Soap in the Mouth....

Hahaha...does anyone else keep thinking A Christmas Story like me?!

Lol I mentioned that earlier:) Didn't he fantasized that the soap made him go blind? That goes to show how mainstream the punishment was "back in the day" , and how people viewed it. A Christmas Story, for those who haven't seen it, is a family movie that they play on TV for 24 straight hours on Christmas Day. It's a classic (and hilarious!). To add to the irony, my FB status on Christmas Day was "Soap...Poisoning...".

Fra-gi-le. Huh. Must be Italian.

So basically it's a "the end justifies the means" situation if it's for hygiene but not discipline. I'm not a big believer in that Machiavelli quote.

yes it does seem that as long as force is used 'for the greater good' then its ok to do it.

Actually I do find the idea of forcefully brushing a child's teeth quite abhorrent. Mine didn't like it when they were little, so if I could manage a second or two of brushing then that was great and if not then I would just try again next time. They rarely had their teeth brushed thoroughly when they were very little, but once they could do it independently they were much more willing to try. If you forcefully brush their teeth, they're always going to fight it and that's probably worse for tooth health in the long run! I would rather make dietary changes and give supplements to halt/heal tooth decay, but I suppose I might feel differently if I was actually in that situation.

Hmmm, tooth decay and baby teeth falling out versus soap in the mouth. Am I the only one that doesn't see a relation? Would you not hsve your child take a bath because they screamed?

I would not force my child to have a bath. Tabitha went through several phases of screaming in terror in the bath. So she hardly had a bath for months on end, and we just washed her in other ways.

Of course there are some things that are absolutely necessary, but I dislike the idea of forcing a child in any way. It's controlling and disrespectful.

I forced Abby to clean her teeth. After trying for months all different ways, encouraging her to do it herself, chewy brushes, all the soft options people suggested and her screaming so me stopping. In desperation I did it whilst she screamed one day, then she realised it wasn't bad at all, and since then there have been no problems. Sometimes the ends do justify the means.

2 years old is too young, but I wouldn't call it abuse. I think some women on here just throw that word out too easily.

I'll go back and read the entire thread once I post this but I have made soap in a lab. For this reason, I don't find it acceptable to force it in my child's mouth. Just knowing what chemicals we used to make it makes me cringe!

I've been trying not to comment on the oral thing because it's too close to home and I don't know how to reply without it being personal. So all I will say is oral rape is horrific, just absolutely horrid for everyone that has it happen to them. It is such an intimate act (obviously don't mean the good intimate). I dont agree with the soap thing but the two are nothing alike. We've read here people say they've had it done to them and they're not traumatised, do you really think any oral rape victim ever said that?

not a fair comparison at all. I'm sure people that had their mouths washed with soap didn't have to go through years of counselling just to learn to live with the act that was done to them like I did...soap does not eaqual rape. To a rape victim, that is in fact minimizing what happened to them.

I've been trying not to comment on the oral thing because it's too close to home and I don't know how to reply without it being personal. So all I will say is oral rape is horrific, just absolutely horrid for everyone that has it happen to them. It is such an intimate act (obviously don't mean the good intimate). I dont agree with the soap thing but the two are nothing alike. We've read here people say they've had it done to them and they're not traumatised, do you really think any oral rape victim ever said that?

not a fair comparison at all. I'm sure people that had their mouths washed with soap didn't have to go through years of counselling just to learn to live with the act that was done to them like I did...soap does not eaqual rape. To a rape victim, that is in fact minimizing what happened to them.

I didnt say the oral rape thing, someone else did in here and it upset me that such a comparison was made. Did you read the rest of my replies on the matter?

I didnt say the oral rape thing, someone else did in here and it upset me that such a comparison was made. Did you read the rest of my replies on the matter?

I quoted you because I agree with you. I guess I could have worded things better. I hadn't slept at all in the last week.

Aaah, okay. I just didnt want you (or anyone) to ever think I would say such a thing. And yes I agree, unfair comparison.

I hope you get some sleep soon x

I haven't read the replies, but swearing isn't a huge issue to me anyway - a stern verbal reminder to keep that language to themselves but it's all about the context. I think the whole concept of swear words is incredibly bizarre. I obviously will teach them swearing will get them in trouble due to public opinion and will absolutely make it clear that swearing in the form of an insult or tease is beyond unacceptable. But a firm punishment over the odd 'oh shit!' isn't for me. So, no I wouldn't use it - and anyone who would put something like hot sauce in a childs mouth because they were experimenting with language is disgraceful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->