Some parts of the US are seriously behind -__-

I didn't know there was no gas and air in the US! That's crazy! Where's the US/UK differences thread?

There's like 3 that offer it :( they have been saying for years they're bringing it back but it's just not happening :nope:

Wow :nope:

So, the options are nothing or epidural? I take it they offer some sort of morphine or something too?

There are some in between Iv meds but again I think only some offer it as baby gets some of it in their system.

I didn't know there was no gas and air in the US! That's crazy! Where's the US/UK differences thread?

There's like 3 that offer it :( they have been saying for years they're bringing it back but it's just not happening :nope:

So, the options are nothing or epidural? I take it they offer some sort of morphine or something too?

There are some in between Iv meds but again I think only some offer it as baby gets some of it in their system.

Well that's crap.

I'm not sure of statistics, but I often get the impression that epidurals are more common in the USA. I wonder (if statistics reflect that) if that's because of the lack of options RE gas and air (and maybe other pain relief) and if, in turn, this affects the high rates of C sections. From my observations, it seems epidurals often lead to crash sections because of the propensity for labour to slow down/baby goes into distress (something I mostly attribute to the fact that you have to lie on your back with an epi, I'm of the opinion that being upright and/or motion helps A LOT).

Well that's crap.

I'm not sure of statistics, but I often get the impression that epidurals are more common in the USA. I wonder (if statistics reflect that) if that's because of the lack of options RE gas and air (and maybe other pain relief) and if, in turn, this affects the high rates of C sections. From my observations, it seems epidurals often lead to crash sections because of the propensity for labour to slow down/baby goes into distress (something I mostly attribute to the fact that you have to lie on your back with an epi, I'm of the opinion that being upright and/or motion helps A LOT).

Epis are a ton more common here. So many moms I've spoken to just want the magical cure all so they go for it. I feel like the beauty of labor isn't as accepted here and that the need for medication is already in women's minds before they even conceive. I also think a large part of that is also it being so difficult to be aloud to move around here. So many doctors want you flat on your back because its easier and then they strap a monitor on you the whole time and jus ignore you. It's too much hassle to let moms labour properly.

With ds I had a nurse put me flat on my back, like bed down flat everything and his heart rate drop and it caused a big scary fuss. Mil is a nurse and was very upset that they did this to me. She said it was a big no no and the nurse should have known better. But she did it because it was more "convenient" for her.

*mil is a retired maternity nurse ;)

Almost every mother i know here in the US had an epidural. I don't want one and dh thinks i'm crazy. He is going to be absolutely no help at all during delivery, because when he sees me in pain, he'll try to convince me to get it. People just look at you like you're nuts if you say you don' want it.

Almost every mother i know here in the US had an epidural. I don't want one and dh thinks i'm crazy. He is going to be absolutely no help at all during delivery, because when he sees me in pain, he'll try to convince me to get it. People just look at you like you're nuts if you say you don' want it.

Last pregnancy I broke down and screamed at OH. He kept getting his digs in and what seemed to me like he was not supportive and didn't think I could do it. Like I wasn't strong enough as a person or something. He told me he just wanted me to be aware that it was going to be a lot harder than I thought. I totally understand it will be hard, probably one of the hardest things I have ever done, but the most rewarding by far! :thumbup: I'm actually reading an article about VBAC and natural delivery right now. I'll pass it along. Very empowering

https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/vbacchoice.asp

Last pregnancy I broke down and screamed at OH. He kept getting his digs in and what seemed to me like he was not supportive and didn't think I could do it. Like I wasn't strong enough as a person or something. He told me he just wanted me to be aware that it was going to be a lot harder than I thought. I totally understand it will be hard, probably one of the hardest things I have ever done, but the most rewarding by far! :thumbup: I'm actually reading an article about VBAC and natural delivery right now. I'll pass it along. Very empowering

Is it the same if you have a midwife instead of an OB? Generally a midwife doesn't ever push for an epidural if you don't want it, whereas for an OB it's standard procedure. Having no epidural is absolutely doable - people do it all over the world every day. I have 2 children and haven't had one. I like being in control of my own labour (I walk right up to the end), and I like being able to get up and shower right after skin-on-skin with my new LO (so OH can have time), and going home asap. An epidural starts you "in the system" right away - at least where I live. After the epi you can no longer feel the pain level and can't gauge how hard to push, it can stall labour since at this point most women are lying down, and it is more likely that further interventions will be necessary. I hate hearing stories of women who go into the hospital and are scoffed at (or get the eye-roll, or get the sarcastic "I guess this is your first??" or "we'll see") for not wanting an epi. Being in labour is tough and without support (from OH, nurses, and primary care provider) it is really hard to not be pushed into things or feel like you're "being silly" for not following someone else's idea of what childbirth should be. For all US mamas who don't want an epi - you can do it! Make sure the people at the birth with you are 100% behind your decision. :hugs::hugs:

Also Darlin65 - I would have been sooo pissed at my OH if he started telling me how hard labour is while I was in labour! Obviously I know as I'm in it! :growlmad: Telling me it will only get harder/worse plays right into the fears that women can't birth babies without an epi!

Is it the same if you have a midwife instead of an OB? Generally a midwife doesn't ever push for an epidural if you don't want it, whereas for an OB it's standard procedure. Having no epidural is absolutely doable - people do it all over the world every day. I have 2 children and haven't had one. I like being in control of my own labour (I walk right up to the end), and I like being able to get up and shower right after skin-on-skin with my new LO (so OH can have time), and going home asap. An epidural starts you "in the system" right away - at least where I live. After the epi you can no longer feel the pain level and can't gauge how hard to push, it can stall labour since at this point most women are lying down, and it is more likely that further interventions will be necessary. I hate hearing stories of women who go into the hospital and are scoffed at (or get the eye-roll, or get the sarcastic "I guess this is your first??" or "we'll see") for not wanting an epi. Being in labour is tough and without support (from OH, nurses, and primary care provider) it is really hard to not be pushed into things or feel like you're "being silly" for not following someone else's idea of what childbirth should be. For all US mamas who don't want an epi - you can do it! Make sure the people at the birth with you are 100% behind your decision. :hugs::hugs:

Also Darlin65 - I would have been sooo pissed at my OH if he started telling me how hard labour is while I was in labour! Obviously I know as I'm in it! :growlmad: Telling me it will only get harder/worse plays right into the fears that women can't birth babies without an epi!

This was just constantly throughout my pregnancy. I never actually got to go into labor. We went to have DS turned and he wouldn't so they booked us for a section same day. I will be trying for a VBAC this time. Hopefully all goes well. There is a huge shortage of midwives I think. I go to one of the only mw practices in my area and drive 30min each way to get there and back. They are very supportive of no meds. They actually stay with you pretty much the whole time if you go natural. They offer in hospital water births too (was supposed to be the plan with DS) However, they support you if you feel you really need the epi and they have no limit on when you can get it. I asked and she laughed and said they had a woman just the other day who had began pushing and received one :haha: I love my mw care. I was with an ob the first half of my pregnancy and didn't receive proper care at ll. They got my blood type wrong, didn't offer proper tests and would get mad when I asked for them, didn't measure me and wouldn't see me in emergency situations like no movement for 24+hrs

They just came out in MD like this month! They have been around babyandbump for while.

I can see why it would be harder to not get an epi if there's no gas & air. Here they will often try to get you not to have an epi because it can have its disadvantages.

Most of my friends just used g&a.

Is it the same if you have a midwife instead of an OB? Generally a midwife doesn't ever push for an epidural if you don't want it, whereas for an OB it's standard procedure. Having no epidural is absolutely doable - people do it all over the world every day. I have 2 children and haven't had one. I like being in control of my own labour (I walk right up to the end), and I like being able to get up and shower right after skin-on-skin with my new LO (so OH can have time), and going home asap. An epidural starts you "in the system" right away - at least where I live.

We don't have that many midwives where I am, and DH is against me using one. Most people i know think you are crazy if you use one. I would like to use a particular one who has a birthing center. We are going to an orientation for it, but they send you home after 6 hours and that scares me with this being my first. I haven't had that much experience with newborns.

I'm not afraid of natural childbirth, i think i'm strong and stubborn enough to do it, i just don't want to deal with people pushing drugs on me, or other interventions.

Farmmom if you don't mind me asking where are you at? Maybe call your insurance and look for a cnm. It's a midwife that delivers at a hospital. They usually have a couple midwives at the practice and one or two obs. You only see the dr. For high risk and emergencies and if you do need a csection. I only had one visit with the actual dr. Last pregnancy. They are usually willing to support whatever you want whether its natural or with meds. They encourage moing around and trying different positions. They won't admit you until you are 6cm and most offer hospital water births :winkwink:

Farmmom if you don't mind me asking where are you at? Maybe call your insurance and look for a cnm. It's a midwife that delivers at a hospital. They usually have a couple midwives at the practice and one or two obs. You only see the dr. For high risk and emergencies and if you do need a csection. I only had one visit with the actual dr. Last pregnancy. They are usually willing to support whatever you want whether its natural or with meds. They encourage moing around and trying different positions. They won't admit you until you are 6cm and most offer hospital water births :winkwink:

I'm in ohio and there is actually a cnm at my ob practice but DH is not on board so far. I have not met her but plan to visit her birth center. I don't really want to deliver at the hospital where my ob and cnm have privileges but i'll probably have to. When i referred to a lack of midwives, i was thinking more of the US as a country where there are mostly oBs and i'm sure it's next to impossible to find a midwife in some areas.

I'm in ohio and there is actually a cnm at my ob practice but DH is not on board so far. I have not met her but plan to visit her birth center. I don't really want to deliver at the hospital where my ob and cnm have privileges but i'll probably have to. When i referred to a lack of midwives, i was thinking more of the US as a country where there are mostly oBs and i'm sure it's next to impossible to find a midwife in some areas.

Hubby wasn't really on board at first either. I was fed up with my ob tho. We had such crap ob care and once we had our first appt he saw how amazing they were. Maybe just try to get him to agree to a few visits first? The actual visits are pretty routine like a regular dr. Visit but they care a lot more and It's more personal.

That article was truly inspiring! I think I have made my choice with my delivery. I think I am going to look for a midwife and look into having a water birth! I know it will be painful but I am confident that is the best way to give birth to my child. No medicine and no cesareans! That was a great article.

Is it the same if you have a midwife instead of an OB? Generally a midwife doesn't ever push for an epidural if you don't want it, whereas for an OB it's standard procedure. Having no epidural is absolutely doable - people do it all over the world every day. I have 2 children and haven't had one. I like being in control of my own labour (I walk right up to the end), and I like being able to get up and shower right after skin-on-skin with my new LO (so OH can have time), and going home asap. An epidural starts you "in the system" right away - at least where I live.

We don't have that many midwives where I am, and DH is against me using one. Most people i know think you are crazy if you use one. I would like to use a particular one who has a birthing center. We are going to an orientation for it, but they send you home after 6 hours and that scares me with this being my first. I haven't had that much experience with newborns.

I'm not afraid of natural childbirth, i think i'm strong and stubborn enough to do it, i just don't want to deal with people pushing drugs on me, or other interventions.

Oh I'm sorry your DH is against you using one! Maybe meeting the MW and doing a tour of the birthing centre will help. My OH was against a home birth last time, but we went to info sessions where they showed us all the stats, went through everything and discussed all worst-case scenarios. Also they have a dad group at my MW centre where dads who have gone through it or delivered their children (that was our plan) could talk and ask questions. It was soooo helpful and my OH became totally comfortable! In the end we had a hospital birth because my daughter wasn't full term, but it was still a fabulous birth with our midwife.

But don't worry about going home after 6h! We usually get to go home after 4h at the earliest but I've never been able to (preterm and other things). I would much rather go home with the baby and bond in my own home that sit in an uncomfortable hospital bed with beeping sounds, babies crying, nurses coming in, etc. If there are any issues after the birth you won't get to leave until all is absolutely well. Once your LO is here, you mama instinct will take over! :hugs::hugs:It is a bit surreal though at first when they just let you leave the hospital with a newborn. With my first I was thinking "Hey - Where's my entourage of nurses to help??" :haha:

I don't know if it's pregnancy hormones or not, but reading all of this made my eyes fill with tears! I had no idea what it's like over there. I've wanted to be a midwife since I was very young, so it's a subject very close to my heart. To a midwife, medical intervention being pushed on women is horrific! Birth is NORMAL, and doesn't need to medically managed unless there is a real need for it. In the UK, all births are managed with a midwife unless it's high risk, in which case it still is but a ob will be involved too.

It just makes me feel really sad, because I think many women aren't really aware of the risks of epidurals and I hate the thought of women just being stuck on a fetal monitor and left on a bed. It's not a good or logical way to labour, at all.

I, personally, really do not want an epidural. However, I'm also terrified of being in so much pain that I beg for one. I almost wish it wasn't available to me. The hospital I am having my baby at has a maternity ward, and a birthing centre. This is the birthing centre:

https://www.whittington.nhs.uk/images/user/Birth%20Centre%20Image%201_9645.jpg

https://www.whittington.nhs.uk/images/user/Birth_Centre_2_400px_with_grey_border_8260.jpg

And some info about it: https://www.whittington.nhs.uk/default.asp?c=9643

I really want to give birth at the birthing centre. However, if you want an epidural, you're transferred to the labour ward. I am so adamant I don't want an epi, but I'm just scared I'll crack :nope:. I'll be extremely disappointed in myself if I have it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Well that's crap.

Epis are a ton more common here. So many moms I've spoken to just want the magical cure all so they go for it. I feel like the beauty of labor isn't as accepted here and that the need for medication is already in women's minds before they even conceive. I also think a large part of that is also it being so difficult to be aloud to move around here. So many doctors want you flat on your back because its easier and then they strap a monitor on you the whole time and jus ignore you. It's too much hassle to let moms labour properly.

With ds I had a nurse put me flat on my back, like bed down flat everything and his heart rate drop and it caused a big scary fuss. Mil is a nurse and was very upset that they did this to me. She said it was a big no no and the nurse should have known better. But she did it because it was more "convenient" for her.

*mil is a retired maternity nurse ;)

This was just constantly throughout my pregnancy. I never actually got to go into labor. We went to have DS turned and he wouldn't so they booked us for a section same day. I will be trying for a VBAC this time. Hopefully all goes well. There is a huge shortage of midwives I think. I go to one of the only mw practices in my area and drive 30min each way to get there and back. They are very supportive of no meds. They actually stay with you pretty much the whole time if you go natural. They offer in hospital water births too (was supposed to be the plan with DS) However, they support you if you feel you really need the epi and they have no limit on when you can get it. I asked and she laughed and said they had a woman just the other day who had began pushing and received one :haha: I love my mw care. I was with an ob the first half of my pregnancy and didn't receive proper care at ll. They got my blood type wrong, didn't offer proper tests and would get mad when I asked for them, didn't measure me and wouldn't see me in emergency situations like no movement for 24+hrs

I had a labor of 84 hours, the only thing that saved me towards the end was the epidural....I do wish we had more options at the hospital like these birthing suites though!

I had a labor of 84 hours, the only thing that saved me towards the end was the epidural....I do wish we had more options at the hospital like these birthing suites though!

Oh, I totally understand that. I'm not totally anti-epidural, I just think that often times they're pushed on women or handed out like sweets without people being fully informed of the potential complications.

You guys don't have these as standard? Do you have other places like this to go to?

Also, how much does having a baby cost in America? I'm floored by the idea of having to pay for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->