Solids?

honeyprayer

Mommy to Lily :)
Reaction score
We started with purées a few weeks ago and my DD would open her mouth and ate so well off the spoon. Sometimes I give her a big chunk of banana to try BLW but so far she doesn't pay much attention to it. The past 3 days, it's like we're taking a step back. Doesn't open her mouth anymore and if she does, she just spits all the food out. Is this normal or are we going backwards for some reason? How can I get her eating again? I was only offering her purées once a day to start. Help! I hate that it feels like it's getting worse instead of better :(

Normal. I'd keep offering maybe once a day but wouldn't be concerned if she didn't want it.

My daughter did the same. As they develop the reflexes that will happen.

I know you're not asking this but I have to say that I highly recommend doing blw! It teaches them to chew and then swollow, instead of swollow then chew. My daughter started blw arund 6 months and now she is a pro with all foods!! Plus it's so fun to watch them explore, learn and play with their food :)

Here's a great pdf with the basics of blw! [I found it very helpful].

https://www.rapleyweaning.com/assets/blw_guidelines.pdf

Normal! My ds did it and dd is doing the same at the mo. perservere, maybe give a mixture of purees and finger foods?

What's good finger foods to offer?? I already give her a chunk of banana and worry about her choking! :haha:

Toast is really good. Ripe mango with skin on as they get a good grip and kind of scrap the mango off, broccoli florets, cooked carrot sticks, well cooked pasta, cucumber...I'm sure others can add some more...:)

They don't need teeth to eat pasta or meat. Their gums are actually really solid and can grind up things like that, easily!! :D

Their gag reflex is much further forward that adults are. They will gag all kinds but that's a GOOD thing. Here's a little blurb about it [this is if you're practicing blw, which is by far the safest way to introduce food!]

Many parents worry about babies choking. However, there is good reason to believe that babies are at less risk of choking if they are in control of what goes into their mouth than if they are spoon fed. This is because babies are not capable of intentionally moving food to the back of their throats until after they have developed the ability to chew. And they do not develop the ability to chew until after they have developed the ability to reach out and grab things. The ability to pick up very small things develops later still.
Thus, a very young baby cannot easily put himself at risk because he cannot get small pieces of food into his mouth.
Spoon feeding, by contrast, encourages the baby to suck the food straight to the back of his mouth, potentially making choking more likely.
It appears that a baby’s general development keeps pace with the development of his ability to manage food in his mouth, and to digest it. A baby who is struggling to get food into his mouth is probably not quite ready to eat it. It is important to resist the temptation to ‘help’ the baby in these circumstances since his own developmental abilities are what ensure that the transition to solid foods takes place at the right pace for him, while keeping the risk of choking to a minimum.

You've definitely gotten me interested. What would be best to offer her? Already tried banana. What about a stick of cucumber?

Cucumber is great! Here's a list I found for good things to start with!

Banana - this is best served in large chunks for baby to gnaw, as they will be easier for him to hold.

Pear- this can be served raw (if soft, ripe and juicy) or lightly steamed if the texture doesn't seem 'gummable'.

Avocado - we call it 'nature's perfect baby food'... and with good reason! An excellent source of healthy fats that requires no cooking, avocado is another food best served in larger chunks for baby to get his gums into!

Apple - the texture is somewhat harder than pear, so raw apple is not ideal for toothless tots just getting started with solids. Steam or bake chunks of apple until tender before serving.

Peaches/nectarines - these can be given to baby raw (if nice and soft) or lightly cooked.

Plums - like peaches, these often have a 'squishy' texture when raw... but if they seem a little hard, then steam them lightly before serving.

Melon - a very soft, juicy chunk of cantaloupe or watermelon is ideal for baby led weaning and provides lots of nutrients too!

Then there is a handy tip -
Foods like banana and avocado can be notoriously difficult to pick up and become more slippery the more they are handled. A good solution is to roll the pieces in wheat germ or sugar-free crushed cereal - or cut them with a crinkle cutter, which makes ridges and gives your baby something to grip!

Once your baby has developed the pincer grip...
then you can move on to fruits like blueberries and cut grapes, which may be difficult for younger babies to pick up.

More great info is at babyledweaning.com :D

Thank you!! I just gave her a finger size strip of cucumber and she brought it to her mouth and just sucked on it :haha:

Think we'll try this for a bit!!

Thank you!! I just gave her a finger size strip of cucumber and she brought it to her mouth and just sucked on it :haha:

Think we'll try this for a bit!!

That's perfect!! That's what my daughter did the first few times as well!! :haha:

I guess I'll just try offering some fingers foods as she seems to be telling me she's done with spoon feeding lol She brings practically everything to her mouth right now so I bet doing BLW will work for her. Still nervous about the gagging/choking but we'll take it one step at a time ;) thx!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->