Soap in the Mouth....

So since toothpaste is a chemical substance, by that link I am forcing abuse onto my child when I open his mouth and brush his teeth when he refuses too. My SS has seriously rank breath in the morning and hates brushing his teeth.

Of course not, toothpaste is required and a part of a heathy life, it's more "wrong" to give up and not brush. However, soap is not, and can provoke vomiting and upset stomach.

So can swallowing too much toothpaste

Forcing a child to swallow enough toothpaste to make them ill would be just as wrong as soap in the mouth, but that's not what we do when brushing their teeth, we are cleaning them for the sole purpose of getting them clean without punishment or deliberate cruelty :shrug:

For the record, I don't force my child's mouth open if he refuses to brush his teeth - but it's still not on the same level as forcing soap into their mouth.

Big difference: Brushing teeth: necessary Soup in the mouth: unnecessary. End of.

I think time outs are detrimental to a child's development, but it can be abuse if you're forcing your child into a situation for the time out that's not normal, like putting them in a dark cellar or cupboard. Basically, any form of punishment can be made abusive.

Exactly what I'm trying to get at any punishment can be made abusive when taken to extreme, the act itself is not abusive.
Even any act can be made abusive if I forced broccolli into my child's mouth and made then eat it it can be classed as abusive even though its for nutrition health.
One of the main reason certain punishment become illegal/abusive is when too many parents take it to the extreme and it is a lot easier to police something when it is completely illegal.

I am wondering why some are saying its what was done in their day, I am near 31 and never had that done or know of any one doing it. I dont think it was a fashionable thing to do more just some did and some didnt. My mum wouldnt have had that done in her either. And I am sure people still do it now.

And comparing tooth paste to soap. Tooth paste is meant to go in your mouth, soap is not. I thought that was obvious.

No some parents didn't do it some did, just like some parents now adays use time outs some don't. It was seen as a effective moderate discipline even up untill 1996 it was still classed as a moderate form as discipline along with spanking

What if in 30 years from now 'time outs' are seen as extreme discipline and a outdated method, does that mean every parent using 'time out' are abusing their children?

Yes toothpaste is designed for the mouth but if washing the mouth out is seen as abusive because you are forcing your child to open their mouth and put something init, then surely forcing a child to open their mouth and sticking a toothbrush in there when they don't want it done to them can be seen as abusive

The difference is the reasoning behind it. That's where the abuse comes into it. Toothpaste: cleans teeth, helps prevent tooth decay, encourages good oral hygiene. Soap in the mouth: erm...

No it doesn't have any health/hygiene value but what punishment does?

I have never forced anything in my childs mouth, food tooth brushes etc. Not for any greater good or punishment thats for sure. I will come back when the red herrings about tooth past and other off topics go away and the actual main subject is discussed.

I've had to force toothbrushes into Eamon's mouth. His top two teeth are starting to show signs of damage already. Sometimes force is necessary... but not soap in the mouth for swearing I don't think.

I am wondering why some are saying its what was done in their day, I am near 31 and never had that done or know of any one doing it. I dont think it was a fashionable thing to do more just some did and some didnt. My mum wouldnt have had that done in her either. And I am sure people still do it now.

And comparing tooth paste to soap. Tooth paste is meant to go in your mouth, soap is not. I thought that was obvious.

No some parents didn't do it some did, just like some parents now adays use time outs some don't. It was seen as a effective moderate discipline even up untill 1996 it was still classed as a moderate form as discipline along with spanking

What if in 30 years from now 'time outs' are seen as extreme discipline and a outdated method, does that mean every parent using 'time out' are abusing their children?

Yes toothpaste is designed for the mouth but if washing the mouth out is seen as abusive because you are forcing your child to open their mouth and put something init, then surely forcing a child to open their mouth and sticking a toothbrush in there when they don't want it done to them can be seen as abusive

The difference is the reasoning behind it. That's where the abuse comes into it. Toothpaste: cleans teeth, helps prevent tooth decay, encourages good oral hygiene. Soap in the mouth: erm...

No it doesn't have any health/hygiene value but what punishment does?

I think you misunderstood the reason for my comparison. I was showing that the acts of putting toothpaste and soap in the mouth have different reasoning behind them. Toothpaste goes in a child's mouth to clean it which is beneficial for the reasons I listed. Theres not many alternatives to do in order to keep a childs teeth clean and decay free so its a bit of a "needs must" situation. Soap goes in the child's mouth as punishment and no other reason. There are many alternatives to soap in the mouth as discipline so there is no real reason to put soap in a child's mouth. That's where is becomes an issue with soap.

Don't get me wrong I agree there is no real reason behind the punishment apart from a deterrent from swearing.
However you can look at any punishment and say the same thing there is no real reason to put a child on timeout apart from a detterent to misbehave.

I beleive there are other ways to discipline a child and I think soap in the mouth is unnecessary. I just don't see the act itself as abusive.

Completely off topic, but if I had to, I would force a toothbrush into their mouths. Dental hygiene is extremely important, I think neglecting dental care would be the bigger evil compared to forcing a child to have teeth brushed. Luckily, Fin and Amelia both love having theirs done. Xx

Why does it matter? As we can see, the definition of the word itself is subjective and vague. Ironically, aside from the two-syllable label, everyone seems to be in agreement regarding it's present-day usage in their own home. Does that not matter more than what label we as individuals choose to classify it as? Symantics, really:shrug:

are we seriously arguing over brushing teeth??

never in my life have i heard someone say "youve just swore get over here so i can brush yr teeth".

soap is for washing yr body

toothpaste is for brushing teeth to keep them clean and to prevent tooth decay which causes pain.

soap in the mouth would cause pain and discomfort.

i dont understand how u can compare the two. one is a form of hygiene in the place it is supposed to be, the other is a form of control and poor discipline to teach a lesson. where are the two alike?

Now now. No need to be rude, Robinator :winkwink: We are having a debate, no? And isn't tone very difficult to interpret on a forum site?

Lol.

Whaaaaat? Tone isn't difficult to interpret......I know what I mean, so obviously you should, too. :haha:

Why are people are are apparently joking and sarcastic in debate forums? surely its not the place for people who just cant debate without the sarcasm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->