Some questions

lil-star

Reaction score
Baby was born at 30+4 with IUGR and weighing 895g.
How long does it take for a baby to take a bottle? He's only on 49mls every 4 hours and takes about 20-25 mins, is that slow? I've never had or been around a baby so I don't know
He's 7 weeks old today, how much do you think he can see? he has been discharged from the eye doctor but wonder what exactly can he see now, would it be newborn sight or less?
How long does your premmie stay awake? I read on the other thread about sleep times but he just nearly always seems to be asleep and rarely wakes fully for a feed (eyes open and alert)

It will take a while to take feeds - it's hard work for them. I BF so have no idea how long it takes to down a bottle, but certainly a breastfeed can take that long or longer.

In terms of isght, he will still have newborn sight and likely will for a couple of months. Blurred shapes and strong colours. I think they can see about ten inches so gazing at your face will be a favourite pastime.

Abby was awake for less than 45 minutes at a time for the first few months. To be honest, that's about as much as they can do. Any longer and they burn more calories than they are taking in a feed. Whilst they are sleeping, they are growing. I do worry when people want their babies awake more. Fast forward 6 months when you can't get them to take a nap and you'll realise that having them sleep alot so you can rest too is brilliant for you both.

I agree with everything she said. my lo was born at 34+2 and is now 36+2 and takes 80ml 4 hourly and it can take him 45 mins to drink it all.

My LO was born at 27 weeks and I BF to start with which was pretty hard work for her and she was quite slow. She was given bottles by the nurses when I wasn't able to be there and when she came home at 39 weeks I was bf and topping up with a bottle and it still took ages then. I was told not to bf for more than 30 mins when we got her home, and then top her up, and she was probably taking half an hour to take a little top up after the breast feed. It's really hard work for them - with them being premature they have to work harder than full term babies. We do still occasionally have what DH always calls "The world's slowest bottle"!

Sophie was asleep a lot when she was in neonatal and when she was first home - I remember my mum saying she never saw her awake! I think it was the middle of August that she started to be awake for more of the day, so she was 5 months actual, 2 months corrected. Now at 8 months actual, 5 months corrected she rarely sleeps through the day and is completely alert and interested in EVERYTHING! Sometimes I wish she would take a little nap now and again, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->