Some questions from a relative newbie....

GreyGirl

Pregnant with no2!
Reaction score
I think I'm coming around to the idea that I'll be FF alongside BF for the foreseeable future. We've been muddling along so far with massive downs and a few little ups...So now we're going for it, I have some questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them.

1. Is a bottle warmer a good investment? I'm thinking of using it at night to save having to go downstairs and to speed up the process for less crying. Can anyone recommend a good/cheap one?

2. Is it a suitable method to make up the bottles for the day then put them in the fridge until needed? Can someone please explain any other methods?

3. Is Aptimel really bad for wind/sick? I've been reading on here some people found that and then switched and all was fine... How do you go about switching? Is cold turkey ok or do I need to stagger the feeds, switching between them? (Obviously not mixing the actual formula.)

I think I've got more, but can't think what right now...will come back if I remember!

I think I'm coming around to the idea that I'll be FF alongside BF for the foreseeable future. We've been muddling along so far with massive downs and a few little ups...So now we're going for it, I have some questions, if you wouldn't mind answering them.

1. Is a bottle warmer a good investment? I'm thinking of using it at night to save having to go downstairs and to speed up the process for less crying. Can anyone recommend a good/cheap one?

2. Is it a suitable method to make up the bottles for the day then put them in the fridge until needed? Can someone please explain any other methods?

3. Is Aptimel really bad for wind/sick? I've been reading on here some people found that and then switched and all was fine... How do you go about switching? Is cold turkey ok or do I need to stagger the feeds, switching between them? (Obviously not mixing the actual formula.)

I think I've got more, but can't think what right now...will come back if I remember!

1. Personally I think they're a waste of money. I put my bottles in the microwave for 3o seconds max (gets it to room temperature) and swish it around a bit - never had any problems, I just make sure I mix it well and check and double check the temperature on my wrist. I can be up and ready with a bottle in about 3 minutes - compared to at least 10 with a bottle warmer.

2. It depends on what formula you use - although it is never recommended to premake bottles and you're supposed to make them fresh each time, I don't know anyone that does that! Also I've known anyone be ill from premade bottles as long as you're careful. What I do - (I use hipp organic) during the day I make a flask of boiling water and make bottles fresh from that to save boiling the kettle multiple times. At night I make up 2 bottles and keep them in the back of the fridge for convenience during the night. If I'm going out I just carry the flask with me.

3. Can't answer this one!

:winkwink:

1 we never used a bottle warmer. lo drinks his bottles at room temp. sometimes if its really cold il put in the microwave for 20 secs and shake it up really well.
i dont know how long it takes a bottle warmer to heat up a bottle, but if its faster than a minute then it might be worth it.

2 we use aptamil. i boil the kettle once in the morning and use that throughout the day. lo has his own kettle.

3 i think you could switch to another formula by swapping in the new formula with one bottle per day til lo is drinking all his bottles of the new stuff. not sure about aptamil being extra gassy though, we have not had any issues with that :)

1. I LOVE my bottle warmer, can't live without it. The formula is the perfect temperature in like 2-3 minutes, depending on how may ounces are in the bottle. The first poster mentioned about it taking 10 minutes...doesn't take nearly that long, not the one I have anyway. I personally won't heat a bottle in the microwave though, not even for the hot spot reason though. Even though they're BPA free, I worry that it will over time hurt the integrity of the plastic, if that makes sense lol. Plus microwaves and the free-radical thing, idk, it also bothers me that heating up the formula that way will destroy the nutrients in it. That's me though, so I'll only use a warmer or a cup/bowl of hot water and the warmer is WAY faster. Here's a link to the one I have :https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2403657

2. I make up 24 hours worth and store them in the frig. This is something that's always sort of up for debate on here though lol. I'm in the US and our guidlines say it's perfectly fine to do.

3.We have different brands of formula in the US, so no direct experince with that kind, but I'm assuming it's a matter of how well most babies do on just regular formula vs. needing a more easily to digest one. It really depends on the baby and you really can't know until to try. It's a trial and error thing. switching isn't hard, you can go cold turkey or you actually can mix the formulas in the same bottle to do it gradually, that's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->