's not like it's easy to find work at that point. They're not legally allowed to fire you for being pregnant grr.

Call some attorneys. Some would take your case up and only ask to get paid if you win a monetary settlement. Of course, you don't feel up to handling the hassel but, if it's required by law that your work accomodate you, don't let it slide!!

If I was you I think I would call up Citizens Advice Bureau, or contact Acas to get some advice, as it is wrong for them to get away with this. They just so can't sack you for that reason.

Well I dont know about the laws there but here in the US they would be busted in a heartbeat.. there wouldnt be any long drawn out battle lol.

Is there anyway you can get something from them in email or writing or instant message communication where they mention that is part of the reason? If so they are screwed!

Oh as for your OH tell him to suck it up and bug off.

I know u said u dont want the hassle but that is so so illegal!! Definitely call CAB & get some advice it might not b as difficult to settle as u believe. Best of luck x

If I was you I think I would call up Citizens Advice Bureau, or contact Acas to get some advice, as it is wrong for them to get away with this. They just so can't sack you for that reason.

Acas also! Iv dealt with them when my work messed me about! :)

You really need some free legal advice. You can absolutely take them to the cleaners. Don't just sit back, I know you feel crappy but. Sweetheart, they are taking advantage of you and don't sound like nice people at all. I think you need to have a witness with you, ask for a meeting and discuss it. CAB will be able to help you put a case together. Chances are when boss sees you know your stuff , it suddenly won't be a problem for you to keep your job. Xxxx

I did it with my 1st bub in long day care 10 hr days. You just do what you gotta do :)
I worked at maccas for 5 years when I was younger my older sister was the manager and was preg with my nephew when she worked there.
As long as you're not lifting heavy things you should be ok. Just make sure you drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest at the night time.
In saying all that you definitely do not want to over do it.

Like other people have said, I know you said you don't want the hassle but you really need to go to Citizens Advice because they are completely in the wrong. How do they expect you to get another job when pregnant? I know you said about McDonalds but surely that would be harder work physically so more tiring in that way than a desk job. They are supposed to adapt around you and keep your job open for the duration of your maternity leave. I know it makes it awkward but you need to think of yourself and the baby.

My old boss was quite an idiot with my coworker when she got pregnant. We were a small company and only two real employees with the boss and his partner. His partner had said that she only had two weeks maternity leave when she had a baby (it's her company and she didn't work full time etc so not the same) and my friend must have made a joke about 'yeah i'll have 2 weeks' and they took that as her word!! Despite the legalities etc. They were kind of stuck in the dark ages and because she was a temp who had become permanent just before getting pregnant by chance (it was supposed to happen earlier), my boss tried to sue the recruitment agency saying they were 'in cahoots' as they were friends and my friend got pregnant on purpose! Yeah she's going to have such a commitment as a baby so her friend (recruitment agency) could get a commission! Anyway, that was long winded but when it went to court my boss was told he was dangerously close to breaking sexual discrimination laws. Needless to say she didn't want to return to her job but he still had to keep the position open - she just couldn't face him after he treated her like that. Yours is a more blatant case, they are trying to get rid of you BECAUSE you are pregnant and that's illegal.

What your current employer is doing is illegal - if the reason he is letting you go is due to your pregnancy.

But your OH is right too - there's no reason why you can't take the job in McDonalds. Not to offend but many pregnant women do have jobs on their feet all day, and second/third time mums don't get much in a way of a break either. Employers must ensure you get adquate breaks, and I imagine McDonalds would ensure they play ball. It would be much better for you as a family too as at least you would have some income coming in.

First Tri is proper exhausting, but for most people, it gets better!

Defo take your employer to the cleaners though. I can't remember how maternity pay works (You need to be working for your employer for X amount of time) but you would probably be in a better position there

Nope Im in the UK. I believe I'd be looking at a long legal battle. Whats more, they're really nice people and Im too damn nice for my own good.

Funny! it doesn't sound like they're nice at all. if they were nice they wouldn't be firing you for being pregnant. instead they'd find a repacement as you get closer to being full term..
As far as your OH goes. he's obvioulsy freaking out and acting out in ways that aren't like him. if he truly loves you, he'll settle down. some guys just lose it when they start thinking about all of the responsibility and how life is going to change. it'll be worth it in the end. Good Luck :hugs:

Don't sound like nice people to me, sorry!! They would have to pay statutory maternity of you've worked there long enough, but they re-coup that from HMRC plus they get a bit of money for their trouble!

Sorry hubby appears to have lost his mind! Maybe he's just freaking out at the realization of it all?! X

you need to get it in writing that he is getting rid of you for being pregnant , it is illegal, BUT is that the only reason? if you have been off a lot with sickness , late, not really doing your work any thing like that, you wont win in court, you CAN legally fire a pregnant person, for valid reasons you can NOT fire some one for BEING pregnant. there is no reason you can not work, I have been up for work at 5 am every day this week, okay I sit down, but I have a VERY busy job, and come home exhausted, also I have seen nurses with full blown bellies. I know you prob don't feel like working (like most here) but unless you have a lot in the bank, or other half earns alot you will regret it down the line, you can never have to much money with a baby on the way.
I hope you sort things out

I'm sorry you are going through all of this. Sometimes men don't try or want to understand how difficult pregnancy can be, especially in the early months. I don't know how you can rectify this because I don't know him. My suggestion would be to ask him to review some information about fathers coping with pregnancy. He could be having difficulty accepting the situation. Good luck!

I'm so sorry this is happening to you but your really need to look into ur rights. call cab of acos, it is hassle but less hassle then working in macdonalds heavily pregnant! plus them letting u go could affect ur mat pay if u have a pay drop!

if u really can face it, look into how early you can claim stat maternity pay and try and negotiating leaving at that point?

ignore ur oh, it could be stress at worrying about stuff and now the unemployment....they just don't know how to express it sometimes xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->