Some opinions on these girls names...

Mrs.Steer

Reaction score
We have found out that we are expecting a girl (well they said 90% certain)
I have been having a think of some names and would ideally like to have a choice of 3 to choose between after she is born.

I wanted a different name that wasn't too weird or chavy.
I wanted a Welsh name either as 1st or middle name (one that I have not come across in other people I know and that was easy to pronounce properly by non-Welsh speakers)
I wanted the name to have a meaning that had some relevance

So I like these with the surname Steer:-

1) Tesni Brooke
Tesni is welsh for "warmth from the sun" the baby is due early June
I am open to other one syllable middle name options for this name though

2) Tala Ffion
Tala is native american for a form of wolf (we have a husky dog). and Ffion is welsh name meaning rose

What do you think? Please alert me to any possible negative points to the names that may have passed me by. Any ideas on a potential 3rd name?

I like them! Tesni is very pretty.

How do you pronounce Ffion? (Fee-own?).

I vote for Tesni Ffion Steer :)

Ffion pronounced 'fee' 'on'
Although Tesni can have any English one syllable middle name as Tesni itself is the Welsh name
Thanks ..keep em coming

Sorry - both of those open your baby up to my pet-hate - mummy or daddy choosing names they like rather than ones that will be good for the baby.

Tesni? Tala? Ffion? Please, please, please, tell me you are kidding and you are not actually seriusly considering lumbering your baby with any of these names. I have grown up with a non-traditional spelling (Saara, rather than Sarah) and trust me, I would have given anything at school age to have a 'normal' name. And mine was only a different spelling to a very tradional name in my own country - I hate to think what it'd be like for a child called 'Ffion' or 'Tala'. I know I certainly would not touch a name such as that with a barge-pole. I think to do so is tantamount to child-abuse.

Sorry - both of those open your baby up to my pet-hate - mummy or daddy choosing names they like rather than ones that will be good for the baby.

Tesni? Tala? Ffion? Please, please, please, tell me you are kidding and you are not actually seriusly considering lumbering your baby with any of these names. I have grown up with a non-traditional spelling (Saara, rather than Sarah) and trust me, I would have given anything at school age to have a 'normal' name. And mine was only a different spelling to a very tradional name in my own country - I hate to think what it'd be like for a child called 'Ffion' or 'Tala'. I know I certainly would not touch a name such as that with a barge-pole. I think to do so is tantamount to child-abuse.

I'm sorry but I think you're being quite rude here. The names she's chosen are not tantamount to child-abuse. It's not like she's proposing to call the kid sh*t-head! And Ffion isn't that uncommon I think you'll find (I personally know two, one my age and one in her late 40s and they both wear it beautifully).
I'm sorry you had such a bad time with your name. But that doesn't automatically mean that every other child with an unusual name will have the same experience. Or that calling your child something common is an insurance against heartache. I know a David for example who used to be really upset about his name as a child because there were always 35 other Davids around.
You're entitled to your opinion and to call your child whatever you think is best for them. But please remember that opinions on names are highly subjective and also that it's quite a sensitive topic for people as it's one of the first decisions they make for their new baby. You can say what you think but I think it'd be nice if you took a little more care not to upset people.

Back to your question Mrs Steer. I really like Tesni and Ffion. Tala I think is cute but I can't imagine a grown woman called Tala. I don't mind Brooke but it's not really my cup of tea.
Any reason why you specifically want one sillable after Tesni?
How about:
Tesni Rose Steer
Tesni Elisa Steer
Ffion Tesni Steer
Tesni Ffion Steer
Qwendolyn Tesni Steer (Qwen)
Tesni Fiona Steer
Fiona Tesni Steer

I think the name Tala is gorgeous xx

I'm sorry but I think you're being quite rude here. The names she's chosen are not tantamount to child-abuse. It's not like she's proposing to call the kid sh*t-head! And Ffion isn't that uncommon I think you'll find (I personally know two, one my age and one in her late 40s and they both wear it beautifully).
I'm sorry you had such a bad time with your name. But that doesn't automatically mean that every other child with an unusual name will have the same experience. Or that calling your child something common is an insurance against heartache. I know a David for example who used to be really upset about his name as a child because there were always 35 other Davids around.
You're entitled to your opinion and to call your child whatever you think is best for them. But please remember that opinions on names are highly subjective and also that it's quite a sensitive topic for people as it's one of the first decisions they make for their new baby. You can say what you think but I think it'd be nice if you took a little more care not to upset people.

My name was always abit of a problem as people never know how to pronounce it (it's pronounced terri - lee) but i wouldn't change it i love having an unusual name, i'm 21 and i've never met anyone with my name and i like the fact there's only ever been one of me to all the people i know. I'm always complimented on my name xx

I really like Tesni

And Amygdala - i was thinking the exact same thing! im glad you new how to put it into words

I love Tala, think thats a lovely name.

Not sure about Tesni if im honest but thats just my opinion!

I also know a couple of girls called Ffion and thin it suits them, I wouldnt have said it was a particularly way out or unusual name or unusual spelling?!?!

My name was always abit of a problem as people never know how to pronounce it (it's pronounced terri - lee) but i wouldn't change it i love having an unusual name, i'm 21 and i've never met anyone with my name and i like the fact there's only ever been one of me to all the people i know. I'm always complimented on my name xx

That's true! I only know one terrilea over here. I like that it's more original :)

How rude!!!!! I actually think Sarah is quite BORING and over common but seeing as you can quite clearly be so rude to someone over their choice of name i will be rude about yours! Bloody hell.....you just had to give an opinion. Not be nasty. CHILD ABUSE? That is so offensive to people having gone through child abuse.

Anyway back to the OP's question......

Tala isnt my cup of Tea but I LOVE Tesni!!!! Really different!

I can't believe you actually just said that. Child abuse:nope:

i'm sorry WHAT?! the OP is from wales, they are welsh names. what the hell is wrong with calling a child a traditional name from your own country?!

heaven forbid your parents had called you something lik heather or eilidh.

Sorry but I think this is a very rude post, ok you may not like the names but was there any need for that?
These names are traditional welsh names.
Child abuse? give me a break!!
Also we do have a meber with the name Ffion and I think it is lovely

Can't believe you actually just said that :shock:

:shock: child abuse?? are you serious??

I think the traditional welsh names are a lovely idea as they mean something special and although you are entitled to your opinion in that you dont like them... there was absolutely NO need to be so rude to the OP

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->