sorry a touchy subject but what do you think of euthanasia?

hawalkden

Reaction score
This is a random question and I hope it doesn't offend anyone? If anyone has been affected by it and liked to share their story go ahead.

I'm just wondering what people think of euthanasia for either it be a human or animal?

The reason I'm asking is my granddad died of Cancer when I was 18 and he'd have been 100 today. My gorgeous little :angel:.. and he was very very weak with it and if it was up to me 'euthanasia' I'd have let him go much sooner and not let him suffer the last few weeks in and out of consciousness and didn't have a clue at all who people were and he looked scared at all times.

When it comes to animals my parents had a gorgeous golden retriever at my parents my Baily Boo.. and he was 16 before he started showing the weakness, but he always wanted to go out for walks but just couldn't make it off the floor. My dad took him down to the vets on his own and made sure that he was with him all the way. Their other golden retriever was down for weeks without his pal! In my eyes though it reminds me of my granddad but were as I would have let him go peacefully like Bailey did my granddad had to suffer for the 2 long weeks before going in his sleep with no drips etc inside of him..

So I believe when people are at the stage in their lives regardless of their age I believe their family should have the right to choose what's best for them.

When I was born I had a brain haemorrhage and a stroke and was on a life support machine for a week; my parents said they aren't giving up and they left it on for a few more days and I got better then again 20 years later on my birthday I was in a Diabetic Coma and was on lie support for 8 days and again in a consultants room my mum, dad and fiancé was in the room asking if they'd want it to be turned off. Which they didn't and I'm still here to tell the tale and try and help newly diagnosed diabetics about how they can get the extra help off their Diabetic Team!

Now after writing that paragraph about my two times on life support and my family having the choice of turning it off. In my eyes that's euthanasia but just because I'm in a bad way the consultants and doctors have the right to ask but when it came to my granddad who was going to die 'eventually' as one macmillan nurse said; we just had to wait. Which I don't think is right at all; just because animals can't talk and just struggle on and because I wasn't able to do anything whilst on the life support makes me think it's noone rights besides the family if something happens to me.

With regard to people who have a disability or MS etc and they just can't cope with the pain everyday I believe if the condition gets worse it's like making a will they should have the right to have their family help them die the way they want to.

Hope I haven't made this thread into a rant! I just want to see what people think and what you'd do in a situation regarding euthanasia? Also sorry it's a negative thread for a Tuesday morning.

regardless of their age I believe their family should have the right to choose what's best for them.
I have a MASSIVE problem with the above sentence.
This would open the doors for all sorts of murderous behaviour.
It is the INDIVIDUALS right to decide - NOT their family/friends.

I also have a problem with this sentence
I believe if the condition gets worse it's like making a will they should have the right to have their family help them die the way they want to.

What about MY rights as a family member NOT to help someone die?

Hmmm, its a tough one because where do you draw the line at? Certain illness or everything? Its not an easy decision.

I can only really say what I would feel and if I was really ill and didnt want my family to watch me suffer then I would do it.

I 100% do not agree with this comment - regardless of their age I believe their family should have the right to choose what's best for them -- Every individual has rights whether your a son, daughter, sister, parent.

its a tough call.. and as i haven't had to suffer a death in my family i don't honestly know how i would feel, but sometimes i can't help but think we are "kinder" to animals then to people, a person can lay dying for weeks in great pain, but you take a dog to the vet in great agony and they will "put it out of its misery" of course i'm not really comparing the value of friends/family to that of a dog, just a way of thinking about it..... so yes i think people should have the choice to have their lives medically ended.. but who would want to do it ? i actually imagine alot of doctors would do it tbh, as alot are for this are they not ? x

I 100% disagree with euthanasia :) Not all familys have their relatives best interests at heart and i think theres huge potential for 'patients' to feel like theyre a burden and thats NO reason to want to die. I think people don't really understand the end of life process in the UK tbh and think people are suffering when theyre not. Another reason why I don't think relatives are qualified to make such a huge decision.

& what about dementia patients? Should they be euthanised at the familys request? Some dementia patients are blissfully unaware of whats going on but they're happy enough and get into their own little routines. What about those with motor neurons or parkinsons who can't communicate but are sound of mind? Should they be given a drug to kill them even though they dont want to die?

its a tough call.. and as i haven't had to suffer a death in my family i don't honestly know how i would feel, but sometimes i can't help but think we are "kinder" to animals then to people, a person can lay dying for weeks in great pain, but you take a dog to the vet in great agony and they will "put it out of its misery" of course i'm not really comparing the value of friends/family to that of a dog, just a way of thinking about it..... so yes i think people should have the choice to have their lives medically ended.. but who would want to do it ? i actually imagine alot of doctors would do it tbh, as alot are for this are they not ? x

No, doctors and nurses are generally at very opposite ends of the spectrum and its usually a nurse who thinks 'enough is enough' when the doctor is giving them yet another round of IV antibiotics and ordering a blood test every day :shrug:

I disagree with euthanasia. My Grandad was riddled with cancer and very poorly but he wouldn't have wanted us to end it for him, at all. He wanted to fight it right up until the end and to spend us much time with us as humanly possible. It was heartbreaking & I hate remembering how poorly and frail he was because my Grandad told me he'd live forever.

This is a random question and I hope it doesn't offend anyone? If anyone has been affected by it and liked to share their story go ahead.

I'm just wondering what people think of euthanasia for either it be a human or animal?

The reason I'm asking is my granddad died of Cancer when I was 18 and he'd have been 100 today. My gorgeous little :angel:.. and he was very very weak with it and if it was up to me 'euthanasia' I'd have let him go much sooner and not let him suffer the last few weeks in and out of consciousness and didn't have a clue at all who people were and he looked scared at all times.

When it comes to animals my parents had a gorgeous golden retriever at my parents my Baily Boo.. and he was 16 before he started showing the weakness, but he always wanted to go out for walks but just couldn't make it off the floor. My dad took him down to the vets on his own and made sure that he was with him all the way. Their other golden retriever was down for weeks without his pal! In my eyes though it reminds me of my granddad but were as I would have let him go peacefully like Bailey did my granddad had to suffer for the 2 long weeks before going in his sleep with no drips etc inside of him..

So I believe when people are at the stage in their lives regardless of their age I believe their family should have the right to choose what's best for them.
When I was born I had a brain haemorrhage and a stroke and was on a life support machine for a week; my parents said they aren't giving up and they left it on for a few more days and I got better then again 20 years later on my birthday I was in a Diabetic Coma and was on lie support for 8 days and again in a consultants room my mum, dad and fiancé was in the room asking if they'd want it to be turned off. Which they didn't and I'm still here to tell the tale and try and help newly diagnosed diabetics about how they can get the extra help off their Diabetic Team!

Now after writing that paragraph about my two times on life support and my family having the choice of turning it off. In my eyes that's euthanasia but just because I'm in a bad way the consultants and doctors have the right to ask but when it came to my granddad who was going to die 'eventually' as one macmillan nurse said; we just had to wait. Which I don't think is right at all; just because animals can't talk and just struggle on and because I wasn't able to do anything whilst on the life support makes me think it's noone rights besides the family if something happens to me.

With regard to people who have a disability or MS etc and they just can't cope with the pain everyday I believe if the condition gets worse it's like making a will they should have the right to have their family help them die the way they want to.

Hope I haven't made this thread into a rant! I just want to see what people think and what you'd do in a situation regarding euthanasia? Also sorry it's a negative thread for a Tuesday morning.

I am sorry but that whole sentence is just wrong.

It's not for the family to decide!!!!

I agree with it but only if the person themselves wants it. It shouldn't be up to the family to decide it. But counselling etc should be required beforehand so the person has a chance to consider if its really what they want. No one should have to suffer in pain if they don't want to, especially if they already have a terminal disease.

Surely if someone really wants to die then they can just kill themselves via other methods?

Surely if someone really wants to die then they can just kill themselves via other methods?

I thought this too, without the possible threat of criminal charges too.

V xx

surely tho if a person WANTS to die they should be allowed ? ..

edit: wrote this before i saw the similar answers above x

then they can do it themselves? Instead of bringing possible criminal charges into it and asking your family to assist in killing you. Thats a huge ask and i dont think its fair on the family anyway.

In hospitals do not attempt resus forms are filled out without the consent of the family. Its a doctors decision and IMO i think its right.

i think the point is tho .. that alot of people don't have the ability to kill themselves once they are that ill ... or they are restricted due to their condition

also i don't think it should be down to the family, i think its a purely medical decision, and should be between a doctor and their patient... this has been a huge debate/issue for a long time tho, whilst i say it should be down to a doctor, i do think alot of doctors would be uncomfortable with it, but they have the right to refuse (like with certain ova procedures) and pass it on to another doctor ? this still however doesn't help patients who are unable to communicate... x

There was a program on TV a few months ago. Terry Pratchett went to Sweden or Norway, or was it Belgium??....I forget which one, to follow people who decided to end their own lives by assisted suicide.

They would go for a mental health check up to determine they were of sound mind when making the decision they wanted to end their lives, for whatever reason, medical reasons mainly and then when it came to the actual day. They would sign forms to declare again that they were of sound mind and even again just before, they would be asked again while being videoed that they were certain of the decision they were making.

They would at first be given a solution to drink to line the stomach to prevent vomiting when the overdose of whatever they were given to drink would be drunk. They would fall into a very deep sleep, then their heart would just stop.

This method of assisted suicide, I agree with. The guy's wife was with him, she saw the entire thing and she had people to comfort her once he had gone and there was a strict protocol to follow to ensure that the man was euthanised without any comebacks. It's not illegal over there to do it.

On a personal level, it's not something I could or would do. I would be petrified to do it. If my parents asked me to assist them in dying, I really don't think I could do it. But I do understand why people get to that point and I have to admire the person who helps their loved one out so selflessly to help end their pain and suffering. It can't be easy and the mental anguish afterwards must be unbearable, which is the main reason why I wouldn't be able to do it.

Honestly by that stage if they're THAT ill they can't consent to it anyway so it would still be wrong.

(eta - ill enough that they cant kill themselves)

Some people aren't in the position to be able to do it themselves (hooked up to machines, paralysed, etc.) so require help.

My OH has often spoken about euthanasia if we do not get treatment for him soon. I'm not sure how I could cope with it but in the end it is his choice. Its not legal here though.

Just because someone is weak of body, does not make them ill in the mind !! :/

Euthanasia confuses me a little...is agreeing to have a loved ones life support machine switched off counted as Euthanasia?

Who said that it did? The situation you are meaning are reallllllllllllllllllly rare and i doubt it would happen much :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->